MacNN Forums (http://forums.macnn.com/)
-   Mac Desktops (http://forums.macnn.com/mac-desktops/)
-   -   Mini buying annoyance (http://forums.macnn.com/65/mac-desktops/498314/mini-buying-annoyance/)

jmiddel Feb 21, 2013 09:21 PM
Mini buying annoyance
I wish to get a mini server, with one 256 ssd and one 1T regular HD. This is not available. I can get it with 2 regulars, one or two ssds, or a fusion drive. Does anyone know why my config is not offered? I will have to buy the one with the 2 regulars, take it apart, which seems to be quite a process, and exchange one of the drives for an ssd. Which voids my warranty. BTW I understand that the FD is one reg and one ssd 128 in both bays, I don't want a FD, just two independent drives, and 128 is way too small.

RedHdRiley Mar 2, 2013 09:34 AM
Because They Can
The only thing I can figure is to milk more money from us. I wanted the same 1T/fusion configuration as well.

Spheric Harlot Mar 2, 2013 09:49 AM
The mini isn't that hard to get apart.

You could probably get a 256 GB SSD for half or a third of what Apple charges, pay an authorized service center to install it all for you, and *still* come out ahead.

Waragainstsleep Mar 2, 2013 05:50 PM
For those who don't do this sort of thing regularly, changing drives in the mini is a pain. Well, changing the primary drive is anyway. You need a special tool to remove the logic board as well, though I managed to fashion one from a larger gauge paper clip recently.

cgc Mar 3, 2013 06:20 AM
I wish I could buy a Mini with no Apple RAM installed. I can max it out at Crucial for $110 but to upgrade from 4GB to 16GB (12GB delta) costs $300 at Apple.com. That and I still want a Mini with dedicated GPU.

Doc HM Mar 3, 2013 07:09 AM
Quote, Originally Posted by Waragainstsleep (Post 4219954)
For those who don't do this sort of thing regularly, changing drives in the mini is a pain. Well, changing the primary drive is anyway. You need a special tool to remove the logic board as well, though I managed to fashion one from a larger gauge paper clip recently.
Two thin screw drivers or allen keys work just as well as Apples "special" tool. It's just to push the logic board back. As long as you can find something thin enough to fit through the holes and reach to the case to provide the leverage, you're fine.

Waragainstsleep Mar 3, 2013 11:13 AM
Quote, Originally Posted by Doc HM (Post 4219980)
Two thin screw drivers or allen keys work just as well as Apples "special" tool. It's just to push the logic board back. As long as you can find something thin enough to fit through the holes and reach to the case to provide the leverage, you're fine.
Like I said, I fashioned the tool using a paper clip but I stand firm on my other opinion. If you don't do this sort of thing regularly like you and I do, its a daunting swap for a novice.

Am I right in thinking you need to match the disk brand on these because of the thermal sensors like in the recent iMacs too?

Doc HM Mar 4, 2013 02:21 AM
Quote, Originally Posted by Waragainstsleep (Post 4219989)
Like I said, I fashioned the tool using a paper clip but I stand firm on my other opinion. If you don't do this sort of thing regularly like you and I do, its a daunting swap for a novice.

Am I right in thinking you need to match the disk brand on these because of the thermal sensors like in the recent iMacs too?
True it's certainly a pain, but probably not actually harder than the older style mini, which needed the putty knife and a lot of disassembly.

AFAIK any laptop drive is fine in these.

subego Mar 8, 2013 09:33 PM
Will any old flat spudger do it?

I only really wanted to type "spudger".

Waragainstsleep Mar 9, 2013 11:25 AM
Quote, Originally Posted by subego (Post 4220877)
Will any old flat spudger do it?

I only really wanted to type "spudger".
Do what?

Spheric Harlot Mar 10, 2013 11:14 AM
Spudge.

subego Mar 10, 2013 02:30 PM
Quote, Originally Posted by Waragainstsleep (Post 4220907)
Do what?
Push back the logic board.

Everyone loves spudge!

Waragainstsleep Mar 10, 2013 05:01 PM
The Apple way to do it is to poke a wire handle tool through two holes on the board and then pull the board. I guess there are a couple of clips under the board that you have to release.

subego Mar 11, 2013 04:59 PM
Too bad. I was hoping you could just pack it with spudge.

Spheric Harlot Mar 11, 2013 06:27 PM
Think of the children!