MacNN Forums (http://forums.macnn.com/)
-   Mac Notebooks (http://forums.macnn.com/mac-notebooks/)
-   -   2nd thoughts on my Blackbook purchase - not received yet (http://forums.macnn.com/69/mac-notebooks/318409/2nd-thoughts-my-blackbook-purchase-not/)

 
sabotage79 Nov 23, 2006 10:24 AM
2nd thoughts on my Blackbook purchase - not received yet
Yesterday I purchased a brand new C2D Blackbook online from an individual. In the mean time, I've been reading the forums, and now I am second guessing my decision. I'm already thinking of purchasing a more 'mac' white model, and selling the blackbook, and I have not even received it yet!

I've been reading about the issues with oil stains & shine, which seem to be permanent in some cases, even after using iClean/iKlear/Mr Clean Eraser

1. With white I wouldn't have to wash my hands every time I wanted to use my macbook, it would be a non issue.
2. White is more 'mac' while black is similar to other PC Laptops, like Thinkpads I've owned.
3. White is less money.

I could recover my money i'm sure - it is brand new sealed. Then buy a white model. I just hate that I found out about the blackbook issues (legitimate?) AFTER making the purchase.

I don't know what to do!

Please help me! :brick: :cry: :brick:
 
Z4cane Nov 23, 2006 10:47 AM
Well, if you buy a white one, there are issues related to keeping it clean as well. In addition, even though black is more $, it has a larger hard drive. Just my $ .02.
 
m_young Nov 23, 2006 11:39 PM
The black is going to show regardless of whether you wash your hands or not. you'd basically have to wear latex gloves to not show.

that being said... i'm more than happy with black. i had a white iBook for 3 years, and the palmrests would be super gross if i hadn't had the top case replaced after 1 year. They still show signs, and it's only grey. The macbook has serious discoloration issues, and even if they're solved, it's still going to end up showing something.

Also, as stated above, the black has the larger hard drive, and more memory.

As for the white being more mac, that's ridiculous. It's still an apple form factor, there's no way you're going to mistake this for your thinkpad. it's smooth on all edges, etc, etc.

The real issue is keeping the glossy display clean. I tried cleaning it for the first time today and it is streak city.
 
iREZ Nov 24, 2006 02:00 AM
both have their issues...id get white instead of black for personal reasons but thats just me. live and let be and enjoy your blackbook.
 
ChasingApple Nov 24, 2006 04:20 AM
After the Clamshell ibook went the way of the dodo EVERY iBook and now Macbook after show palm stains, and it looks ugly over time. Dirt shows up big time on the greyish / white books. The blackbook IS going to show off fingerprints and greasy smudges, but so does the white. My wife has a Macbook and she is always trying to keep the damn thing cleaned. She finally went and ordered a protective Macstyle setup for her Macbook, and once that gets here I will of course review it for others.

The Blackbook is kind of a rip, the extra $150 or so just to get black is ridiculous. It is a nice machine to be sure, just not worth the price of admission. As for the "keeping it clean thing", give up now...ALL Macbooks show dirt more then other laptops.
 
analogika Nov 24, 2006 05:40 AM
Quote, Originally Posted by ChasingApple (Post 3217335)
The Blackbook is kind of a rip, the extra $150 or so just to get black is ridiculous.
um...get with the times.

The Blackbook has a 120GB drive, which is a $150 upgrade over the 80GB in the white one, at the Apple Store.

So the black tax is $50 - much more reasonable, if you ask me.

Edit: which is to say, I ordered a black one - which arrived the moment I hit "Post Reply". :D
 
andretan Nov 24, 2006 08:34 AM
*cough* Colorware a white MacBook :p
 
analogika Nov 24, 2006 09:22 AM
Is that cheaper than $50? ;)
 
bradoz71 Nov 24, 2006 09:58 PM
Keep the blackbook! Just clean it every once in a while. Looks like new every time. :D
 
gametime10 Nov 24, 2006 10:04 PM
I'll trade you my CD White MacBook 2.0Ghz =)
 
Dave B Nov 25, 2006 01:48 AM
Quote, Originally Posted by analogika (Post 3217349)
um...get with the times.

