MacNN Forums (http://forums.macnn.com/)
-   Mac Desktops (http://forums.macnn.com/mac-desktops/)
-   -   Haswell iMacs....when? (http://forums.macnn.com/65/mac-desktops/502296/haswell-imacs-when/)

 
davidflas Jul 16, 2013 06:29 PM
Haswell iMacs....when?
I am the market for a new iMac, and have heard rumors about a July release. Has anybody heard anything about this? :confused:
 
P Jul 17, 2013 04:07 PM
Some analyst reported a June/July release about a month ago, but that was an isolated report. Even if it comes, don't expect any big news. Haswell was a rather minor update for desktops.
 
davidflas Jul 18, 2013 12:30 AM
Quote, Originally Posted by P (Post 4239096)
Some analyst reported a June/July release about a month ago, but that was an isolated report. Even if it comes, don't expect any big news. Haswell was a rather minor update for desktops.
I am hoping that Haswell will bring pci-e ssds such as the ones in the new Air and Mac Pro.
 
OreoCookie Jul 18, 2013 02:47 AM
I reckon it will, this is where Apple is headed and I'm sure they can only benefit from raising the volume of PCIe SSDs.
 
mduell Jul 18, 2013 07:04 PM
Any time Apple likes. I'd guess in the next 3 months given the date of the last release.
 
reader50 Jul 21, 2013 07:49 PM
I would not expect a major performance feature to ship on the iMacs until the new Mac Pros ship. No idea what the holdup is on the new MPs, perhaps Apple's waiting for the GPUs to be passed by new models and drop in price.

Wish the new MPs would ship. I'm waiting on prices to drop on the current gen, so I can snag one. I'm a fan of internal, inexpensive expansion.
 
P Jul 22, 2013 02:30 AM
The main thing missing on the New MP is that the CPU hasn't actually launched yet. Apple is waiting for the Ivy Bridge-EP chips, and they supposedly launch this fall - September is what I heard. Intel's launch cycles have become very skewed for the top Xeons.
 
mduell Jul 22, 2013 03:47 PM
Early September for IVB-E, I think the target is 3rd-10th.
 
reader50 Jul 22, 2013 04:11 PM
In the past, Apple has sometimes scored early access or custom chips from Intel. It would not surprise me if Apple managed a 1-month jump on the general release schedule. That could mean a shipping MP in mid-August.

Assuming we're right on more advanced iMacs being held up by Pro availability, then a mid-Aug release of better iMacs would still be in time for Back-to-School.
 
P Jul 22, 2013 04:49 PM
I think Apple only got early access once. It's not impossible - IB is just a shrink, after all - but they haven't seemed that close recently (and if that fab rumor is true, they could be gearing up for war). The delayed release is mostly for more stringent testing, and since a single-socket model would likely need less testing, it's not completely out there, but I wouldn't bet on it.
 
davidflas Aug 16, 2013 05:52 AM
So, at this point do we figure the new iMacs won't appear until after the current back to school promotion is over?
 
shabbasuraj Aug 20, 2013 01:00 PM
I predict no PCIe SSDs for the iMac in the next refresh. Just my gut feeling that it wont show up in an iMac for awhile. Apple needs this kind of differentiation for their Pro line.
 
P Aug 20, 2013 01:39 PM
They're already in the MBA.
 
boy8cookie Aug 20, 2013 06:06 PM
That seems to be a size optimization rather than a performance choice.
 
P Aug 21, 2013 05:49 AM
Not really. The last version was the same size but used SATA. There is even a SATA standard for cards like that (though Apple of course rolled their own). Apple is moving to standardize on PCIe SSDs, and they're only a little ahead of everyone else - SATA is moving towards "SATA Express", which is really just PCIe but over a regular cable so the drive can be place in a drive cage like now.
 
mitchell_pgh Sep 11, 2013 07:05 AM
I was hoping that a new iMac would appear in the Apple store after the announcement yesterday. Unfortunately, that didn't happen.

I'm not expecting a big jump in speed/features. I simply don't want to buy now with a new model on the (hopefully) near horizon.

Something in the 27", 3.5GHz Haswell, 32GB of ram with a 512 SSD range would do...
 
