MacNN Forums (http://forums.macnn.com/)
-   Gaming (http://forums.macnn.com/gaming/)
-   -   PS4 / DS4 / UI Discussion (http://forums.macnn.com/77/gaming/506076/ps4-ds4-ui-discussion/)

The Final Dakar Nov 20, 2013 09:34 AM
PS4 / DS4 / UI Discussion
Rather than clutter up the news thread with discussion I thought I'd create a separate thread for questions and continuing impressions. The round-up so far:

Quote, Originally Posted by The Final Dakar (Post 4257986)
Initial impressions: It's good to have a real D-PAD again. No, actually its epiphanic.

Oh good what's that sound?! Oh, right, silence. I haven't even noticed the thing make any noise other than restarting. It's installing BF4 right now and all I hear is a mild whirr.

If I'm motivated enough to work it out, does anyone want me to livestream BF4 tonight?
Quote, Originally Posted by The Final Dakar (Post 4258003)
So I went to start BF4 but it told me I needed to update to play. This after sitting on my dashboard for an hour. Not any different from the 360, but since they tout auto updates I thought this would have already happened.

What is different from the 360 is the inability to pause or prioritize downloads. So now I have concurrent downloads slowing the update down.
Quote, Originally Posted by The Final Dakar (Post 4258022)
Initial impressions on BF4/PS4

I always advocated for CoD on this and jesus, it's twice as impressive in BF4: The framerate. Its buttery smooth and it is engrossing. It's a shame I don't think this translates over livestreams as well.

I will get a lot of hate for the next item: The left joystick. It is awful. Time will tell if the placement is truly counterintuitive, but for the time being it feels like a literal stretch to use. By default they have sprint set to hold and now I understand why – its difficult to click and hold L3 while using it. I immediately switched back to default.

Otherwise I like almost every other aspect of the controller. Face buttons are less jutty compared to the XBOX jellybeans, which is way more comfortable. In what is good timing, I've begun lamenting the 360 triggers as too "long" as I find myself death gripping them in GTA trying to max acceleration that is already maxed. The DS4 triggers are ergonomic smooth and feel efficient. Not too sudden, not too long.

The new start button (options) is easy to get used to. No issues there. Haven't had use for the click pad yet. As I said before, the D-PAD is excellent, if misplaced.

Load time: Like 10 secs, tops. Once the main menu had loaded the disc stopped spinning and all was silent in the world.

Fun times: I saw the option for motion which included lean and vehicle freecam. Oh my good lord. I was on a Quad and I couldn't look around – until I started moving my controller. In 60 fps its all the more disconcerting. Flying a helicopter was damn near impossible as my grip kept the controller off center on screen.

However, I tried it for leaning. I could never figure out how to use that in the 360 beta, but aww yiss, this has potential. (In the meantime, I switched freecam to hold button, which should alleviate my problems.

Graphics: Looks slightly sharper, detailed, etc. Standard fair. Smoke from explosions seems minimal thus far. Collapsed a building and I could see graphical jumps as it went through preset "levelutions". Looks dark ATM and not sure if its the map or my settings.

Oh yeah, was able to disable the battlelog in game.
Quote, Originally Posted by The Final Dakar (Post 4258042)
My thumb already hurts from using L3. For all of two games. Ugh. I think I recall this from the PS2 days.

Anyway, I'm off for now, I'll leave a note when I resume broadcasting.

Quote, Originally Posted by The Final Dakar (Post 4258152)
Addendum to this, and I hope Jawbone can corroborate: The stick placement isn't the largest contributing factor to my thumb pain. It's the button hardness. I think I read about this in a preview, but Sony's DS controllers have L3 and R3 buttons that are harder to click than their MS counterparts. Now, the idea isn't without merit as I accidentally melee'd maybe 3 times last night, which is staggeringly low since my being out of practice would indicate a lot of panicked clicking, so I assume the button is to thank for this.

The problem is where melee (R3) is used only sparingly in day-to-day gaming, Sprint (L3) is used continuously. So, you know, tradeoffs. I don't think the awkward placement of the joystick where I have to stretch my left thumb helps, as I lose leverage when clicking. People think asymmetrical makes no sense but I just demonstrated that as far as ease of clicking is concerned, asymmetrical is the name of the game.

