MacNN Forums (http://forums.macnn.com/)
-   Mac OS X (http://forums.macnn.com/mac-os-x/)
-   -   Side bar, have to stop using (http://forums.macnn.com/90/mac-os-x/497756/side-bar-have-to-stop-using/)

jeff k Feb 2, 2013 01:41 PM
Side bar, have to stop using
I love the side bar, but I now have to stop using it unless someone has a solution for this persistent issue. After I do clones in super duper, suddenly all my favorite folders in sidebar, no originate from the back hard drive.

Spheric Harlot Feb 2, 2013 04:03 PM
Same issue you've posted about before.

http://forums.macnn.com/90/mac-os-x/...t-the-sidebar/
http://forums.macnn.com/82/applicati...rong-hardrive/

My suggestion:
Disconnect the cloned hard drive when you're not actually making a clone. Lock the hard drive in a safe place during the intervals.
Use a proper versioned backup system like Time Machine in between.

jeff k Feb 2, 2013 04:38 PM
S, thanks, that wont work because I clone once a day.

Now this does seem to happy after I do my monthly repair of all disc, and then clone to my offsite bank hardrive -- which I just did yesterday. That said I don't get it. That's why I keep posting. but I'm done unless someone figures this out. Why the HECK would the side bar go from my main hard drive all then to a back up hard drive? All 15 folders?

Spheric Harlot Feb 2, 2013 05:12 PM
What happens if you disconnect the external clone?

jeff k Feb 2, 2013 05:31 PM
1) I cannot test the problem because I don't know exactly where/ how it start, just have a vague idea it starts after month maintenance.
2) disconnect idea is moot. You need your clones connected all time to they can clone daily.

Spheric Harlot Feb 2, 2013 05:44 PM
Poppycock.

You need them connected ONCE DAILY.

And you need to disconnect it to ****ING TEST WHETHER NORMAL FUNCTIONALITY RETURNS WHEN YOU DISCONNECT IT.

Please, don't ever post a troubleshooting thread on this forum again if all you ever do is explain to us why you are unable to take even the most rudimentary troubleshooting steps to help diagnose the problem.

This isn't the first time.

jeff k Feb 2, 2013 10:13 PM
S, you provide great help usually, but I don't follow you here.

What should I do step by step?

What do you think is even causing this, and do you think you have a permanent solution?

I cannot be disconnecting the drives every day (although maybe you are not implying that)

Don't let me get under your skin S, I'm just flustered. How can Apple allow this to happen. You know how dangerous it is to do work on a backup drive you may not even be aware is a backup drive till days later, and that gets cloned over each night?

Spheric Harlot Feb 3, 2013 03:06 AM
The first step to finding a permanent solution is usually trying to figure out what the hell is going on.

There are common problems that people here have already troubleshot through testing and common sense and can immediately suggest a working fix for, and there is Jeff K, who will stubbornly resist assistance that isn't an immediate magical fix.

Which disconnecting the clone and only attaching it when you're actually cloning may well turn out to be.

I wish you the best of luck in your future computing life, Jeff. Take care.

P Feb 4, 2013 09:10 AM
No need to make it personal, guys.

Jeff: It isn't really Apple's bug, because you're using a third-party application to do something that confuses the Finder. What happens if you make the shortcuts through one level of indirection? Make a folder with symlinks to all the stuff you want in the sidebar, and then add the symlinks themselves to the sidebar instead of the actual objects.

jeff k Feb 4, 2013 10:37 AM
P, well I've e mailed the issue several times to Dave, the owner of Super Duper, and he has no idea what's going on. And he certianly did not point the finger at SD. Gotta be careful, I've blamed SD for many things over the years in which it was not at fault.

Did not understand 2nd half of your post, but I'm just now using Drag Thing instead. Sad the finder side bar cannot be used anymore.