Mike Wuerthele Sep 11, 2013 08:41 AM
There's no compelling reason for Apple to upgrade iMacs to Haswell over Ivy Bridge- the architectural change is mostly for battery life, and the new video chipsets. If Apple retains discrete graphics, then there's NO reason at all, really.
 
P Sep 11, 2013 10:41 AM
It runs cooler, which never hurts in a design like the iMac. It also brings a few fancy instruction sets that Apple might want to use and the chipset is improved, but mostly I think it will get updated whenever Apple updates the iMac to include new GPUs, new blade SSDs and new WiFi standards.
 
Mike Wuerthele Sep 11, 2013 02:48 PM
Quote, Originally Posted by P (Post 4247135)
It runs cooler, which never hurts in a design like the iMac. It also brings a few fancy instruction sets that Apple might want to use and the chipset is improved, but mostly I think it will get updated whenever Apple updates the iMac to include new GPUs, new blade SSDs and new WiFi standards.
Yeah, agreed, but its not a compelling reason on its own to upgrade. The new WiFi and PCI-E SSDs are better reasons.
 
mitchell_pgh Sep 13, 2013 07:23 AM
Quote, Originally Posted by EstaNightshift (Post 4247178)
Yeah, agreed, but its not a compelling reason on its own to upgrade. The new WiFi and PCI-E SSDs are better reasons.
Bingo. I'm not really looking for a major bump in speed from the CPU, I just don't want to have 2012's technology when 2013 may be just around the corner.

The possible addition of PCI-E SSD is one of the reasons I'm waiting.
 
P Sep 17, 2013 11:54 AM
Rumors now say iMacs October 15.
 
mitchell_pgh Sep 23, 2013 06:18 PM
Quote, Originally Posted by P (Post 4248147)
Rumors now say iMacs October 15.
I guess I can wait a bit more. Again, not expecting a major jump in performance, etc. but I wouldn't be surprised if the price of the SSD upgrades went down or the video card got a nice little bump.

My Mac mini is hanging in there, but not well. It takes 20+ minutes what takes my work Mac 6 :(
 
P Sep 24, 2013 05:11 AM
I haven't seen any leaks of new iMac performance, though, and it's last in a pipeline as well: I think the MBP is higher priority than the iMac, and I'm sure they both require Mavericks. We don't have a release date for that yet.
 
ajprice Sep 24, 2013 09:12 AM
Apple - iMac - Technical Specifications

Haswell quads, Iris Pro on the base 21", Nvidia Geforce GT 7xx series on the rest, 1TB drive and 8GB RAM standard (will spec upto 32GB)

Edit: http://www.macrumors.com/2013/09/24/...flash-storage/

802.11ac Wifi, flash storage is PCIe
 
P Sep 24, 2013 10:08 AM
Shows what I know.

CPU is one notch up, nothing strange, except I think the TDP might have dropped on 21"ers so it might run cooler. The expected PCIe blade storage, 802.11ac Wifi as mentioned, nothing exciting.

Graphics: Low-end went GT640M to Iris Pro, which is basically sideways but a slight improvement. High 21 went from GT650M to GT750M, which is a higher clock of the same chip. Low 27 went GT 660M to GT 755M, which is also slightly higher clock of same chip. High went from 675MX to 775M, which is a chip that apparently doesn't exist. 770M is a significantly higher clocked version of the 675MX (35-40% higher core, 10% higher memory), and 775M should hopefully be even higher, at least more memory. The BTO model moved from 680MX to 780M, which is about 15% higher core clock and the same memory. All in all, the 21"ers move one step up to the old high 21" and the old low 27" respectively, the low 27" got a slight clock boost, and the higher 27" got a more significant step up.

EDIT: Forgot one point. nVidia claims that they have added "GPU Boost 2.0" to the 700M series, which means that they will more readily turbo up their clocks when needed. In effect, this serves to improve minimum framerates and playability more than the actual clocks imply, so maybe the GPU improvement is a little bit bigger. The TDP improvement is mostly on the top and on the bottom - the BTO GPU is lower TDP, so the top iMac probably won't rev the clocks quite so high when gaming. The low-end obviously loses its GPU entirely. That's 32 W right there, which should be a decent decrease. The other two models only lose a couple of watts from the integration of the VRMs, but all of them should be quieter when almost idle, as Haswell has much better powersaving modes.
 
mitchell_pgh Sep 24, 2013 12:59 PM
Quote, Originally Posted by P (Post 4249487)
Shows what I know.

