MacNN Forums (http://forums.macnn.com/)
-   iPhone, iPad & iPod (http://forums.macnn.com/iphone-ipad-and-ipod/)
-   -   iOS 7.1 is out (http://forums.macnn.com/103/iphone-ipad-and-ipod/508814/ios-7-1-is-out/)

P Mar 10, 2014 01:59 PM
iOS 7.1 is out
Hopefully this fixes the issues some iPad owners have had with iOS 7 Safari.

osiris Mar 10, 2014 02:07 PM
downloading now...

some icon outlines appear darker, text appears darker too. One beef - with all the iOS updates - why the hell does bluetooth get turned back on? rude...

anyway, looks good so far - no smoke or crashes.

And.reg Mar 10, 2014 02:29 PM
Quote, Originally Posted by osiris (Post 4269712)
One beef - with all the iOS updates - why the hell does bluetooth get turned back on?
That's odd, I just noticed that as well.

Atheist Mar 10, 2014 03:34 PM
Definitely snappier on the iPhone 4!!!

P Mar 10, 2014 03:48 PM
All animations are faster. Keyboard letters are bolder. That's about it so far.

osiris Mar 10, 2014 05:45 PM
Quote, Originally Posted by P (Post 4269727)
All animations are faster. Keyboard letters are bolder. That's about it so far.
Yes, to me it seems like a few frames in the animations were removed, it's a noticeable difference. The boldness is also apparent, I had to reduce it (I turned up text boldness originally).

The real test will be for the Touch ID recognition. If it holds up for more than a few days I'll be happy!

OreoCookie Mar 10, 2014 05:49 PM
- The slide to unlock animation is subtly different and has stronger contrast. (It looks like a white cylon eye that peering through the text.)
- I noticed the keyboard changes as well.
- Fatter weights of Helvetica Neue seem to have been chosen in a few places.
- I did not immediately notice the sped-up animations, but after checking it, it's true.

osiris Mar 10, 2014 05:57 PM
Spoke too soon: mb a new bug, but double pressing the home button seems much less responsive. Frustrating when you're trying to close apps- reboot didn't help.
Anyone else notice this? Thanx!

And.reg Mar 10, 2014 06:25 PM
Quote, Originally Posted by OreoCookie (Post 4269745)
- The slide to unlock animation is subtly different and has stronger contrast.
Wait until you see the "slide to shutdown" animation...

starman Mar 10, 2014 07:47 PM
While there are some nice things about 7.1 in the color and contrast dept, why did they decide to animate a bounce to Command Center? I tell ya, I was so in love with iOS 6, and only upgraded to 7 because I had to due to that security issue. I've had iOS 7 for a week and already I wish I could go back. Even if I turn "Reduce Motion" to ON, there are still a bunch of things that I wish would just happen faster. Hoe about "turn off all silly animations"? Even waking my phone isn't instant anymore.

EDIT: My wife called. Why the EFF did they change what happens when someone calls you? You used to get the image of the person full-screen, now it's that person's picture in a tiny little circle and a lot of wasted gray space with no option to put that back.

EDIT: In doing some more dialer testing, I found that at random times, iOS 7.1 will NOT show a "Decline" button, but just a single "Swipe to answer" button.

Who's driving the bus at Apple now?

Cold Warrior Mar 10, 2014 09:01 PM
Quote, Originally Posted by starman (Post 4269768)
EDIT: My wife called. Why the EFF did they change what happens when someone calls you? You used to get the image of the person full-screen, now it's that person's picture in a tiny little circle and a lot of wasted gray space with no option to put that back.

EDIT: In doing some more dialer testing, I found that at random times, iOS 7.1 will NOT show a "Decline" button, but just a single "Swipe to answer" button.

Who's driving the bus at Apple now?
Wow, this is atrocious. I didn't have any big complaints about iOS 7 until this. It's awful and ugly. The round decline and answer, the tiny contact calling, also a horrid circle. I can't believe this.

And.reg Mar 10, 2014 09:08 PM
Yes I definitely notice bolder characters on the keyboard but what I really appreciate the most is the caps lock (double-tap Shift button) is now clearly labeled with the arrow and a little bar underneath it with the Shift button highlighted. This is helpful.

