MacNN Forums (http://forums.macnn.com/)
-   Mac Notebooks (http://forums.macnn.com/mac-notebooks/)
-   -   Beer Damage (http://forums.macnn.com/69/mac-notebooks/329931/beer-damage/)

JonDrover Mar 11, 2007 09:05 PM
Beer Damage
I was using my 17" MacBook Pro to spin some tunes last night at a party and it took a bath in beer. A friend spilled a FULL pint onto the table, flooding my mac from the rear. I didn't know anything until the music went silent and the mac went dead. I pulled the plug and the battery and picked it up off the table. Beer poured from every orifice of the mac onto the table. Everyone in the room went silent. I had little hope of recovery but I left it on the table to drain.

I headed home early and took the entire laptop apart and laid it out on my kitchen table. I used rubbing alcohol, QTips and a couple of cans of compressed air to clean all of the different parts.(Hard drive, DVD drive, logic board, two fans, speakers, wireless boards, keyboard, RAM, etc.) I made a map of the screws to make sure they went back into the same holes. I was really surprised how much beer was left in the mac even after I let it drain for about an hour. The entire inside was covered in beer.

I went to bed around 4am to let everything dry out. The next day before I put each part back I blew it out thoroughly with the compressed air to ensure all the little cracks were cleaned and dry. After about an hour of assembly I finally put the battery back in and pushed the power button. To my surprise it booted back up and everything works perfectly except it smells like beer when it get hot.

So if you drown your mac, don't give up, there is hope.

Cheers,
Jon_

ghporter Mar 11, 2007 10:07 PM
Was it at least good beer? I'd hate to have to smell cheap beer while using my Mac.

My wife wants to know if you killed the guy who spilled the beer in the first place... You're under no obligation to incriminate yourself here, but my first reaction (after pulling the plug and battery) would be to see how far up the guy's nose I could put the empty pint!

JonDrover Mar 11, 2007 10:12 PM
It was Quidi Vidi Lite, a local micro brewery, very nice beer!

It was a female that spilled the beer and it was an accident. I should have spanked her though!

Cheers,
Jon_

Sub Mar 11, 2007 10:31 PM
I would think of that as a plus, it's like advertisement.

Guy1: Hey, your laptop smells like a great beer I have never tasted!
You: Yeah it's "Quidi Vidi Lite", (insert name of your favorite beer here if you aren't this guy), from a brewery in St. John's, Newfoundland! (insert name of the brewery your favorite brew was made here).
Guy1: Well then, I'll have to pick some of that up, thanks!
Guy2: Dude, what the **** is up with your laptop, god! you gotta put that **** on eBay!

So it may only work half the time, but you might get a discount from the brewery.

JonDrover Mar 11, 2007 10:42 PM
I should contact the brewery! Only thing is that as I type this on the laptop its making me thirsty for beer! This laptop is going to further my path to alcoholism...

Sub Mar 12, 2007 03:23 PM
Try re-enacting the spill with diet soda, no matter how much you drink, you never get any un-healthier. And it smells almost as good as beer.