MacNN Forums (http://forums.macnn.com/)
-   iPhone Apps (http://forums.macnn.com/iphone-apps/)
-   -   Good IM app??? (http://forums.macnn.com/110/iphone-apps/396459/good-im-app/)

bindigok Jul 30, 2009 09:00 PM
Good IM app???
I've tried several apps for chatting/IM and I can't find one. Any suggestions?

I tried fring, but it does not have landscape keyboard.
I tried IM+ but it doesn't notify you if you are using another app.
I tried Nimbuzz but it doesn't save your chats if you come back to them from another app.
I tried ebuddy but landscape doesn't work, and it crashes a lot.

Right now I'm using Nimbuzz because I like the landscape keyboard, it supports AIM/Mobile Me and google chat, and it does a good job notifying me of a message if I'm in another app. But I can't see my chats once I come back, it's like starting all over again. I want something like Adium or iChat for the iPhone/iPod.

bindigok Jul 30, 2009 09:08 PM
Anyone used beejive? it has terrible reviews on itunes.

philm Jul 31, 2009 02:47 AM
I'm not sure any of the apps do the background notification thing. How about Palringo? Seems quite polished.

kylef Jul 31, 2009 05:02 AM
Quote, Originally Posted by bindigok (Post 3868132)
Anyone used beejive? it has terrible reviews on itunes.
Beejive is great. It's such a popular application so the reviews that you'll read won't be overly promising. I've never had it crash or stutter; it's fairly easy to get your way around it; and it has push notifications.

It's expensive, but for a one off purchase it is *very* much worth it.

bindigok Jul 31, 2009 06:47 AM
Does Beejive have landscape keyboard? If I leave Beejive and come back, will my chat still be there? I don't mind buying it if it's good and has all these features. Do the notifications work well, work fast?

A lot of apps claim to have push notification and landscape keyboards, but those features don't actually work, like Fring or IM+. IM+ will email you if you get a chat, but I don't want email I want a beep and number on the icon. Nimbuzz has great notification in the background.

bindigok Jul 31, 2009 06:53 AM
Quote, Originally Posted by philm (Post 3868180)
I'm not sure any of the apps do the background notification thing. How about Palringo? Seems quite polished.
According to the Palringo page the version with Push not. is not released yet.

shifuimam Aug 1, 2009 07:55 AM
TBH, I've been using AOL's official AIM client. 90% of my buddies are on AIM, so I don't *need* access to other protocols in the short periods of time when I'm not near a computer.

What I want more than anything else is an iPhone app and a Windows app or utility that will put all your logfiles in one central repository.

ghporter Aug 1, 2009 01:56 PM
I'd like to see a multi-protocol client, one that could chat with AIM, Yahoo, and even (gasp!) MSN users, but I haven't even found one (that works for me, anyway) for my Mac... But I'd think that push and notification even if the app isn't in the foreground would be essential to any chat client.

So far I haven't bothered with any chat on my phone-I'm not yet adept at typing quickly on the iPhone's (admittedly better than any other phone I've seen) keyboard. Big fingers, you know...

boy8cookie Aug 1, 2009 02:29 PM
Quote, Originally Posted by ghporter (Post 3868537)
I'd like to see a multi-protocol client, one that could chat with AIM, Yahoo, and even (gasp!) MSN users, but I haven't even found one (that works for me, anyway) for my Mac... But I'd think that push and notification even if the app isn't in the foreground would be essential to any chat client.