The Blackbook has a 120GB drive, which is a $150 upgrade over the 80GB in the white one, at the Apple Store.

So the black tax is $50 - much more reasonable, if you ask me.

Actually, I could order a 120 GB Seagate online for $110.00, and still retain the 80 GB drive
to use an external - or sell it for even greater savings over the Blackbook™. The point is,
with the Blackbook you are paying (too much) for that 120 GB whether you want it or not.
So it's still a $150 "black tax" as far as I'm concerned. The white 2 Ghz mid-range model is
by far the best buy, especially when you consider how easily the hard drives are swapped.
 
analogika Nov 25, 2006 06:04 AM
Well, yeah, you can get a component cheaper somewhere on the internet than as a BTO-option in the Apple store.

O RLY?
 
Kamikaze Nov 25, 2006 09:26 AM
sabotage79,

I have the same issue with my "dirty" Blackbook. I went and purchased a MBP and to tell the truth I was disapointed that the MBP is Painted. SO if you want a really cool painted solution go to ColorWare and check out hier builds The white keyborad with "Jet" black looks really cool.

That is what I will be doing once I off the MBP.

Good luck
 
Dave B Nov 25, 2006 10:39 AM
Quote, Originally Posted by analogika (Post 3218330)
Well, yeah, you can get a component cheaper somewhere on the internet than as a BTO-option in the Apple store.

O RLY?

Smart-alec replies aside, you are very much missing the point.
But as long as we're having fun justifying our purchases, I'll join in... :bicker:

You're making it sound like the Blackbook is giving you a 120 GB hard drive
for $150 vs $110 online. Alas, you are not getting a 120 GB hard drive for $150.

You are paying $150 for an extra 40 GB!

And where did your 80 GB drive go? Into another Macbook of course. Uh, Hello? :rolleyes:

Let's say I wanted a Blackbook but wanted the Seagate 160 GB (perpendicular recording).
I would still have to pay the $1500 (vs $1300 for the 2 Ghz white - $200 more BTW).
There's no way around this premium and it stinks IMO. Really? Yes, "O RLY!!" :cool:

For those of us who want a 160 GB Macbook, and don't have money to burn, the choices are:

-Blackbook ($1500) + BTO 160 GB drive ($100) = $1600

- white 2 Ghz Macbook ($1300) + mail-order 160 GB drive ($175) = $1475

After spending 5 minutes (or less) swapping drives, I can sell the unused 80 GB drive
on Ebay or Craigslist for $50 - $80, likely even more. So at the very least, I'm getting
that Whitebook™ for $225 less than the Blackbook. I know the truth hurts, but that's how it is. :P
 
Z4cane Nov 25, 2006 10:45 AM
Quote, Originally Posted by Dave B (Post 3218415)
Smart-alec replies aside, you are very much missing the point.
But as long as we're having fun justifying our purchases, I'll join in... :bicker:

You're making it sound like the Blackbook is giving you a 120 GB hard drive
for $150 vs $110 online. Alas, you are not getting a 120 GB hard drive for $150.

You are paying $150 for an extra 40 GB!

And where did your 80 GB drive go? Into another Macbook of course. Uh, Hello? :rolleyes:

Let's say I wanted a Blackbook but wanted the Seagate 160 GB (perpendicular recording).
I would still have to pay the $1500 (vs $1300 for the 2 Ghz white - $200 more BTW).
There's no way around this premium and it stinks IMO. Really? Yes, "O RLY!!" :cool:

For those of us who want a 160 GB Macbook, and don't have money to burn, the choices are:

-Blackbook ($1500) + BTO 160 GB drive ($100) = $1600

- white 2 Ghz Macbook ($1300) + mail-order 160 GB drive ($175) = $1475

After spending 5 minutes (or less) swapping drives, I can sell the unused 80 GB drive
on Ebay or Craigslist for $50 - $80, likely even more. So at the very least, I'm getting
that Whitebook™ for $225 less than the Blackbook. I know the truth hurts, but that's how it is. :P
Sorry. You can spin it any way you want to, but you're not comparing apples to apples.
 
theTechyDork Nov 25, 2006 10:46 AM
To be honest, I wish I had gotten black. With black, you protect yourself from scratches on the lid, finger prints showing up on the lid, and you don't have to worry about discoloration on the wrest pads.
 
