MacNN Forums (http://forums.macnn.com/)
-   Mac Desktops (http://forums.macnn.com/mac-desktops/)
-   -   New Mac Pros available tomorrow (http://forums.macnn.com/65/mac-desktops/506830/new-mac-pros-available-tomorrow/)

Thorzdad Dec 18, 2013 03:14 PM
New Mac Pros available tomorrow
It's official.
The new Mac Pros will be available for order starting tomorrow.

Andy8 Dec 19, 2013 03:15 AM
Store is down. :)

Thorzdad Dec 19, 2013 07:50 PM
For chuckles, I maxed-out the options on just a MacPro (no monitor, keyboard, etc. Just the Pro)
• 2.7GHz 12-core with 30MB of L3 cache
• 64GB (4x16GB) of 1866MHz DDR3 ECC RAM
• 1TB PCIe-based flash storage
• Dual AMD FirePro D700 GPUs with 6GB of GDDR5 VRAM each
$9,599.00

Add a 27" Thunderbolt display, and the total comes to $10,598.00. Opt for the 32" Sharp 4K display, and you're talking $14,193.00. Free shipping, though. :thumbsup:

mduell Dec 19, 2013 08:06 PM
The push for dual GPU and single CPU is so weird given how little software is fully GPU accelerated.

Spheric Harlot Dec 19, 2013 08:26 PM
Chicken/egg.

It will be, soon.

P Dec 20, 2013 06:03 AM
Sure, but it would be a nice touch to offer a cheaper version with "only" a single GPU. They can just leave that side of the triangle empty.

Spheric Harlot Dec 20, 2013 06:17 AM
For what market? The segment that wants more cores than an iMac but uses tools that won't ever be updated to utilize the GPUs?

That must surely be a tiny sliver of an already small market.

P Dec 20, 2013 09:26 AM
Not sure how small that market slice is, and it's easy enough to make such a variant.

mduell Dec 29, 2013 09:57 PM
I haven't seen anything conclusive on the GPUs... they're some Tahiti part (7970?) that AMD is letting Apple use non-standard FirePro markings on without any of the usual FirePro goodies (ECC RAM, software certification, SDI, etc) in bridgeless CrossFire?

Thorzdad Dec 30, 2013 12:10 PM

reader50 Dec 30, 2013 03:06 PM
Anyone here received one yet? Especially with the 3x 4K displays. Your thoughts and pix about the system would be interesting.

Demonhood Dec 31, 2013 02:55 PM
I should be getting one soon. Next week hopefully.

sunman42 Dec 31, 2013 05:48 PM
Single? CPU
Quote, Originally Posted by mduell (Post 4261775)
The push for dual GPU and single CPU is so weird given how little software is fully GPU accelerated.
Why are 12 physical cores on two CPUs better than 12 on one CPU? It has to be cheaper to produce the single CPU (pricing may be another issue, particularly early in the run). Do you have an application that would benefit from 24 physical cores?

The more likely answer is that Apple spent a lot of time studying, through online surveys (and I wouldn't be surprised by if they also interviewed folks in the content production industry face to face), what people actually did with their Mac Pros. I participated in one of the surveys back in (iirc) early 2010. I suspect that, like me, there were plenty of people who drove more than one (or two) display(s) with their Mac Pros.... and that they outnumbered the users who had all four disk slots filled, or who needed more than 12 physical cores to get their production jobs down in a reasonable amount of time.

For what it's worth, I currently run one 2010 Mac Pro with six (6) LED Cinema HD displays (two on Dual Link DVI-to-mDP adapters from Atlona) driven by two (2) 5770s and one 2009 model with the same cards, each driving a single, 30-inch Cinema Display over Dual-Link DVI, in addition to a couple with more normal desktop setups (single displays).

Thorzdad Dec 31, 2013 07:14 PM

reader50 Dec 31, 2013 08:10 PM
Quote, Originally Posted by sunman42 (Post 4262810)
Why are 12 physical cores on two CPUs better than 12 on one CPU? It has to be cheaper to produce the single CPU (pricing may be another issue, particularly early in the run).
Each CPU socket will have its own memory channel(s). So splitting the cores across 2 sockets doubles system memory bandwidth. Likewise each socket has its own connection to the rest of the system. So one socket could be talking to a PCIe card, while a core on the 2nd CPU handles RAID I/O to the drive array. Each CPU has full independent I/O bandwidth.

