MacNN Forums (http://forums.macnn.com/)
-   Mac OS X (http://forums.macnn.com/mac-os-x/)
-   -   Why is it.... (http://forums.macnn.com/90/mac-os-x/405026/why-is-it/)

bishopazrael Dec 7, 2009 12:09 PM
Why is it....
Ok so I've always had the ability in Safari to just type in the domain name like lifehacker, macworld, etc... of any webpage and it would just go to that page. Safari would add on the www. xxx .com Now it's not doing that. Instead I get the roadrunner search page?

I just put in a new belkin n+ router. Is that the cause?

Big Mac Dec 7, 2009 12:13 PM
It was probably your DNS modifying the address in the way you like, and I know it's annoying at times that servers don't seem to do it anymore. There may be some way to modify things on the Unix layer to have OS X do that automatically, but if there is it sounds complicated.

Simon Dec 7, 2009 12:15 PM
It's the DNS settings. Probably related to installing a new router.

To get back the old behavior on your Mac set the DNS server to Google's.
Sys Prefs > Network > Airport > Advanced > DNS
Enter 8.8.8.8 and 8.8.4.4.

If you like what you get you can probably also configure the router to use those DNS IPs and then every client will use them automatically.

bishopazrael Dec 7, 2009 01:53 PM
Wow. Thanks guys. I thought for a minute that safari had quit automatically parsing things you typed into the address bar. I'll try this in a bit.

Chuckit Dec 7, 2009 02:08 PM
Quote, Originally Posted by Big Mac (Post 3913246)
It was probably your DNS modifying the address in the way you like, and I know it's annoying at times that servers don't seem to do it anymore. There may be some way to modify things on the Unix layer to have OS X do that automatically, but if there is it sounds complicated.
No, Safari adds the www. and .com when whatever is typed in the address bar can't be resolved. It's Roadrunner messing it up by not running a conforming DNS server.

ghporter Dec 17, 2009 09:54 PM
You can use OpenDNS and never worry about your ISP's DNS servers being up to date, slow, or just plain a pain. Works great.

imitchellg5 Dec 17, 2009 09:58 PM
Quote, Originally Posted by ghporter (Post 3916985)
You can use OpenDNS and never worry about your ISP's DNS servers being up to date, slow, or just plain a pain. Works great.
Google's DNS does the same.

Also, if you don't mind doing a *bit* more work, there is a sweet application called namebench that will find the fastest DNS for you. It's best if you can apply these settings to your router. At home, I found that using Qwest's local DNS servers were faster than either Google's DNS and OpenDNS.

bishopazrael Dec 18, 2009 12:43 PM
Thank you Mitchell for the namebench ... Putting it to good use now on all my systems.

shifuimam Dec 18, 2009 06:03 PM
Does Cmd+Enter add www. and .com in Safari? I know it works in Firefox...

imitchellg5 Dec 18, 2009 06:09 PM
No, that opens the address that you typed in a new window or tab.

Thinine Dec 19, 2009 07:26 PM
Quote, Originally Posted by imitchellg5 (Post 3916989)
Google's DNS does the same.

Also, if you don't mind doing a *bit* more work, there is a sweet application called namebench that will find the fastest DNS for you. It's best if you can apply these settings to your router. At home, I found that using Qwest's local DNS servers were faster than either Google's DNS and OpenDNS.
I've always found OpenDNS to be the fastest from my location, for the Alexa 10000 run anyway. And speed is only one part. Reliability and other features make it much more worthwhile than a few milliseconds response time.

turtle777 Dec 19, 2009 11:07 PM
Quote, Originally Posted by imitchellg5 (Post 3916989)
Also, if you don't mind doing a *bit* more work, there is a sweet application called namebench that will find the fastest DNS for you.
Awesome :thumbsup:

Thanks for the link.

-t