MacNN Forums (
-   Gaming (
-   -   Recommend some iPad games (

Rumor May 1, 2013 09:40 PM
Recommend some iPad games
I'm looking specifically RPG's and strategy. Hopefully, real RPG's not action RPG's.
P May 2, 2013 05:16 AM
Not sure about RPGs, but if you're a strategy fan, you should check out the Battle of the Bulge game. Pricey for iOS, but a very well made game.

If you include tower defense in strategy, Plants vs. Zombies is excellent and Kingdom Rush is pretty good.
Mike Wuerthele May 2, 2013 03:01 PM
There are LOADS of eurogame conversions - I get my news about that over at

BIG fan of the Ticket to Ride series.
turtle777 May 2, 2013 03:46 PM
Settlers of Catan and Carcassonne are my favorite board game adaptations.

Rumor May 2, 2013 10:57 PM
I have Talisman and am downloading Baldur's Gate now. I'll check those out as well. Thanks.
Leonard May 3, 2013 11:01 AM
I don't know if it an RPG, but I like the "free" strategy game "Battle Nations". It's one of those games similiar to "We Rule" where you have to build up a city or in this case an Outpost. Create housing, stores, military buildings, resource buildings, etc. but you also have to build up an army and fight against other armies and enemies in a turn-based mini-game. You can also get assistance on resources from people on your friends list. There's also alot of hilarious missions with narratives.

It seems to have quite a following and seems to have regular updates.

Warning, there are in-game transactions for what they call nanopods which helps you build things faster or get better military units. But you can also get a fair amount of nanopods free.
Rumor May 9, 2013 09:09 PM
That sounds a lot like Clash of Clans in regards to the gameplay format.
P May 10, 2013 04:59 AM
There is also the PC classic The Settlers.
Leonard May 10, 2013 10:25 AM
Quote, Originally Posted by P (Post 4229999)
There is also the PC classic The Settlers.
You aand Turtle seem to think alike! :D
turtle777 May 10, 2013 08:56 PM
I always thought Settlers of Catan was a much better game than The Settlers. But maybe that's just me.

subego May 12, 2013 01:05 AM
It doesn't get more real than this.

App Store - Baldur's Gate: Enhanced Edition

Old school to a fault.
Rumor May 15, 2013 12:08 AM
Picked it up but haven't had much time to play yet. I like the fact there is a new (ish?) campaign mode.
Rumor May 31, 2013 01:06 PM
Knights of the Old Republic is now available.
subego Jun 3, 2013 02:42 PM
Quote, Originally Posted by Rumor (Post 4230566)
Picked it up but haven't had much time to play yet. I like the fact there is a new (ish?) campaign mode.
Sorry I missed this. AFAIK it's only an "arena mode".

I went right for the standard campaign (again). The game was designed to work with five NPCs, or none. If you play with none, you get all the juicy experience points for yourself and become epically powerful.

I'm not quite at solo play yet, but I'm trying to run only one NPC for as long as possible. This is partially because I like paladins, and running the game solo without class based healing is extremely hard.

The game is a paradise for self-imposed limitations.
Rumor Jun 6, 2013 10:38 PM
Warhammer Quests is pretty fun. I've been playing it for a couple days now.
subego Jun 7, 2013 04:43 PM
In-app purchases... EWWWWW!

It's WH though, so I'm willing to consider it. How obnoxious is the IAP model?
Mike Wuerthele Jun 7, 2013 08:38 PM
Beware warhammer quests. IAP are gold. Random events can STEAL a large percentage of your gold.
subego Jun 8, 2013 11:22 PM
On the surface that sounds awful, but it really depends (somewhat) on the game's economy.

I actually like the grind in RPGs, so it's a question of how obnoxious the grind becomes without IAP. At the worst end of the scale you can never get enough gold without an IAP. At the best end you have your grind "sweet-spot".

I guess the key question is how much time it takes to earn X gold without IAP vs. the real-world price of gold?
Rumor Jun 12, 2013 01:34 PM
I haven't had to buy anything other than the game yet.