Ω Feb 5, 2013 04:45 AM
Jeff,

As someone who has helped you in the past the issue that S has is that instead of asking how to do something before you attempt it, you do something and then blame the computer for not doing what you thought it should do. Then when help is proffered the help is not headed and hence the solution is not forthcoming as the person trying to help becomes frustrated and gives up.

If you look at the help threads you are either the unluckiest user I know, or how you think things should work and how they actually work are divergent. Maybe instead of jumping into a solution you think will work it would be better to ask the opinions of users on possible solutions first.

And I use Time Machine which I have no issues with, though never had to do a restore so I am not the person to consult. Before that I used SilverKeeper which came with my Lacie drive. Super Duper always seemed to get good reviews back in the day as well.

Please take this right way, just trying to help.

P Feb 5, 2013 07:27 AM
Jeff: What is happening here is that you are making a perfect, bit-for-bit copy of your disk. You are then asking the operating system to find a specific file, and it finds two - your copy is too perfect. The logic then tries to identify which file you really meant, and somewhere in that logic tree there is something looking at which file was the last accessed. That was your copy, so it decides that that is what you want.

Now, you can fault Apple's logic for not using the path to the file, but I can understand them there. The path to the file can change unexpectedly - most commonly, a drive that is not unmounted correctly will leave an empty directory in /Volumes, which means that the next time it is mounted, all files on it will have a different path. Also, if you ever had to work from the clone, you wouldn't want all your sidebar shortcuts to fail. Your situation is simply one they never considered.

My suggested solution was to use one level of indirection. By using something that finds the file by path - such as a symlink - you should be able to get the file you want. The problem is that the Finder might decide to resolve the symlink when you add it to the sidebar - I don't know, I never tried.

Taking a step back, I have to say that I don't understand your setup. If you want a regular backup, you use Time Machine. If you want something that you can boot from and be back up in a flash, you use a clone. What you're doing is in many ways the worst of both worlds, because you're leaving the clone vulnerable to accidental deletion by not removing it from the OS. Have you ever considered just unmounting it when not using it? Just drag it to the trash, and then mount it again (in Disk Utility) when you want to clone. You could also easily make a Terminal script that mounts it again with a single doubleclick if going in to Disk Utility is too annoying.

jeff k Feb 5, 2013 03:44 PM
thanks Omega,
P, cool I understood about 25% of your post, but what is new is that your seem to get/ understand why this is happening in some sense.

I've been using SD for 7 years or so both on Mac HD, and main Data HD. Great amazing tool. It backs up both once a day. So for the data it's great once in a while if I need a quick look at how something looked yesterday. And it's vital to have in case the hardrive konks out. That's the more important value.

Just started using Time Machine. That's fine for calendar and certain emergency things too.

Anyway, many have said on other fourms that using both is the way to go. I still think that is true.

But you have finally identified why this is happening (even though I only understood 20% ) I get the gist: Apple is getting confused...

But hey, I just wont use the side bar. Case closed. That the scariest thing is that you work on a backup file, thinking its primary file.

I'm just using drag thing instead. Now I've seen drag things also have this same issue! But I think drag thing has it a bit less. But yeah, I really have to check the file path, as a habit more, every time going to drag thing.

But you see, way to cumbersome to unmount every day... and I do think doing clones once a day is crucial for that moment when a hard drive will fail.

Spheric Harlot Feb 5, 2013 04:45 PM
I'm having a hard time understanding how clicking on a script once to mount a drive before a backup and then clicking the eject button to unmount it is MORE cumbersome than spending the whole day, every day, not knowing which versions of folders and documents you're working on, thus permanently risking erasing the current version with the one that's going to be cloned over in the evening.

The clone doesn't provide the safety net you think it does, and the way you have it set up now, you're actively endangering your work, on a daily basis.

Just because you've done something and got away with it for a long time doesn't mean it's a good idea.

jeff k Feb 5, 2013 06:55 PM
S, wont spend day not knowing, I'll just not use the side bar! And I'll get more in the habit of checking the volume origin more often. I'm going to drag thing, but admittedly drag thing sometimes does this too.

