MacNN Forums (
-   Mac News (
-   -   Apple seeds sixth 10.8.4 beta to developers for testing (

NewsPoster May 8, 2013 07:26 PM
Apple seeds sixth 10.8.4 beta to developers for testing
The <a href="" rel='nofollow'>weekly release</a> of new builds of the forthcoming OS X Mountain Lion 10.8.4 are continuing apace, with build 12E47 now available for testers -- again with <a href="" rel='nofollow'>no new changes or known issues</a>, and again asking developers to focus testing efforts on the same areas as before: graphics, Safari and Wi-Fi performance. Earlier builds of 10.8.4 are known to be slightly improving battery life, addressing bugs with Wi-Fi stability and reconnection after waking from sleep, as well as fixing some remaining Nvidia card graphic glitches.<br />
<br />
Previous builds of 10.8.4 were also noted to contain compatibility code for as-yet-unreleased Macs that would have <a href=" rdware.on.the.way/#gIHooTwaS0MHtkuU.99" rel='nofollow'>802.11ac Wi-Fi chips</a>, which could hint of forthcoming models. Apple may be using the code in 10.8.4 as a testbed for compatibility in the future 10.9, which it will preview at the Worldwide Developer's Conference next month and may release in the weeks following the convention.<br />
<br />
The 802.11ac protocol will be backwards-compatible with 802.11g and n standards, and acts as a kind of successor to 802.11n -- using the same 5GHz band but promising significantly faster network speeds and greater range. The 802.11ac standard has not yet been formally ratified but <a href="" rel='nofollow'>is complete</a>, allowing products to be created using the protocol -- with any minor final revisions handled by firmware updates.<br />
<br />
Currently, no existing Mac or iOS products support 802.11ac in hardware, but routine "spec bump" revisions -- such as possible refreshes of the MacBook line that may be announced at the WWDC -- would add the capability. No timeframe has been given for the release of a final version of 10.8.4, though its predecessor 10.8.3 received an unusual 13 betas prior to release.<br />
<br />
<br />
bobolicious May 8, 2013 09:45 PM
I'm buying only snow leopard capable macs now - Apple is orphaning digital history... 1/3 of users are not upgrading. 10.9? Could 'power user' features include OS access independence...? Needing to run XP in 7 in virtualization to access old appleworks files is a fitting tribute to current Apple policy...
UmarOMC May 8, 2013 10:25 PM
According to the 10.8.4 beta contains drivers for the NVIDIA GTX Titan card.
Charles Martin May 9, 2013 01:03 AM
Apple OFFICIALLY discontinued Apple works **TEN YEARS AGO** -- your problem with compatibility is not due to Apple, it's you. You had (and on Snow Leopard still have) a DECADE of opportunity to convert those files to whatever the modern standard is. News flash: DVD replaced VHS, dude.
Spheric Harlot May 9, 2013 04:53 AM
Quote, Originally Posted by bobolicious (Post 4229786)
Needing to run XP in 7 in virtualization to access old appleworks files is a fitting tribute to current Apple policy...
This is just…wow.
Charles Martin May 9, 2013 06:17 AM
Oh noes! Look at all these old SuperScriptsit files I have from my TRS-80!! How will I ever open them now??! CURSE YOU RADIO SHACK, ITS YOUR FAULT YOU KNOW ...
Spheric Harlot May 9, 2013 06:59 AM

Did Apple break HyperCard in 10.8!?

Bastards and their planned obsolescence! My high school psych project is gone!
(NB: I graduated in '91)
Jeronimo2000 May 9, 2013 08:06 AM
bobo, you're still rocking floppy disks, right? :)

Seriously, Apple Works. Think about what you just wrote there.