MacNN Forums (http://forums.macnn.com/)
-   Mac OS X (http://forums.macnn.com/mac-os-x/)
-   -   Just A Question! :P (http://forums.macnn.com/90/mac-os-x/346051/just-a-question-p/)

rzepeckix Aug 23, 2007 01:53 AM
Just A Question! :P
Gday, ive been thinking about buying a mac book pro laptop the expensive model :) all i want it for is gaming and creatoin but have recently heard that its possible to run osx on x86 based machine so i thought to myself why not buy a alienware computer (their top model) :) and run osx on it??
any way my question is what are the disadvantges??
what are the advantges?? (if any?)
and YOUR point of view???

p.s i do realize its illegal to run osx on x86 :) (but i intend to buy a copy of osx!) :D

CHEEERS, rzepeckix :p

seanc Aug 23, 2007 04:10 AM
1. Horrible title
2. OS X off the shelf will only work on PowerPC Macs
3. MacNN don't condone or support piracy

rzepeckix Aug 23, 2007 06:42 AM
wtf?
wtf?!!?!?! thanx for nothing mate..... i came to this forum fir some help and i end up gettin :censor: from a fricken 40 year old virgin!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :thumbsdow poor efort

C.A.T.S. CEO Aug 23, 2007 07:25 AM
Quote, Originally Posted by rzepeckix (Post 3463309)
wtf?!!?!?! thanx for nothing mate..... i came to this forum fir some help and i end up gettin :censor: from a fricken 40 year old virgin!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :thumbsdow poor efort
Rules mate, rules....

Sherman Homan Aug 23, 2007 07:48 AM
rzepeckix, you asked for opinions about advantages, disadvantages and people's point of view. seanc gave you three perfectly true, valid points.

JKT Aug 23, 2007 08:19 AM
He did provide you with help - OS X bought off the shelf can't be installed on an Intel machine at all. It has to be the Intel version of OS X and you can only obtain that illegally. But, hey, you just go ahead and give the fella some attitude for trying to save you £/$ of wasted money...

Fwiw, the response to your poll is very much a don't bother to go the OSX on X86 route if you want to keep your system up-to-date in any fashion, and it won't necessarily work on just any PC because there won't be drivers for lots of the hardware that could potentially be in it (e.g. Apple don't bother including drivers in OS X for graphics cards that aren't already in their shipping models, etc.).

seanc Aug 24, 2007 08:46 AM
You're welcome. Anger management classes recommended to you.

Those three points gave you all you need to know, make a more descriptive title next time, don't waste your money on the off the shelf version of OS X because it won't work on Intel hardware and we won't help you put OS X on your PC because it's illegal. This implies that you should go with the MacBook Pro.

OreoCookie Aug 24, 2007 09:10 AM
(i) OS X does not run on non-Apple hardware.
(ii) You cannot purchase 10.4 for Intel (since all Intel machines have been released after 10.4), so you cannot legally try to run OS X on non-Apple hardware.
(iii) It's not really helpful if you start insulting other members.

pinenuts Aug 24, 2007 10:12 AM
Quote, Originally Posted by C.A.T.S. CEO (Post 3463322)
Rules mate, rules....
Are plyable and bendable.

Peter Aug 25, 2007 07:56 AM
Quote, Originally Posted by seanc (Post 3463267)
1. Horrible title
2. OS X off the shelf will only work on PowerPC Macs
3. MacNN don't condone or support piracy
what he said