Dave B Nov 25, 2006 11:31 AM
Quote, Originally Posted by Z4cane (Post 3218417)
Sorry. You can spin it any way you want to, but you're not comparing apples to apples.

Well, at least we're debating Blackbook vs Whitebook™ and not Apple vs PC...:lol:

Let me spin it some more:

Cheapest possible Whitebook: $1100

Cheapest possible Blackbook: $1500 :eek:

End of story!
 
analogika Nov 25, 2006 12:42 PM
Cheapest possible Dellbook: $500 :eek: :eek: :eek:
 
cyrana Nov 25, 2006 12:52 PM
Quote, Originally Posted by analogika (Post 3218494)
Cheapest possible Dellbook: $500 :eek: :eek: :eek:
Getting what you paid for...priceless.

I have a white C2D MB anyway and like it. But I got it just because I didn't want a black notebook, not because it cost marginally less.
 
Dave B Nov 25, 2006 03:19 PM
I already have a cheap dell laptop, thank you
Just so you guys don't think I'm cheap, I bought the Rev B iMac right after it came out in '05.
$1860 with BT keyboard and mouse. I did get a 10% discount from a friend at the Apple Store.
The 2 GB RAM was $158 online, and the Applecare was $120 online. Of course the iSight iMac
came out 4 months later, and the current iMac runs circles around mine and costs $1500.

Now, if Apple were to introduce a (PRODUCT) RED™ Macbook for $300.00 more than the base-model
Macbook (same $300 as with the Blackbook), I would be all over it - provided the extra $300
went to charity and not Apple. Apple is gouging us for the black, and you guys can try to justify
it all you want - but I ain't buying (literally nor figuratively). And I consider myself an Apple fanboy.
Until Apple sells a Blackbook with the same specs for the same price, you guys are just blowing smoke. ;)

Incidentally, the Dell was given to me for helping a friend set up her new 20" iMac Core 2 Duo.
It is a 1 Ghz P3, and (sadly) is much faster than my Pismo. But it's a 2" tank with a 15 minute
battery, (vs 6 1/2) and it looks like hell. And Windows really does suck!
 
hldan Nov 25, 2006 04:59 PM
Quote, Originally Posted by sabotage79 (Post 3216630)
Yesterday I purchased a brand new C2D Blackbook online from an individual. In the mean time, I've been reading the forums, and now I am second guessing my decision. I'm already thinking of purchasing a more 'mac' white model, and selling the blackbook, and I have not even received it yet!

I've been reading about the issues with oil stains & shine, which seem to be permanent in some cases, even after using iClean/iKlear/Mr Clean Eraser

1. With white I wouldn't have to wash my hands every time I wanted to use my macbook, it would be a non issue.
2. White is more 'mac' while black is similar to other PC Laptops, like Thinkpads I've owned.
3. White is less money.

I could recover my money i'm sure - it is brand new sealed. Then buy a white model. I just hate that I found out about the blackbook issues (legitimate?) AFTER making the purchase.

I don't know what to do!

Please help me! :brick: :cry: :brick:


Look, whatever you buy in this world you will have to keep clean, cars, electronics, etc, epecially when the item is black but I wouldn't let a very small thing like simple maintenance stop me from buying what I really want. What's the big deal and who's gonna really judge you if you have fingerprints or smudges on your notebook computer. If you truly "need" a low manintenance Apple notebook then you have to buy the MacBook Pro. I have had my aluminum PowerBook for 3 years now and it looks like I just took it out of the box for the first time. The aluminum is better suited for aesthetics but you have to pay a major premium for that.