Thorzdad Jan 1, 2014 11:38 AM
I had no idea just how small the new Pro is until now. Here's a pic of it next to the previous Pro...

http://images.techhive.com/images/ar...99-gallery.jpg

OreoCookie Jan 1, 2014 04:03 PM
Is that your new machine? ;) :)

OreoCookie Jan 1, 2014 04:08 PM
Quote, Originally Posted by mduell (Post 4261775)
If you look at the scaling of cpu vs. gpu performance in Anandtech's review, you'll see that the only way to substantially increase performance is to tap the gpus for compute. If I understand Apple's move correctly, this is the »next MacBook Air«, i. e. they're showing off where computers are going (more emphasis on gpu computing, PCIe SSDs, etc.).
http://images.anandtech.com/reviews/...pugpulogsm.png

angelmb Jan 1, 2014 04:10 PM
I find this picture from OreoCookie's link to Anandtech's review to be even more eye-opening. This machine is more and more covetable by the minute.

http://images.anandtech.com/reviews/...DSC_4694sm.jpg

Thorzdad Jan 1, 2014 04:10 PM
Quote, Originally Posted by OreoCookie (Post 4262864)
Is that your new machine? ;) :)
:D I wish.
There's no way I could justify a new Mac Pro. My work doesn't call for that kind of muscle, and my wallet can't handle the cost.

auto_immune Jan 1, 2014 05:41 PM
Quote, Originally Posted by angelmb (Post 4262866)
I find this picture from OreoCookie's link to Anandtech's review to be even more eye-opening. This machine is more and more covetable by the minute.

http://images.anandtech.com/reviews/...DSC_4694sm.jpg
Looks just like a small chrome trash can!

BLAZE_MkIV Jan 1, 2014 08:42 PM
Quote, Originally Posted by auto_immune (Post 4262872)
Looks just like a small chrome trash can!
To kickstarter!

P Jan 2, 2014 04:34 PM
Quote, Originally Posted by reader50 (Post 4262824)
Each CPU socket will have its own memory channel(s). So splitting the cores across 2 sockets doubles system memory bandwidth. Likewise each socket has its own connection to the rest of the system. So one socket could be talking to a PCIe card, while a core on the 2nd CPU handles RAID I/O to the drive array. Each CPU has full independent I/O bandwidth.
All of this is correct, but Intel is not stupid. Memory bandwidth has gone up from 3 channels at DDR3-1333 to 4 channels at DDR3-1600 - or from 32 GB/s per socket (so 64 GB/s total) to 51.2 GB/s in total. Moreover, that meant that half the system memory was always one jump away - you had to use a QPI channel to talk to the other memory controller, which added some latency and restricted bandwidth slightly (25.6 GB/s max for the QPI link for the old Westmere models). For PCIe channels, the situation is even more improved: The old Westmere Xeons had 16 PCIe 2.0 channels per socket, and the new Ivy Bridge Xeons have 40 PCIe 3.0 channels in total. Since PCIe 3.0 doubles the bandwidth from PCIe 2.0, that means the total system bandwidth has more than doubled anyway. In fact, the new MP is insanely overprovisioned in the bandwidth department.

P Jan 4, 2014 05:17 PM
Quote, Originally Posted by mduell (Post 4262646)
I haven't seen anything conclusive on the GPUs... they're some Tahiti part (7970?) that AMD is letting Apple use non-standard FirePro markings on without any of the usual FirePro goodies (ECC RAM, software certification, SDI, etc) in bridgeless CrossFire?
Anand confirms that the D700 is an underclocked Tahiti, and that the others are Tahiti LE and Pitcairn with similar underclocks. The D500 is a "7930" in that it has the full memory bandwidth but even more clusters are disabled than in the 7950. The D700 has 6 gigs of RAM, which the 7970 doesn't normally get. Doesn't seem to be any differences in DP performance, and there is no ECC, so… this is the basic Radeons.

OreoCookie Jan 5, 2014 05:40 PM
AFAIK the AMD Tahiti GPU uses a virtual ECC scheme (as far as I understand it's a RAID5 for RAM), so they don't actually need ECC RAM modules. If I understand the situation correctly, Apple could reconfigure their cards so that you only have 5.25 GB »video« RAM per card at your disposal.

Demonhood Jan 10, 2014 05:05 PM
Apparently people wondered if the new Mac Pro could float a ping pong ball. So I tested it:
2013 Mac Pro Ping Pong Test - YouTube

reader50 Jan 10, 2014 07:53 PM
You didn't simulate maxed-out GPUs also. Might I suggest smcFanControl, manually forcing maximum fan?

It would be most interesting if a fan control could reverse the fan direction. The MacPro is doubtless too heavy to hover, but one could hope.

Demonhood Jan 10, 2014 08:15 PM
I also simulated with maxed-out GPUs, but there was no change. Using the fan control apps, it's still insufficient for lift. It does, however, swirl the ball around in the base endlessly. So that's fun.