MacNN Forums (http://forums.macnn.com/)
-   iPhone, iPad & iPod (http://forums.macnn.com/iphone-ipad-and-ipod/)
-   -   Target iPad promotion a scam! (http://forums.macnn.com/103/iphone-ipad-and-ipod/502072/target-ipad-promotion-a-scam/)

Basharar Jul 9, 2013 03:34 AM
Target iPad promotion a scam!
So I tried to order from target online, it says the pad mini is 329$ plus a 40$ gift card... I clicked on add to cart hoping that I will get a 40$ gift card..... Get this, the price is changed to 369$ +40$ gift card discount, so it's 329$ the same official price at the apple store, thank you target for insulting my intelligence....:thumbsdow

andi*pandi Jul 9, 2013 11:34 AM
what a ripoff! I wonder if it would be the same problem in a brick and mortar store.

azrich Jul 9, 2013 03:31 PM
Not exactly
The way it is working (my understanding) is that for the price of the iPad alone you will receive the iPad and a gift card.

The gift card is not used on that purchase. If you read the explanation by clicking on the gift card link you'll see what I mean. It's not the best written explanation but it's there.

Again, for the price of the iPad, you get the iPad AND a gift card to use later. Not a rip-off, just not the way you wanted it to work.

Mike Wuerthele Jul 9, 2013 04:48 PM
Local store checked- seemed fine there with Apple MSRPs, then a gift card after purchase.

DCJ001 Jul 9, 2013 06:19 PM
Quote, Originally Posted by Basharar (Post 4237808)
So I tried to order from target online, it says the pad mini is 329$ plus a 40$ gift card... I clicked on add to cart hoping that I will get a 40$ gift card..... Get this, the price is changed to 369$ +40$ gift card discount, so it's 329$ the same official price at the apple store, thank you target for insulting my intelligence....:thumbsdow
Try going to Best Buy, showing them the ad, and asking them to match the offer. My father did this, and they matched it, including a Best Buy gift card.

Basharar Jul 9, 2013 08:19 PM
Here is what i got, after checking the 329$ listed price on the first page!
:thumbsdow:thumbsdow:thumbsdow:thumbsdow
Order Summary (2 items)
Subtotal: $369.99
Discounts:-$40.00
$40 gift card with select iPad mini tablets
shipping: More information about estimated shipping not yet calculated
Estimated Tax: More information about estimated tax not yet calculated
your price $329.99
You Save: More information about promotion discounts $40.00 (11% )

azrich Jul 9, 2013 08:25 PM
Exactly, the iPad + a $40 card would be $369, but you will get both for $329. Which is the price of the iPad alone.

The way they do it is stupid, they should just list it like this-

iPad $329
$40 Gift card $40
Discount -$40

Total $329.

Basharar Jul 9, 2013 09:04 PM
ouch Now i feel dumb and stupid?!
:confused::confused:

aristotles Jul 9, 2013 10:19 PM
Ok. So they offer a 40 dollar gift card that you can use towards a future purchase if you buy an iPad.

What is the problem here? A misunderstanding of the offer?

Simply offering 40 bucks off the iPad would be of no benefit to Target. They are looking to offer an incentive for you to make future purchases at a discount expecting that you will spend much more than 40 dollars next time.

shifuimam Jul 10, 2013 07:40 PM
Quote, Originally Posted by aristotles (Post 4237946)
Simply offering 40 bucks off the iPad would be of no benefit to Target. They are looking to offer an incentive for you to make future purchases at a discount expecting that you will spend much more than 40 dollars next time.
Not to mention that they can't do that without explicit authorization from Apple - which I don't think has ever happened. Places that offer discounts on Apple products (Fry's, Micro Center, Best Buy, etc.) generally work around Apple's fixed prices by offering gift cards, bundles (e.g. $329 for the iPad plus a free $50 case), etc.