What mean? If the primary drive becomes instantly bad (which can happen at any moment), you gotta have a clone ready, no?

Thinking.... this "seems" too happen after I do the monthly repair of all my disk and when I bring my bank clone and clone to that one.
Maybe I'll try the sidebar again, but do as you guys say and unmount the backup drives when it does not need to be in the mix. Of course maybe I can get used to not using the side bar and just use drag thing. but this is helping a bit.

CharlesS Feb 5, 2013 09:41 PM
The Finder sidebar just uses aliases to keep track of its file and folder references. The trouble is, aliases are used all over the system. So, if the aliases in the Finder sidebar are getting confused in this way, the same thing could be happening all over the place, including files which are modified by automatic processes without your necessarily knowing about it.

I'll have to agree with the other posters and suggest that you rethink your backup strategy.

jeff k Feb 6, 2013 12:20 AM
Charles, are you saying don't use Super Duper? Don't clone hardrives?

gradient Feb 6, 2013 01:05 AM
Quote, Originally Posted by jeff k (Post 4215784)
I believe what's being suggested is that you should consider doing something like this:

SuperDuper! scripts redux - All this

...if you want to keep using Super Duper.

Like many here, though, I really don't see the need for clones. If you are worried about being able to get back up and running as quickly as possible, by all means keep a USB drive with a copy of the core OS that can be used as a boot device in the event of a failure, but Time Machine is a much better way of backing up your data.

Spheric Harlot Feb 6, 2013 04:52 AM
Quote, Originally Posted by jeff k (Post 4215784)
Don't keep the cloned disk connected while you're not actually cloning it.

You're telling me it's not a problem; you'll just not use the sidebar. In the same breath, you tell us that Drag Thing does the same thing, except only sometimes. Charles is telling you that all sorts of other things will have the same problem, without you even noticing.

P Feb 6, 2013 05:43 AM
The fundamental problem with your setup is that your backup is writable the entire time. You have found one area where this might happen accidentally, and you're trying to fix that particular problem, but the root cause is still there as long as the backup is writable. At any time, you could have a software error that starts stomping all over your backup, and you'd never know until after it's done.

Some googling shows that Super Duper actually supports mounting and unmounting automatically. If you make a scheduled task, you can (in the Advanced Options pane) tell it to unmount the backup drive when done. When next the task is due, Super Duper will remount the drive, do the backup and unmount it.

jeff k Feb 6, 2013 11:32 AM
Thanks G, S, and P.
Well this is great info. Drag thing has had this issue, but not last month, so I "think' it's more stable. I'll use it, but just keep 4-5 sidebar folders and really slowly keep an eye out what happens when I do my monthly maintenance. What is causing this?

Now, I clone, not just the Mac HD but my main big Data drive. I thought all power users have cloned backups in case of drive failure no?

P - you bring up something interesting. Is it possible to tell the clone disk to be non writable, unless I manually unlock it to write? That would solve the issue in that if I started accidentally writing to a clone drive I would quickly discover it's the clone.

You mention an mounting/ unmounting option. Never heard of that. That would essentially be the same solution, correct? I don't know how to set that up, but I could contact SD/ Dave about it.. he is fantastic with support, but strangely never presented anything to me except, "I have no idea" — on all this, and I've emailed him several times over that last few years about this.

G - did not understand that article about on SD and scripts, what is the gist of all that? SD can get so deep if you want. I just do direct copy.

besson3c Feb 6, 2013 01:09 PM
Jeff, read P's last post, it summarizes everything there.

Spheric Harlot Feb 6, 2013 01:40 PM
Quote, Originally Posted by jeff k (Post 4215850)
Thanks G, S, and P.
Well this is great info. Drag thing has had this issue, but not last month, so I "think' it's more stable. I'll use it, but just keep 4-5 sidebar folders and really slowly keep an eye out what happens when I do my monthly maintenance. What is causing this?
What is causing this is the fact that you insist on keeping two identical drives active on the system at all times, rather than just unmounting/disconnecting one.

