MacNN Forums (
-   Mac News (
-   -   Gmail, Flipboard iOS apps get significant updates (

NewsPoster Mar 27, 2013 02:27 PM
Gmail, Flipboard iOS apps get significant updates
Google has updated the iOS <A href="">Gmail app</a> to v2.1, adding a pair of important changes. Users can now swipe left or right within an email to continue reading other messages, instead of having to return to the Inbox first. Selecting a message in the Inbox turns on Edit mode, making it easier to perform actions in bulk, like archivals and deletions.<br />
<br />
<a href="" rel='nofollow'>Flipboard</a> has meanwhile updated its iOS app to v2.0. The magazine-style feed reader now supports user-made magazines, which can be toggled as public or private. Content can be saved to a magazine from within Flipboard or using a special bookmarklet in external web browsers. Push notifications appear if a person likes a magazine, comments on it, or subscribes to it, and magazines can be shared via email, Facebook, Twitter, Google+, and other services.<br />
<br />
The app has also gained personalized recommendations for feeds, and pushed search functions to a more prominent place; search results should be improved. Lastly, page loading and turning have been sped up.
galley Mar 27, 2013 03:02 PM
Problem with Gmail "enhancement"
I often run through my list of e-mails, selecting messages I'm going to delete, but then I come to a message I'd like to check. Before, I could just tap the message I want to read, read it, go back to the InBox, and continue selecting more messages to be deleted (the previously-selected messages were still marked). Now, instead of just tapping a message to read it, I first have to trash the previously selected messages (otherwise tapping the message to be read just selects it). This is an extra action I didn't have to perform before. Or is there a way to read the message without first taking an action for the previously selected messages?