MacNN Forums (http://forums.macnn.com/)
-   Mac News (http://forums.macnn.com/mac-news/)
-   -   Laurene Jobs launches website advocating Dream Act (http://forums.macnn.com/112/mac-news/497432/laurene-jobs-launches-website-advocating-dream/)

 
NewsPoster Jan 22, 2013 02:56 PM
Laurene Jobs launches website advocating Dream Act
The widow of Apple co-founder Steve Jobs, Laurene Powell Jobs, has launched a new website to help her promotion of the Dream Act. The site, <A href="http://www.thedreamisnow.org/">The Dream is Now</a>, features videos of immigrants who would benefit from the act's passing. The project was completed with the help of filmmaker Davis Guggenheim, best known for <em>An Inconvenient Truth</em> and <em>Waiting for Superman</em>. The former film, notably, centered around the climate change activism of current Apple board member Al Gore.<br />
<br />
Proposals for the Dream Act date back to 2001, but the measure has never made it through the US Congress. It would let immigrants under 30 who came to the US when they were under 15 earn legal residence through a series of procedures and fees, so long as they've lived in the country for over five years.

In an <a href="http://macnn.com/rd/277777==http://news.yahoo.com/blogs/lookout/dream-now-steve-jobs-widow-launches-dream-act-140301593.html" rel='nofollow'>interview</a> with Yahoo, Jobs says she became interested in the Dream Act because of College Track, an after-school program started in 1997 to help poor high school students get ready for college. She adds that she and Guggenheim wanted a "demystification," to "put a face" on the people the Dream Act would help.

Jobs rarely grants interviews. Even while her late husband was alive, she typically stayed out of the media spotlight.
 
mr_strat Jan 22, 2013 03:52 PM
If you want to come to this country, do so legally. Then assimilate into our culture and become a useful citizen. If you don't want to do that, then stay where you are.
 
Spheric Harlot Jan 22, 2013 04:21 PM
And if you already live there through no choice of your own and are already integrated and a useful citizen, **** THE HELL OFF TO WHERE YOUR PARENTS BROUGHT YOU IN FROM.

:rolleyes:

(or did you just miss the "under 15" bit?)
 
beb Jan 22, 2013 07:56 PM
It's better to be a tax-paying citizen with voting rights versus being someone who receives US benefits without reciprocating anything in return. As a Republican, I'd rather have law-abiding citizens versus freeloaders. Accordingly, making the path towards becoming a naturalized citizen should be made easier in order to preserve, protect, and ensure prosperity for all Americans.
 
gradient Jan 22, 2013 08:54 PM
Arguments against open immigration policies from citizens of countries that were founded on wide open immigration always crack me up.
 
mattyb Jan 23, 2013 02:44 AM
Quote, Originally Posted by gradient (Post 4213226)
Arguments against open immigration policies from citizens of countries that were founded on wide open immigration always crack me up.
Sssssshhhhh! They don't like to be reminded of that.
 
blahblahbber Jan 23, 2013 01:48 PM
people still trust al gore??
 
shifuimam Jan 23, 2013 04:52 PM
Quote, Originally Posted by beb (Post 4213209)
It's better to be a tax-paying citizen with voting rights versus being someone who receives US benefits without reciprocating anything in return. As a Republican, I'd rather have law-abiding citizens versus freeloaders. Accordingly, making the path towards becoming a naturalized citizen should be made easier in order to preserve, protect, and ensure prosperity for all Americans.
Just to clarify - many, even most, illegals in the United States (talking about Latinos here) pay taxes. They use falsified Social Security numbers and they do pay taxes. This doesn't account for everyone in the US illegally, but not everyone is just a freeloader.
 
besson3c Jan 23, 2013 04:56 PM
Quote, Originally Posted by mr_strat (Post 4213149)
If you want to come to this country, do so legally. Then assimilate into our culture and become a useful citizen. If you don't want to do that, then stay where you are.
Absorbing aspects of other cultures is what makes countries like this so interesting. Do you enjoy eating non-American food?
 
besson3c Jan 23, 2013 04:58 PM
Quote, Originally Posted by blahblahbber (Post 4213389)
people still trust al gore??

Relevance? Or, was this just the same sort of knee jerkiness that sets off all of your crApple nonsense too?
 
blahblahbber Jan 25, 2013 01:43 AM
Quote, Originally Posted by besson3c (Post 4213466)
Relevance? Or, was this just the same sort of knee jerkiness that sets off all of your crApple nonsense too?
Yeah, I got a twitch in the knee, you want to take a close look at it?
 
besson3c Jan 25, 2013 01:46 AM
Quote, Originally Posted by blahblahbber (Post 4213696)
Yeah, I got a twitch in the knee, you want to take a close look at it?

Your participation here has to be the weirdest hobby ever.
 
blahblahbber Jan 25, 2013 02:05 PM
Quote, Originally Posted by besson3c (Post 4213697)
Your participation here has to be the weirdest hobby ever.
Workin' on my third star, soooo... it helps. :p
 
besson3c Jan 25, 2013 02:30 PM
Quote, Originally Posted by blahblahbber (Post 4213760)
Workin' on my third star, soooo... it helps. :p

Have you thought about taking up badminton?
 
blahblahbber Jan 27, 2013 04:03 AM
Quote, Originally Posted by besson3c (Post 4213775)
Have you thought about taking up badminton?
Tried the Flip Ball Stick. Just not for me :(

I really think you might like the cork pop gun though.... It's best for the Clinically Insane.

http://www.mileskimball.com/mileskim...es/p64670b.jpg
 
All times are GMT -4. The time now is 11:38 AM.

Copyright © 2005-2007 MacNN. All rights reserved.
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8
Copyright ©2000 - 2016, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.


Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.3.2