MacNN Forums (http://forums.macnn.com/)
-   iPhone Apps (http://forums.macnn.com/iphone-apps/)
-   -   iCloud backup - in need of some aid (http://forums.macnn.com/110/iphone-apps/505543/icloud-backup-in-need-some-aid/)

PeterParker Nov 2, 2013 09:09 AM
iCloud backup - in need of some aid
Hello,

could someone explain iCloud backups to me? I'm thinking about redoing my backupping, but I'm not so sure.

Firstly, as anyone, I wonder about reliability - won't the Apple servers ever fail? Did they, ever?

Secondly, how does it work? Apparently, there's no file system, right? I'm an old man, see, still gathering the news...
I want to backup photos, texts, presentations. What if I use Apple apps? What if I don't?

Thirdly, how do the various offerings differ? Only in space available? Is the free five gig offering coming with the same functionality as the others?

Greetings,
PeteParker

P Nov 2, 2013 02:20 PM
Apple's servers have not failed, but they have been unavailable during longer periods.

I don't use it for my Macs, but for iDevices it seems to pick up all user data and then reinstalls the OS and apps from the App Store if you have to restore. This is good because it means that 5GB stretches quite far.

I believe the only the difference between the levels is the space offered, but I'm not certain about that.

PeterParker Nov 4, 2013 02:40 PM
Alright. This is not what I wanted to know. What if I take one GB of photos, can I backup them? Can I backup like a few hundred documents written in Pages or Word? Can I backup any file format? How about PDFs?

Spheric Harlot Nov 4, 2013 08:34 PM
iCloud will back up EVERYTHING on your iPhone/iPad/iPod touch that is not an app installed from the App Store, or music.

This includes all application data.

besson3c Nov 4, 2013 09:04 PM
Quote, Originally Posted by Spheric Harlot (Post 4255886)
iCloud will back up EVERYTHING on your iPhone/iPad/iPod touch that is not an app installed from the App Store, or music.

This includes all application data.

Apple apps, that is, not third party apps downloaded outside the store.

Personally, I wouldn't think of iCloud as anything but a way to sync stuff between your devices, a backup of the content on your mobile devices, and an emergency backup of other things, but I wouldn't rely on it for files on my computer.

There are lots of other internet based backup solutions if you are looking for something of this nature.

Spheric Harlot Nov 5, 2013 07:04 AM
Quote, Originally Posted by besson3c (Post 4255889)
Apple apps, that is, not third party apps downloaded outside the store.
Ah, sorry, I didn't realize that this was in the OS X forum.

iCloud backup does not exist on OS X at all, as far as I know.

iCloud backup is a feature of iOS that will, as I stated, back up EVERYTHING that isn't an app or music or video. That includes backing up all data from third-party apps.

On OS X, the built-in backup mechanism is Time Machine, which has no connection with iCloud at all.

PeterParker Nov 5, 2013 09:45 AM
Quote, Originally Posted by Spheric Harlot (Post 4255930)
Ah, sorry, I didn't realize that this was in the OS X forum.

iCloud backup does not exist on OS X at all, as far as I know.

iCloud backup is a feature of iOS that will, as I stated, back up EVERYTHING that isn't an app or music or video. That includes backing up all data from third-party apps.

On OS X, the built-in backup mechanism is Time Machine, which has no connection with iCloud at all.
Well .... actually, this seems mostly to be my fault, really. I'm only asking about iOS, but used the wrong forum. I think about how to back up stuff created on or saved on iOS devices.

Demonhood Nov 5, 2013 12:09 PM
Now that the thread is in the right place, Spheric is right. iCloud will backup everything on your iOS device if you want it to. This enables you, for example, to have it backup, get a brand new device, log into your iCloud account, and restore it exactly over the air without using iTunes. Pretty handy.