I haven't run iOS 7.1 to test battery life but I would appreciate if the update can significantly boost battery life.

turtle777 Mar 10, 2014 10:35 PM
Quote, Originally Posted by And.reg (Post 4269772)
I haven't run iOS 7.1 to test battery life but I would appreciate if the update can significantly boost battery life.
Who wouldn't ?

-t

And.reg Mar 11, 2014 08:09 AM
So does anyone know if it does?

P Mar 11, 2014 08:26 AM
Quote, Originally Posted by starman (Post 4269768)
I don't think this behavior has changed, only the appearance. If the phone is unlocked and you're using it, you get two buttons - Answer and Decline with two bonus options for decline like setting a reminder to call back in 15 minutes or sending a canned text message. If the phone is locked, the Decline button does not come up - you get the "Swipe to answer" thing instead. To Decline, press the button on top of the phone (sleep/wake) twice, or use one of the bonus options. Most of this has been the same since my first iPhone with iOS 4 - only the bonus options were added along the way.

P Mar 11, 2014 08:27 AM
Quote, Originally Posted by And.reg (Post 4269800)
So does anyone know if it does?
Not particularly, but you can easily improve your battery life by disabling background processing for unnecessary apps. Disable it entirely to make battery life identical to iOS 6.

osiris Mar 11, 2014 09:00 AM
that weirdness with the home button disappeared (button wouldn't work for double presses)

everything else is looking good -seems a hair snappier. praise be geebus.

Gankdawg Mar 12, 2014 09:38 AM
Jailbroken iPhone 4 here. Would like a speed bump but don't want to lose tethering so I'll wait.

And.reg Mar 12, 2014 12:47 PM
Quote, Originally Posted by P (Post 4269804)
Not particularly, but you can easily improve your battery life by disabling background processing for unnecessary apps. Disable it entirely to make battery life identical to iOS 6.
Background App Refresh?

Or is there a unique option for each application?

I was actually thinking more along the lines of improving battery life if I set my iPod Touch to standby for a few days; when I come back, my battery has drained a bit too much.

P Mar 12, 2014 03:29 PM
In the settings, right below the main backgrounding switch, there is one for each app that has requested that privilege.

And.reg Mar 12, 2014 03:43 PM
I don't see a "main backgrounding switch" anywhere. I also tried searching for "main backgrounding switch" and got zero search results.
Here is what I have in my settings (long list edited out since question is answered to the desired effect - long list no longer needed to occupy thread space)

P Mar 12, 2014 04:56 PM
It's under General. I can't quote the exact name of the selection after that, because my iPad is not set to English, but it's background execution or background updates or something like that. Click that and you get one main switch and a bunch switches for the individual programs.

And.reg Mar 12, 2014 05:13 PM
Yeah it's Background App Refresh. That's what I thought. :)

DarkStarRed Mar 14, 2014 04:47 AM

Who's driving the bus at Apple now?[/QUOTE]

I must say I haven't updated to iOS 7.1 yet and the changes to
Phone-Call is Bad/Ugly. I'm not sure if & when they make changes to this that the buttons will be remade?

Just to note the changes were made basically to keep unified look across Apple's CarPlay! I as many other have sent requests to their Feedback/iPhone. Just asking to keep mobile devices interface separate from that of CarPlay.

PeterParker Mar 14, 2014 04:52 AM
Works fine here, on iPad. However, when switching back to home screen, sometimes I find the icons stopped in between swiping, one column from one area, three of the others, this is new. Curious if I get less crashes, sudden app failures during the time...

auto_immune Mar 14, 2014 06:28 AM
Quote, Originally Posted by Atheist (Post 4269724)
Definitely snappier on the iPhone 4!!!
I have been hesitant to upgrade my iPhone 4 to 7.x (still at 6.0.1) due to all the
problems I have read about WiFi no longer working and battery charge time
dropping after upgrading.

Have you had either of those problems?

P Mar 14, 2014 06:37 AM
7.1 has been rock solid. I've heard many issues with 7.0.x, though.

PeterParker Mar 21, 2014 04:52 AM
Quote, Originally Posted by P (Post 4270186)
7.1 has been rock solid. I've heard many issues with 7.0.x, though.
Same here ...

auto_immune Mar 23, 2014 12:09 AM
Well, I "pulled the trigger" and updated to 7.1 - could do without the new dog-butt ugly GUI design, but otherwise I have had no problems at all!

andi*pandi Mar 23, 2014 07:19 PM
took 3 times to download 7.1 update, but now all set.