So far I haven't bothered with any chat on my phone-I'm not yet adept at typing quickly on the iPhone's (admittedly better than any other phone I've seen) keyboard. Big fingers, you know...
For your mac? Use Adium It does everything from AIM, MSN, even Facebook.

adamfishercox Aug 1, 2009 02:38 PM
IM+ full has push notifications. The lite version does not.

ghporter Aug 1, 2009 03:41 PM
Quote, Originally Posted by boy8cookie (Post 3868545)
For your mac? Use Adium It does everything from AIM, MSN, even Facebook.
You can see how little I've looked for such a client-I don't spend much time chatting. I've heard of Adium, just not looked into it.

kylef Aug 1, 2009 04:53 PM
Quote, Originally Posted by bindigok (Post 3868197)
Does Beejive have landscape keyboard? If I leave Beejive and come back, will my chat still be there? ... Do the notifications work well, work fast?.
Yes, yes and yes.

gradient Aug 4, 2009 08:02 PM
Quote, Originally Posted by kylef (Post 3868570)
Yes, yes and yes.
+1 I LOVE Beejive. It's the best $$ I've spent in the app store.

anthology123 Aug 18, 2009 03:46 PM
I have found that Yahoo IM chat has push notification, and my battery drains faster, does any of the other IM apps do this? I assume push in general will cause faster battery drain.

gradient Aug 18, 2009 11:17 PM
Beejive just released an update today that let's you stay logged on to your IM accounts for 7 days - a HUGE improvement over the previous maximum of 24 hours.

The best iPhone IM app just got better.

carterx Aug 19, 2009 02:35 PM
Adium doesn't have a iPhone app does it? DIdn't think they did. I know it's been talked about.

Hg2491 Aug 22, 2009 08:01 AM
I've been using IM+ full version for a while and haven't found any problems with it. On the other hand, my friend's Beejive App takes up to 30 seconds to restore.

kylef Aug 23, 2009 05:57 AM
Quote, Originally Posted by Hg2491 (Post 3875498)
I've been using IM+ full version for a while and haven't found any problems with it. On the other hand, my friend's Beejive App takes up to 30 seconds to restore.
Don't find that IM+ has the most cramped user interface? I had to review the Twitter section of it a while back it was very, very hard to use.

mdc Aug 23, 2009 09:01 PM
I'm very happy with Nimbuzz which support different services and also push notifications, it's also free.

Peter Sep 4, 2009 05:10 AM
Beejive is the best one. Has a 7 day offline messaging thingo.

sogbrightlight Sep 17, 2009 11:35 PM
Why don't they have iChat on the iPhone?

besson3c Sep 18, 2009 12:00 AM
Quote, Originally Posted by shifuimam (Post 3868485)
TBH, I've been using AOL's official AIM client. 90% of my buddies are on AIM, so I don't *need* access to other protocols in the short periods of time when I'm not near a computer.

What I want more than anything else is an iPhone app and a Windows app or utility that will put all your logfiles in one central repository.
What kind of logfiles?

gradient Sep 19, 2009 07:17 PM
Quote, Originally Posted by besson3c (Post 3884847)
What kind of logfiles?
A global chat history, sync'd between desktop(s) and iPhone would be fantastic.

juliasmith Oct 19, 2009 06:55 AM
Here's a bunch I found!
This site has a bunch listed:

spam link removed
This is apps that are IM, 3 stars and above with at least 5 reviews that are free!

Julia

ghporter Oct 19, 2009 07:11 AM
Goofed on the link, Julia. It's a private address on your LAN...

LWgifts Nov 6, 2009 04:59 AM
No-one's mentioned Ping yet, and while it's not *quite* IM, it might fulfill a lot of the IM-related needs you have without feature-overload. Essentially the same as Blackberry Messenger.

j.donald Nov 30, 2009 02:27 AM
try these
Try the given ones :

ApolloIM and MobileChat !!!!:stick:

pros: ApolloIM pop up a number next to its application icon and indicates new/unread messages.
MobileChat displays incoming instant messages in text bubbles.

con : these apps support only AOL IM.

shifuimam Nov 30, 2009 11:13 PM
Quote, Originally Posted by besson3c (Post 3884847)
What kind of logfiles?
Chat logs.

Also: I use eBuddy now on my iPhone. It's a bit slow to start up, but is otherwise good.

Rumor Dec 12, 2009 04:02 AM
Anyne tried Trillian Astra?

kylef Dec 12, 2009 06:32 AM
Quote, Originally Posted by Rumor (Post 3915055)
Anyne tried Trillian Astra?
Yep, I prefer BeejiveIM.