The other unexpected consequence of moving the D-Pad was I didn't realize I use my right thumb on it with some frequency in BF4. In the game the d-pad is used to deploy equipment and seeing as you spend a lot of tie running, taking my left thumb off the joystick slows me down. So on the 360 once I was running in the right direction I had picked up a habit of reaching over with the right thumb and triggering equipment, such as the defibrillator. So from that perspective, the PS layout is objectively worse for me.

All that said, I prelaunch I spoke of possibly buying a 3rd party controller if I didn't like the layout. But after less than a days play my appraisal of the DS4 quality is so high that I can't fathom the tradeoff in quality by picking up one manufactured by someone else being worth it.
Quote, Originally Posted by The Final Dakar (Post 4258162)
I know its early but I think I an give a verdict on the PS4: Don't buy one unless you have a game you really want for it. And if you do have a game you're dying to play, if its multi consider that a launch system is going to have drastically smaller player populations to draw upon for matchmaking.

Otherwise, the UI is good enough coming from XBOX. The hardware case is ugly, but far better than the XBOX One and arguably the prettiest non-Nintendo console since the PS2. The controller is great, though personally falls short of excellent. Reliability remains TBD.

The Final Dakar Nov 20, 2013 09:35 AM
Can't get over the size difference:
http://www.thesixthaxis.com/wp-conte...3/11/ps4x2.jpg

The Final Dakar Nov 20, 2013 09:40 AM
So, I do have a UI complaint – there's no easy way to check the time. Now I know what you're thinking, just hit the PS button. And you'd be right. Except when you're broadcasting a warning comes up when you enter the dashboard that covers the time display, so you have to wait 3 - 5 second for it to fade.

Second, there's also no quick way to check your battery status. This time you have to hold the PS button (like turning off your XBOX) to see the battery status on the bottom of the screen. Further the battery icon is only three segments to xbox's four, so it feels less precise.

The Final Dakar Nov 20, 2013 11:27 AM
So here's my complaint about the DS4 – the battery being internal is stupid. It sucks.

Scenario: You playing the DS4 and runs out of juice. What do you do?

Answer 1: Plug the USB cable into it to charge it while gaming.
This means you have a USB cable hanging out of the front of the PS4 at all times.

Answer 2: Grab the USB cable, plug it into the PS4 and DS4. Continue playing.
This means you're out of the action for at least 30 sec.

Answer 3: The USB cable doesn't reach from the PS4 to your position on the couch.
This means you sit on the floor or get ****ed.

Far as I can tell, I should start treating the DS4 like a cellphone – don't play it until the battery is nearly dead, charge it nearly everyday. Doesn't strike me as energy efficient or good for the battery, but I'm no expert.

Also, I can't wait until I either wear out a DS4 with a good battery or the battery dies on still playable DS4.

P Nov 20, 2013 02:06 PM
Just get a USB charger and plug it in somewhere behind your couch. Nothing special with the electrons from the PS4.

The Final Dakar Nov 20, 2013 02:09 PM
Quote, Originally Posted by P (Post 4258400)
Just get a USB charger and plug it in somewhere behind your couch. Nothing special with the electrons from the PS4.
I plugged into my computer last night. With my kindle cable.

My living room arrangement doesn't quite lend itself to that idea though.

The Final Dakar Nov 20, 2013 02:26 PM
Oh, I forgot to mention that the DS4 triggers do have a tendency to be activated by the act putting the controller on surface anything less than delicately. Since I can't use my remote for Netflix, this has caused Netflix to fast-forward once in the brief time I've used it.

Stogieman Nov 20, 2013 02:56 PM
Quote, Originally Posted by P
Quote, Originally Posted by The Final Dakar (Post 4258401)
My living room arrangement doesn't quite lend itself to that idea though.
Get yourself one of these.

Amazon.com: Photive 2600mAh Portable Backup Battery Charger Power Bank. Mobile Power Source for Smart Phones and Digital Devices: Cell Phones & Accessories

The Final Dakar Nov 20, 2013 03:01 PM
Eeeesh... like I said I have to start treating it like a cell phone. I'll charge every other session or after marathon ones.

