MacNN Forums (http://forums.macnn.com/)
-   iPhone, iPad & iPod (http://forums.macnn.com/iphone-ipad-and-ipod/)
-   -   Andy Ihnatko Drops the iPhone for Android (http://forums.macnn.com/103/iphone-ipad-and-ipod/498686/andy-ihnatko-drops-the-iphone-android/)

subego Mar 7, 2013 12:20 PM
Andy Ihnatko Drops the iPhone for Android

The Final Dakar Mar 7, 2013 12:30 PM
He was on TWiT the other week... I used to enjoy him, but now I find him long-winded and dorky.

subego Mar 7, 2013 12:36 PM
He's always been that way. Seriously.

The Final Dakar Mar 7, 2013 12:36 PM
I know. I wonder what changed for me.

subego Mar 7, 2013 12:51 PM
For me, it was someone mentioning it in the TWiT thread.

I still like him, but as someone who professionally fits things into small amounts of words, it's amazing he's incapable of doing it verbally.

subego Mar 7, 2013 01:52 PM
Either way, in my mind he's still the biggest Mac fanboy who isn't on the take (cough... Walt... cough).

Doc HM Mar 7, 2013 03:01 PM
He's very good at picking a thread up on the fly and constructing a solid argument either for or against.
I think he sometimes finds our podcast (British Tech Network Mac Show) a bit odd though. And slightly peurile from time to time. He's always fun on air though.

subego Mar 7, 2013 03:27 PM
Puerile? Like, wang jokes?

Doc HM Mar 7, 2013 04:04 PM
On a good day. Plus, no one can derail an intelligent conversation like Will Green can derail an intelligent conversation.

subego Mar 8, 2013 05:36 AM
Challenge accepted.

Geoduck Mar 8, 2013 03:38 PM
Tinkerers vs Users
As to why he switched, I think it's the same reason Woz was using Android, at least for a while. Some people want to use a device and some people want to tinker with a device. The tinkerers are the early adopters, they show the way, but once a particular technology becomes mainstream they look toward what's new, what's different, what they can tinker with.

bojangles Mar 9, 2013 09:47 AM
I’ll still never buy a Samsung anything, ever again. Unless they fix their customer service, I’d rather use a tin can and a string than the best Samsung phone ever made. My father actually bought us a Samsung Blu-ray player, last week, and it made me literally physically ill to hook it up. Thank goodness it only took me about an hour to realize it was a piece of crap that wouldn’t meet our needs, because it meant he had no problem taking it back and getting us an Apple TV that actually worked, and for less money.

Geoduck Mar 9, 2013 11:09 AM
Quote, Originally Posted by bojangles (Post 4220899)
I’d rather use a tin can and a string than the best Samsung phone ever made.
Agree totally, though for me it's not so much about the customer service. For me it's the culture of theft that Samsung is built on. Apple isn't the only company suing Samsung about their stealing of technology and designs. The steal from everyone and make crap copies of it.

subego Mar 9, 2013 01:22 PM
Quote, Originally Posted by Geoduck (Post 4220852)
As to why he switched, I think it's the same reason Woz was using Android, at least for a while. Some people want to use a device and some people want to tinker with a device. The tinkerers are the early adopters, they show the way, but once a particular technology becomes mainstream they look toward what's new, what's different, what they can tinker with.
I do like to tinker, but for whatever reason I'm not that interested in it when it comes to my phone.

Maybe it's an issue of me not playing with Android, but I don't find "you can change the keyboard" to be this massively compelling argument for pitching 7 years of lock-in.