CPU is one notch up, nothing strange, except I think the TDP might have dropped on 21"ers so it might run cooler. The expected PCIe blade storage, 802.11ac Wifi as mentioned, nothing exciting.

Graphics: Low-end went GT640M to Iris Pro, which is basically sideways but a slight improvement. High 21 went from GT650M to GT750M, which is a higher clock of the same chip. Low 27 went GT 660M to GT 755M, which is also slightly higher clock of same chip. High went from 675MX to 775M, which is a chip that apparently doesn't exist. 770M is a significantly higher clocked version of the 675MX (35-40% higher core, 10% higher memory), and 775M should hopefully be even higher, at least more memory. The BTO model moved from 680MX to 780M, which is about 15% higher core clock and the same memory. All in all, the 21"ers move one step up to the old high 21" and the old low 27" respectively, the low 27" got a slight clock boost, and the higher 27" got a more significant step up.

EDIT: Forgot one point. nVidia claims that they have added "GPU Boost 2.0" to the 700M series, which means that they will more readily turbo up their clocks when needed. In effect, this serves to improve minimum framerates and playability more than the actual clocks imply, so maybe the GPU improvement is a little bit bigger. The TDP improvement is mostly on the top and on the bottom - the BTO GPU is lower TDP, so the top iMac probably won't rev the clocks quite so high when gaming. The low-end obviously loses its GPU entirely. That's 32 W right there, which should be a decent decrease. The other two models only lose a couple of watts from the integration of the VRMs, but all of them should be quieter when almost idle, as Haswell has much better powersaving modes.
Thanks for the heads up. It sounds like at the high end, you may see a good GPU bump.
 
shabbasuraj Sep 24, 2013 02:21 PM
Apple surprised me with this update. Nice.
 
ajprice Sep 25, 2013 10:53 AM
They have had the iFixit treatment now, there's an unused PCIe SSD slot inside that the previous iMac didn't have. iMac Intel 21.5" EMC 2638 Teardown - iFixit
http://d3nevzfk7ii3be.cloudfront.net...NmfV1Eh.medium
 
P Sep 25, 2013 11:11 AM
iFixit seems to be remarkably behind on the hardware news for a company that repairs computers. They're reviewing the bottom model with Iris Pro graphics, and they note:

Quote
The truth was alarming—the CPU is soldered in place on the logic board, and cannot be removed, replaced, or upgraded.
Yes - we know. All CPUs with Iris Pro graphics - that is, with the 128 MB eDRAM on the chip - are available only as BGA chips (soldered) rather than LGA (socketed). This was fairly major news at the Haswell launch, and the blame rests with Intel and not with Apple.
 
mindwaves Sep 25, 2013 11:21 AM
These new iMacs are bigger news to me than the iPhone 5S. I kind of want one, waiting for iPad 5 instead.
 
Eriamjh Sep 27, 2013 12:10 PM
Quote, Originally Posted by P (Post 4249697)
iFixit seems to be remarkably behind on the hardware news for a company that repairs computers. They're reviewing the bottom model with Iris Pro graphics, and they note:


Yes - we know. All CPUs with Iris Pro graphics - that is, with the 128 MB eDRAM on the chip - are available only as BGA chips (soldered) rather than LGA (socketed). This was fairly major news at the Haswell launch, and the blame rests with Intel and not with Apple.
It's relevant to the repair score. Non-socketed CPU means no upgrade later.

There is no blame. iFixit just wants to let you know.
 
P Sep 27, 2013 12:57 PM
Sure, but they're making it sound like news, a drastic turn for the worse that Apple made willy-nilly. The change is because it's the only way to get that integrated GPU. Their fake outrage - because they knew that this was coming when they saw the specs - just reminds of a tabloid.
 
All times are GMT -4. The time now is 10:47 PM.

Copyright © 2005-2007 MacNN. All rights reserved.
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8
Copyright ©2000 - 2016, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.


Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.3.2