I'm with the "need a decline" message on my phone. I like the options (remind me, send a message) but sometimes the phone rings at bad times and I just want to shut off the ringtone asap.

haven't noticed any snappy improvement, but I do like the cylon unlock.

Spheric Harlot Mar 23, 2014 08:19 PM
Just press the sleep/wake button to silence an incoming call.

Cold Warrior Mar 23, 2014 09:11 PM
Some of the interface tweaks are welcome--darken colors and perspective zoom options in particular. They also fixed the day and time scrolls so that you can scroll them adjacent not just on top of; iOS 6 had this.

But the small circle for incoming call photos is the worst, it's horrible. Otherwise I like iOS 7.

P Mar 24, 2014 04:44 AM
Quote, Originally Posted by Spheric Harlot (Post 4271105)
Just press the sleep/wake button to silence an incoming call.
This. This has been there forever, and it was the first thing I looked up how to do when I got my phone.

ghporter Mar 24, 2014 06:58 AM
The most noticeable change I've found is that there's no animation when you choose an app from the active apps list. They just "are there" full-screen. It's not a problem, but it's a little jarring compared to previous versions' "zoom to full screen" effect.

Is it just me, or is iOS 7.1 "snappier" in some ways?

P Mar 24, 2014 08:32 AM
My iPhone 4 has animations when I pick an app from the recently used apps?

Yes, it's clearly snappier. Not only on the iPhone, where it was clearly advertised, but on the iPad mini as well.

ghporter Mar 24, 2014 08:00 PM
Before the upgrade, I'd had "Reduce Motion" set to "On" because some motion in 7.0 was unpleasant to me. Now it seems that the "zoom from recent apps" effect falls under that. I turned off Reduce Motion and the effect is back.

Atheist Mar 25, 2014 07:42 AM
Quote, Originally Posted by auto_immune (Post 4270185)
I have been hesitant to upgrade my iPhone 4 to 7.x (still at 6.0.1) due to all the
problems I have read about WiFi no longer working and battery charge time
dropping after upgrading.

Have you had either of those problems?
No WiFi or battery issues. iPhone 4 is almost 4 years old and going strong. Very impressed with it's performance.

auto_immune Mar 27, 2014 06:24 AM
So far only one problem: the visual voicemail. I had to call t-mobile to have it turned on, and I now have to leave cellular data turned on for it to work. If cell data is turned off, a little red dot overlaps the left side of the voicemail symbol and message alerts no longer show up - and there is a "visual voicemail currently not available" banner at the top of the screen.

And.reg Apr 4, 2014 02:47 PM
I have an iPod Touch 5 running iOS 7.1.

How do I get the battery icon to display "percent charged"??

Spheric Harlot Apr 4, 2014 03:08 PM
Settings > general > usage

And.reg Apr 4, 2014 04:57 PM
I still don't see it.

I'm in Settings > General > Usage

and here is what I see:

Photos & Camera
Music
iPhoto
(other apps)

and then I have:
iCloud
Total Storage
Available
Manage Storage

and then I have:
TIME SINCE LAST FULL CHARGE
Usage
Standby

There is no menu option when I tap "Usage" or "Standby."

There are no other options to indicate battery life.

Can you clarify further??

turtle777 Apr 4, 2014 05:56 PM
Maybe this option only exists on iPhones, not iPod Touch ?

I can see it on my iPhone 5s.

-t

Spheric Harlot Apr 4, 2014 07:40 PM
Your post made it sound like you had this enabled before 7.1?

And.reg Apr 4, 2014 09:56 PM
I don't think I have... I just saw it on someone's iPhone running iOS 7. So that's what I was thinking.

abbaZaba Apr 4, 2014 10:45 PM
Battery Percentage does not exist in iPod Touch

ajprice Apr 26, 2014 05:57 AM
DANGER WILL ROBINSON!

If you update to 7.1.1 over wifi, it may not get past the apple logo, and the only way back from that is a restore. Update it connected to your computer, through iTunes, that way is fine.

Unfortunately, I am now restoring my iPhone :( .

is not Apr 26, 2014 02:32 PM
Hi!

Updated to 7.1.1 over wifi, no problem on my iPhone 4.

Cold Warrior Apr 27, 2014 10:16 AM
Wifi updates no problem on 5, 5s, iPad 2, iPad mini retina.