Just get the black Macbook and wipe it clean as you would the screen. Don't make this a big deal, it's really not.
 
hldan Nov 25, 2006 05:14 PM
Quote, Originally Posted by Dave B (Post 3218586)
Macbook (same $300 as with the Blackbook), I would be all over it - provided the extra $300
went to charity and not Apple. Apple is gouging us for the black, and you guys can try to justify
it all you want - but I ain't buying (literally nor figuratively). And I consider myself an Apple fanboy.
Until Apple sells a Blackbook with the same specs for the same price, you guys are just blowing smoke. ;)

Incidentally, the Dell was given to me for helping a friend set up her new 20" iMac Core 2 Duo.
It is a 1 Ghz P3, and (sadly) is much faster than my Pismo. But it's a 2" tank with a 15 minute
battery, (vs 6 1/2) and it looks like hell. And Windows really does suck!

Okay so parts of what you said make sense but the rest of it is nonsense. What company do you know that will offer you a product that comes in 2 distinct designs, one being sorta ho-hum and the other being very eye-catching but both cost the same, take your pic. So for example Sony is notrious for not only charging very high premiums for their products but they will purposely make their higher end models look tons better than the cheaper ones even if there's not much difference in features. They do this because they know people buy on looks before anything else.

People don't need to justify reasons to buy the black Macbook, it's just what they want and Apple knows this so this is why they will charge more for it. It may even cost Apple less to make the black model but if they charged the same price for the black and the white the black would win hands down so the company capitalizes on this.
Nobody is an idiot if they buy the black over the white even if the specs matched perfectly. It's not about "Buying In" to Apple's BS it's just buying what you want but if it's not for you don't make others on this forum feel stupid for their purchase.
And BTW, the payment you received for setting up your friends new Mac wasn't hardly payment enuf.
 
jasong Nov 25, 2006 06:19 PM
I can't believe I read this whole thread . . .
 
analogika Nov 25, 2006 07:01 PM
Marketing is about creating perceived value, and pricing the product accordingly.

I got the black model because I wanted the black one. I'm pleased that they increased HD capacity in the newest generation, but I was prepared to pay the extra €200 for what happens to be, in my opinion, a €200 cooler product.

End of story.
 
sailin74 Nov 25, 2006 07:14 PM
Just enjoy the Black Macbook. There are plusses and minuses to both. There's a big illuminated apple in the middle of the top. No one at a meeting will assume it's a Dell. It's not worth the trouble. Enjoy what you have.
 
analogika Nov 25, 2006 07:32 PM
btw, i absolutely love the feel of the matte black MacBook's shell.

Never liked the feel of the white iBooks/MacBooks.
 
Dave B Nov 26, 2006 03:51 PM
Quote, Originally Posted by hldan (Post 3218677)
Okay so parts of what you said make sense but the rest of it is nonsense. What company do you know that will offer you a product that comes in 2 distinct designs, one being sorta ho-hum and the other being very eye-catching but both cost the same, take your pic.
Uhhh, Apple? :rolleyes:

When the iPod Nano was released, there was no price difference between the black and the white.
Same with the iPod video. More info:

http://blogs.business2.com/utilitybe..._ipods_wo.html

Quote, Originally Posted by hldan (Post 3218677)
Nobody is an idiot if they buy the black over the white even if the specs matched perfectly. It's not about "Buying In" to Apple's BS it's just buying what you want but if it's not for you don't make others on this forum feel stupid for their purchase.
It's pretty lame to put words in my mouth. I never said anying remotely like what you're inferring.
I never called anyone an idiot or stupid. Where on earth did you get that idea?
I just pointed out that I don't like the fact that Apple puts a premium on black Macbooks;
note that they DIDN'T do this with the Nanos and Video iPods, the new 8 GB Nano notwithstanding.

Quote, Originally Posted by hldan (Post 3218677)
And BTW, the payment you received for setting up your friends new Mac wasn't hardly payment enuf.
In case you're not joking, I could sell this thing (Dell 2500) right now on Ebay for $160 - 200.
That's a pretty good deal for 1/2 hour of "work". Did I mention she was a friend? I wasn't expecting
any payment - she just gave it to me for helping her out.

FWIW, I really like the Blackbook, and wish I could get a similarly-equipped model for the
same as a white one, as I still can with the iPod video. Until then, it's white for me.
When I see someione with a Blackbook, I don't think anything less of them as you imply.
They felt it was worth the premium; I do not. That is all.
 
