MacNN Forums (http://forums.macnn.com/)
-   Mac Notebooks (http://forums.macnn.com/mac-notebooks/)
-   -   New MBPs on the horizon? (http://forums.macnn.com/69/mac-notebooks/496645/new-mbps-on-the-horizon/)

luap82 Dec 29, 2012 11:29 AM
New MBPs on the horizon?
I'm about to replace my 5-year-old desktop with a laptop for portability. I'll get the high-end 15" non-retina because I don't need a retina display at this point (technology too new) and I still need an optical drive.

First, is this a bad time to buy a MBP, i.e. is Apple planning to release something new that will drop the price soon? I assume not, since the retinas just came out, but figured it would be best to ask.

Second, if someone can give me a good reason to go retina versus the old optical drive model, I might consider, but the price savings are pretty attractive.

Thanks!

mduell Dec 29, 2012 01:41 PM
I expect the next upgrade to be Haswell in the summer.

Guesses:
All Retina and optical-drive free lineup.
Retina will move down to the current non-Retina price.

edit: MacRumors agrees.

FireWire Jan 19, 2013 02:36 AM
Damn it! I was hoping for an Early-2013 release.. I'm in the market for a MBP but the current limitations are bothering me. I want an SSD but I also need space, and Apple doesn't include an option for Fusion Drive on this model...

And now that Hoswell seems delayed until summer, the next revision will probably be released in Late 2013. And by then, that will be an 1.0 version, which I'm not fond of.. dilemma, dilemma...

I, too, will be buying the 15" non-retina, as the MBP will be hooked on an external display most of the time (as my main computer, which will replace my 2007 iMac).

mduell Jan 19, 2013 01:39 PM
Quote, Originally Posted by FireWire (Post 4212628)
Damn it! I was hoping for an Early-2013 release.. I'm in the market for a MBP but the current limitations are bothering me. I want an SSD but I also need space, and Apple doesn't include an option for Fusion Drive on this model...
I can't see Fusion coming to any (R)MBP. Apple is pushing thin thin thin not affordable and performant storage. The RMBP doesn't even have a 2.5" drive, in favor of a SSD on a card.

Quote, Originally Posted by FireWire (Post 4212628)
And now that Hoswell seems delayed until summer, the next revision will probably be released in Late 2013. And by then, that will be an 1.0 version, which I'm not fond of.. dilemma, dilemma...
The 2013 Haswell MBP lineup should be a second generation of the RMBP design, not a new v1.0 design.

FireWire Jan 20, 2013 10:07 PM
Quote, Originally Posted by mduell (Post 4212674)
I can't see Fusion coming to any (R)MBP. Apple is pushing thin thin thin not affordable and performant storage. The RMBP doesn't even have a 2.5" drive, in favor of a SSD on a card.
So what are we supposed to do with our TBs of data? I understand there's a need for ultra thin laptop but many people need vast storage as well. I could use the cloud but that would be inconvenient when I can't access the web and want to listen to music or ripped DVDs. (like behind a strict firewall, in a bus or in the wood).

Quote, Originally Posted by mduell
The 2013 Haswell MBP lineup should be a second generation of the RMBP design, not a new v1.0 design.
I thought Haswell was an entirely new chipset.

mduell Jan 20, 2013 11:21 PM
Quote, Originally Posted by FireWire (Post 4212863)
So what are we supposed to do with our TBs of data? I understand there's a need for ultra thin laptop but many people need vast storage as well. I could use the cloud but that would be inconvenient when I can't access the web and want to listen to music or ripped DVDs. (like behind a strict firewall, in a bus or in the wood).
Use externals. USB3 chipsets are so cheap the external 2TB laptop drives are cheaper than the internal 2TB laptop drives. Thunderbolt is a bit more, but the performance difference between USB3 and TB doesn't matter for single spinning disks.

Quote, Originally Posted by FireWire (Post 4212863)
I thought Haswell was an entirely new chipset.
Sure it's the next generation from Intel, but it's the same overall architecture with very low risk to the end user. It's not like a new design/v1.0 from Apple.

FireWire Jan 22, 2013 11:23 AM
That kind of defeat the point of having a thin laptop if we have to hook up external DVD and HD... a few years ago they used to laugh at wintel for having so many cables, while the Mac was uncluttered.... Plus I can't use Fusion Drive. I find it strange that Apple invents something just for one or two models.. I thought they were going in that direction for the entire lineup

mduell Jan 23, 2013 07:21 AM
The number of users who need more than 0.5TB on a laptop is pretty low; why penalize all users with size and weight to accommodate them?

Fusion is a stopgap for desktops until flash becomes more affordable.

FireWire Jan 24, 2013 09:11 AM
Really? I was under the impression that people needed more and more space, with 16 MP cameras taking 7 MB picture, hi-quality music and digital movies download and ripping. Even then, if I only need 400 GB but wants the speed of SSD without paying 900$, I'm out of luck.. 128+500 would be fine...