Stogieman Nov 20, 2013 04:58 PM
Quote, Originally Posted by The Final Dakar (Post 4258337)
Can't get over the size difference:
http://www.thesixthaxis.com/wp-conte...3/11/ps4x2.jpg
And that's without the big ass power brick.

The Final Dakar Nov 20, 2013 05:21 PM
I wonder how it would fit on the empty space to the left of the PS4.

angelmb Nov 21, 2013 10:10 AM

The Final Dakar Nov 21, 2013 10:11 AM
So, the UI got its first real test last night ...it was not promising.

First off Sony seems to go out of its way to not prioritize any function of the dashboard, which means that your friends list is several taps away. Further, once you go to your friends menu, you have to specifically choose to view who's online.

Next, leaving the dashboard is annoying – on XBOX just hit cancel (B) repeatedly and you're back in the game. Here I foudn the PS4 inconsistent, sometime shitting the PS button would return me to the game. In this instance I had to "start" BF4 to return to it. Oh and the reason I went into my friends list, to invite Jawbone – I didn't see the option. Easily possible that I missed it.

---

On a positive note, I had an unexpected event in BF4 last night and I immediately realized "use the share button" so I would save the past 15 minutes. However, there's nothing I can do with the clip, really. I won't upload it to facebook, there's no way to edit it, and previewing it has no sound. Also, it's not possible to delete it from the main menu, as far as I can tell.

I'm also not sure how you get the PS4 to stop saving your recording – when I logged off for the night I had several 15 minute 737 MB files. I'm hoping that since editing software will take some time they patch in the ability to export the files sooner.

Illuminating night.

The Final Dakar Nov 21, 2013 10:20 AM
Quote, Originally Posted by angelmb (Post 4258536)
[IMG]http://cdn0.mos.techradar.futurecdn.net//art/games_consoles/Xbox%20One/review/_G0A9695-900-90.jpg[IMG]
Umm, wrong thread, I think

---

Two tother things I forgot:

People are complaining that their TVs are reflecting the blue light on the front of the DS4. I haven't noticed it, though as soon as I look for it, I see it. I also haven't tried gaming in a darkened room.

I plugged in the cheap-ass earbud/mic last night to talk to jawbone. Seemed fine. Not sure what his impression was.

angelmb Nov 21, 2013 03:24 PM
Quote, Originally Posted by The Final Dakar (Post 4258540)
Umm, wrong thread, I think
Actually it was meant to serve as reply to "I wonder how it would fit on the empty space to the left of the PS4." by trying to illustrate how big the external power brick is… by not to mention the hugeness of the Kinect.

Apologies for the lack of clarity.

The Final Dakar Nov 21, 2013 03:28 PM
Ohhhh. Thanks, that makes sense now.

angelmb Nov 22, 2013 04:45 AM
Also, I didn't want to derail your thread. I like the PS4, –and this comes from a Nintendo-guy, but getting one just for MLB The Show is a bit of a step… might look for an used PS3 slim.

The Final Dakar Nov 22, 2013 09:26 AM
Quote, Originally Posted by angelmb (Post 4258685)
Also, I didn't want to derail your thread. I like the PS4, –and this comes from a Nintendo-guy, but getting one just for MLB The Show is a bit of a step… might look for an used PS3 slim.
I bought the PS4 for BF4 – but I don't think that's the only game I'll be getting in the next 6 months. The only console I ever bought for one game was the original PlayStation for NBA Live – sports games were horrific on the N64. And I still bought other games for the PS.

Jawbone54 Nov 25, 2013 12:22 PM
Quote, Originally Posted by The Final Dakar (Post 4258540)
People are complaining that their TVs are reflecting the blue light on the front of the DS4. I haven't noticed it, though as soon as I look for it, I see it. I also haven't tried gaming in a darkened room.
I see it on my glossy LED, but it's never interfered with gameplay. I only noticed because the screen went black while loading KZ.

