MacNN Forums (http://forums.macnn.com/)
-   iPhone, iPad & iPod (http://forums.macnn.com/iphone-ipad-and-ipod/)
-   -   iPhone 1 - Lost My Apps! (http://forums.macnn.com/103/iphone-ipad-and-ipod/503843/iphone-1-lost-my-apps/)

l008com Sep 10, 2013 03:12 AM
iPhone 1 - Lost My Apps!
I still have my original 2007 iPhone. I have a much newer one I use as a phone, and I've been using my old one for a few years as an alarm clock. I set the screen to never sleep, and leave the alarm clock running. It has worked pretty well. Until yesterday. I did a backup, and restore of the phone, because it was acting weird. Now ALL of the 3rd party apps are gone, except for the old TDAmeritrade app. The newest OS this phone can run is OS3, and of course no current apps can run on an OS that old. I don't know why the apps weren't restored from the backup? Is there any way to get them back? Without apps, this thing is now completely useless.

shifuimam Sep 10, 2013 11:04 AM
I'm pretty sure you're SOL.

I don't know why your apps didn't restore when you restored your backup. It's possible that iTunes enforced an update of all the apps on the phone, which would have rendered all of them unusable since they probably all require at least iOS 4 now.

You might try jailbreaking and manually installing all the apps you want. I think there's a program that lets you recover stuff from an iPhone backup.

P Sep 17, 2013 11:55 AM
Apple has just modified the App Store so it will offer older versions of software for devices that are limited in which OS versions it will support. Give it a try to see if you can download your apps again now.

Spheric Harlot Sep 17, 2013 03:12 PM
I was just going to post that.

This is awesome, and it's exactly what you're looking for:

Apple Begins Offering 'Last Compatible' Version of Apps for Users Running Legacy Versions of iOS - Mac Rumors

l008com Sep 18, 2013 05:56 PM
So when I try this, I don't get the option to download an older version. I just get an error saying the app requires OS 5, and that's it. I don't see any options for anything else. Any ideas?

Stogieman Sep 19, 2013 12:23 PM
Did you check your trash can? When iTunes updates your apps, it moves the older versions to the trash can. You should be OK if you didn't empty your trash can.

l008com Sep 20, 2013 04:08 AM
So I'm thinking this "last version compatible" thing is a feature only for iOS4 or iOS5, because it's not working at all on my iOS3 phone. Which is too bad, because this old phone made a still useful iPod touch until that last restore erased it. Now it's been made completely useless by Apple :(

P Sep 20, 2013 05:13 AM
If you can find the old app files in a backup anywhere on the Mac, you can use them. Just drag them to iTunes before you sync. Extension is .ipa, if you're searching for them.

l008com Sep 20, 2013 05:15 AM
Tried that already tonight, no luck. Once I started using this phone as an alarm clock, I didn't sync it any more. And I had a newer version of the alarm clock on my 4S.

andi*pandi Sep 20, 2013 10:22 AM
contacting the developer?

shifuimam Sep 20, 2013 01:05 PM
Quote, Originally Posted by l008com (Post 4248759)
So I'm thinking this "last version compatible" thing is a feature only for iOS4 or iOS5, because it's not working at all on my iOS3 phone. Which is too bad, because this old phone made a still useful iPod touch until that last restore erased it. Now it's been made completely useless by Apple :(
Did you ever do a full phone backup through iTunes?

andi*pandi Sep 20, 2013 02:36 PM
time machine for older backups?