Dave B Nov 26, 2006 04:09 PM
Quote, Originally Posted by jasong (Post 3218736)
I can't believe I read this whole thread . . .
Admit it - you like it as much as we do... :lol: :bicker: :lol:
 
stefanicotine Nov 26, 2006 05:48 PM
Haha I can't believe how easy it is for us to fight over something so petty. It's just paint.
 
Karpfish Nov 26, 2006 07:09 PM
im o myCD blackbook and my sister is sitting next to me on her CD white macbook. The black is a lot better looking, and feeling.
 
analogika Nov 26, 2006 07:56 PM
Quote, Originally Posted by Dave B (Post 3219556)
I just pointed out that I don't like the fact that Apple puts a premium on black Macbooks;
note that they DIDN'T do this with the Nanos and Video iPods, the new 8 GB Nano notwithstanding.
So why do you exclude the new 8GB nano?

And did you somehow fail to notice how, oddly, the gorgeous aluminium finish was only available on the drastically higher-priced Powerbook and PowerMac series?

Same thing.

Quote, Originally Posted by Dave B (Post 3219556)
FWIW, I really like the Blackbook, and wish I could get a similarly-equipped model for the
same as a white one, as I still can with the iPod video. Until then, it's white for me.
When I see someione with a Blackbook, I don't think anything less of them as you imply.
They felt it was worth the premium; I do not. That is all.
I suggest you refrain from buying one, then.

You're missing out, though: They're a lot nicer than the white ones. :p

You are, of course *extremely* lucky not to be in the market for an iPod nano. Or rather, *we* are - you'd probably be filling up the iPod forum then, right? ;)
 
m_young Nov 26, 2006 08:44 PM
The black just feels more grown up. My iBook is like a kids toy, with the way the plastic feels. The black matte is just a nice overall finish, and I'm not upset to think that I paid more for it. I also didn't have to wait for a BTO unit, I bought it at the store.
 
bxs Nov 27, 2006 08:54 PM
The Black is NOT paint
1) The Black MacBook is solid black thru and thru. A deep scratch inside the battery compartment will be evidence of this.

2) My wife's Black MacBook was bought first week it was released and she uses it heavily every day, and more. The only area that shows heavy use is the space bar and part of the track pad - both are somewhat shiny.

3) The Black matte-like finish is easily cleaned with heavy pressure and wiping action of a RadTech cloth. Breath on the surface to deposit a small amount of moisture and wipe away. It returns the black surface to pristine condition.

4) Glossy screen cleaning is an art but can be done once in awhile with damp clean cloth. The more frequently this is done the easier it will be to keep clean as normal air crud and dust will build up on the screen surface otherwise making cleaning harder.

5) My wife looked at the White and Black models side by side in the local Apple Store and without hesitation selected the Black model. I told her it was more expensive by about $150 but she refused to change her mind.

6) My wife continues to really like her Black MacBook and family and friends will always comment on it looking really cool.

7) Strangely enough my wife dislikes the white Apple logo on the backside of the screen lid. She prefers to stay or show herself as platform agnostic. Plus, she claims it's a dead give away in a public place for someone looking to steal her lovely cool-looking MacBook. :)
 
macnixer Nov 29, 2006 03:05 AM
I am happy to have a BlackBook and have name it so too...
Quote, Originally Posted by sabotage79 (Post 3216630)
Yesterday I purchased a brand new C2D Blackbook online from an individual. In the mean time, I've been reading the forums, and now I am second guessing my decision.
<snip>
.
.
</snip>
I don't know what to do!

Please help me! :brick: :cry: :brick:
Frankly my white iMac at home got dull over a period of time. Come to think of it, I never had taken it around either.
The BlackBook is prettier than most MacBooks (including the MBPs). It is distinct.
You can keep the book shining using the following:
1. MARWARE protectors
2. Incase sleeves
3. Use damp cloth with Dettol (few drops on cloth) to wipe the outside of the Book and area with stains. Keeps the germs aways too.
 
All times are GMT -4. The time now is 09:14 AM.

Copyright © 2005-2007 MacNN. All rights reserved.
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.


Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.3.2