I plugged in the cheap-ass earbud/mic last night to talk to jawbone. Seemed fine. Not sure what his impression was.
Your mic sounded good. I had issues because I'm using my V-MODA over-ear headphones, and there isn't any output from my mic coming through the headphones, so I'm not sure if I'm whispering or yelling. I'm not sure about the technical terms, but I'm sure you understand what I mean.

Quote, Originally Posted by angelmb (Post 4258685)
The PS3 library is awesome, but I'd hold off and check out what else piques your interest. Infamous: Second Son, The Order: 1886, Driveclub, Kingdom Hearts III, PlanetSide 2, MLB 14, Elder Scrolls Online, Watch Dogs, War Thunder, The Witness...all coming soon.

The Final Dakar Nov 25, 2013 02:08 PM
I definitely settled into the DS4 this week. I played some XBOX midweek and switched to the PS4 later that night and didn't even notice the joystick location change. This weekend I had no noticeable thumb pain – until I played some TDM.

The battery life is worthless – I swear my awful XBOX batteries last just as long and they've been dying for a year. At the end of Saturday night and SUnday night it was completely drained both times. Sony needs to release the official charger already so I can stop hooking it up to my computer.

The Final Dakar Dec 3, 2013 11:06 AM
Repeating myself, but the battery life on this thing is dreadful. I expect we'll be seeing a future revision with a better battery and an option to turn off the LED (user estimates it could be killing life by 20%). I have to charge this thing every night after I'm done.

Stogieman Dec 3, 2013 12:05 PM
What sucks is there's no indicator to tell you the battery is almost dead. I had the "Reconnect the Contoller" window pop up in the middle of a BF4 battle. The least they could do is make the LED flash when your battery is almost dead. (Like on the xbox.)

The Final Dakar Dec 3, 2013 12:10 PM
Quote, Originally Posted by Stogieman (Post 4259893)
What sucks is there's no indicator to tell you the battery is almost dead. I had the "Reconnect the Contoller" window pop up in the middle of a BF4 battle. The least they could do is make the LED flash when your battery is almost dead. (Like on the xbox.)
There's an on screen pop-up that says "Your Dualshock Battery is getting low"

Stogieman Dec 3, 2013 12:23 PM
I never got that pop-up. Come to think of it, I don't get pop-ups when friends come online. Maybe there's a setting buried somewhere I need to change.

My 2nd biggest complaint with the Dualshock 4 is the sensitivity on stick clicks. If I put the slightest pressure on the right stick, my character goes prone. I can't tell you how many times I've died in BF4 because of that.

The Final Dakar Dec 3, 2013 12:26 PM
Quote, Originally Posted by Stogieman (Post 4259897)
I never got that pop-up. Come to think of it, I don't get pop-ups when friends come online. Maybe there's a setting buried somewhere I need to change.
Nope, doesn't happen.

Quote, Originally Posted by Stogieman (Post 4259897)
My 2nd biggest complaint with the Dualshock 4 is the sensitivity on stick clicks. If I put the slightest pressure on the right stick, my character goes prone. I can't tell you how many times I've died in BF4 because of that.
Hahaha, its definitely less click prone than the 360 controller. I've very rarely gone prone accidentally.

Stogieman Dec 3, 2013 12:37 PM
What are you using for a headset/mic Dakar? The one that comes with the PS4 is an absolute joke. I've ordered a PS4 compatible cord for my Turtle Beach headset.

The Final Dakar Dec 3, 2013 12:39 PM
Quote, Originally Posted by Stogieman (Post 4259903)
What are you using for a headset/mic Dakar? The one that comes with the PS4 is an absolute joke. I've ordered a PS4 compatible cord for my Turtle Beach headset.
Until I can find a wireless version of a XBOX headset that works with the PS4, that's the one I'm using.

The Final Dakar Dec 3, 2013 12:40 PM

Jawbone54 Dec 3, 2013 01:09 PM
I'm currently using the V-MODA Crossfades, but there isn't any additional functionality since they're just music headphones.

After the holiday season, I'm going to save up a bit and grab some gaming headphones. I'd appreciate you guys' opinions on your purchases.

The Final Dakar Dec 3, 2013 01:20 PM
I'm just not a headphone guy. I alive alone and have a great sound system.

Jawbone54 Dec 3, 2013 01:22 PM
Having a two-year-old changes everything.

The Final Dakar Dec 3, 2013 01:35 PM
I'll take obvious statements for $200, Alex

Stogieman Dec 3, 2013 01:56 PM
I love my Turtle Beach Earforce x41's. A bit pricey but I picked mine up after redeeming a bunch of Amazon gift cards from work.

EAR FORCE X41 - Turtle Beach, Inc.

Jawbone54 Dec 3, 2013 02:24 PM
Quote, Originally Posted by Stogieman (Post 4259919)
I love my Turtle Beach Earforce x41's. A bit pricey but I picked mine up after redeeming a bunch of Amazon gift cards from work.

EAR FORCE X41 - Turtle Beach, Inc.
I had the Turtle Beach PX5 headphones since they worked with PS3 and 360. I really liked them, but after two years they went out, so I went with Sony's Pulse headset, which felt cheaper but was much more comfortable and had some integration with the PS3.

Turtle Beach has the PX4 headset available, but I'm probably going to wait to see if Sony puts out another Pulse headset.

The Final Dakar Dec 3, 2013 07:34 PM
Oh, I watched a DVD on it this weekend. Because of HDCP (or whatever copy protection) it actually momentarily disconnects from my TV as it switches output to watch the DVD. During this time you seem to be disconnected from PSN as hitting the PSN button asked me if I wanted to stop watching the DVD, at which point the TV would indicate the HDMI was switching sources again.

None of this bothers me much, as when I'm watching a movie I don't really want PSN alerts, but others might care so I though I'd share. I assume this behavior will be replicated when watching a blu-ray.

The Final Dakar Dec 10, 2013 11:36 AM
Bears repeating, battery life on the controller sucks.

I do get notifications while watching a DVD.

Booting up from stand-by doesn't seem any faster than a cold boot

Stogieman Dec 10, 2013 02:08 PM
I wish the PS4 would save more than one WiFi profile. I've been lugging my PS4 between my house and my brother's these past few days. It sucks having to go through the wifi setup everytime I switch locations.

The Final Dakar Feb 11, 2014 03:58 PM
So there have been complaints about DS4 durability since the get go. Last night I noticed there was a tear in the rubber of my Left joystick. A few weeks ago someone I play BF4 with had to buy a new controller because the right trigger was broken.

Jawbone54 Feb 11, 2014 07:33 PM
My left thumbstick is wearing down pretty badly. I'm having difficulty gripping it, as it feels a little grainy and parts of it are peeling away.

boy8cookie Feb 11, 2014 08:23 PM
~ 3 months isn't very long life for a controller... Hopefully version 2 is better.

The Final Dakar Feb 12, 2014 09:17 AM
Quote, Originally Posted by boy8cookie (Post 4266978)
~ 3 months isn't very long life for a controller... Hopefully version 2 is better.
With a better battery

Inteldrour Mar 2, 2014 10:53 AM
From what I've seen, the DS4 has many features, but not too many games right now to make use of them. That's why I feel like the change wasn't worth it. The touchpad is a fancy feature, but it only drains your battery faster and it doesn't help much for the gameplay.

Jawbone54 Mar 3, 2014 11:23 AM
The difficulty with the touchpad is that it's actually integrated into the device. The reason the Move and the Kinect didn't constantly slap you in the face and remind you of how great a failure they were is because you could just throw them in a box or a drawer and never think of them again.

Meanwhile, I keep looking down at the trackpad and wondering why it's there at all. The trackpad and LED light are both looking like a huge waste.

[EDIT] And the LED light reflects pretty badly against my small, glossy LED screen that I use for the PS4.

The Final Dakar Mar 3, 2014 11:29 AM
The LED is for use with the camera, right? It's what makes their resistance to turning it off so mind-boggling. They must think of it as a signature or like the look because I don't get it.

As for the touchpad, I'm willing to wait. In another year if no mainstream games use it, it'll just be a relic. (It acts as two additional buttons, so I think it'll get used sooner or later)