Having two identical copies of everything is confusing the system, and it passes this confusion on to you.

Now, I clone, not just the Mac HD but my main big Data drive. I thought all power users have cloned backups in case of drive failure no?
No. We all have backups, but clones are only useful when you absolutely MUST have a fully running system IMMEDIATELY (like, say, if you're in production and the computer running the show breaks down, but you've got a show to run in 30 minutes for 14,000 paying audience. Then you MUST have a running system immediately. Or if you're in a studio, and the main drive breaks down in front of a client who's paying $200 an hour. Any technical issue that takes longer than a quick break for coffee is going to majorly piss off the client.).

But every one of those users has a real backup IN ADDITION to the clone. Cloning is a TERRIBLE backup strategy for your data, because if your drive starts dying, it will often begin damaging data before you notice. If you clone it, you have a copy of defective data, which is completely useless.

P - you bring up something interesting. Is it possible to tell the clone disk to be non writable, unless I manually unlock it to write?
It's a lot more effort and complexity than just ejecting (unmounting) the damn thing, or disconnecting it. Forget that path.

You mention an mounting/ unmounting option. Never heard of that. That would essentially be the same solution, correct? I don't know how to set that up
I just did some research, and apparently, you need to do exactly NOTHING to set that up, if you have a cloning schedule.

So, if you already have SuperDuper setup to automatically make a complete clone every night at 7 p.m., just eject the drive (using the eject button in the Finder, or dragging it to the Trash).
As long as the drive is connected, SuperDuper will automatically find it, mount it, clone to it, and then eject it again, with zero interaction from you.

Problem solved.

jeff k Feb 6, 2013 09:19 PM
ok S
just set to eject, let's test that out for a few days... good info. Again, I wrote owner of SD several times and said he had no idea about this issue. Hopefully we are onto something here.

turtle777 Feb 7, 2013 12:03 AM
ROTFLMAO.

That's all.

-t

P Feb 7, 2013 04:48 AM
P - you bring up something interesting. Is it possible to tell the clone disk to be non writable, unless I manually unlock it to write? That would solve the issue in that if I started accidentally writing to a clone drive I would quickly discover it's the clone.
For completeness, although you should really just unmount it completely: Yes, you can do that - it's the same mount command. Off the top of my head, you'd type

sudo mount -fru /Volumes/Volume_name

to make something readonly, and then

sudo mount -wu /Volumes/Volume_name

to make it writable.

Unmounting it completely is far superior to just making it readonly - that way, no program can even mistake which file it is supposed to be working on - and anyway it is easier and less confusing to do.

Spheric Harlot Feb 7, 2013 05:11 AM
when I do my monthly maintenance.
Not to open another can of worms, but what does this mean?

jeff k Feb 7, 2013 10:05 AM
S, once a month I do cocktail etc. and I also back up a hardrive I keep at the bank. That's when this issue seems to happen after that. I also repair all the hardrives.

JUst tested this and SD was not able to find the Hardrives once unmounted.

Hence, if I have to manually mount each day, not worth it (I don't think), sending an email to SD now.

P Feb 7, 2013 10:17 AM
Quote, Originally Posted by jeff k (Post 4216105)

Hence, if I have to manually mount each day, not worth it (I don't think), sending an email to SD now.
You could make a script to mount automatically before starting the backup.

turtle777 Feb 7, 2013 10:47 AM
Quote, Originally Posted by P (Post 4216109)
You could make a script to mount automatically before starting the backup.
Seriously ?

You really think jeff k could just "make a script" ?

You're killing me.

-t

besson3c Feb 7, 2013 11:56 AM
S, once a month I do cocktail etc. and I also back up a hardrive I keep at the bank. That's when this issue seems to happen after that. I also repair all the hardrives.

Running cocktail and repairing permissions is a waste of your time.

jeff k Feb 7, 2013 12:56 PM
Besson, I do the cocktail pilot, scripts etc, waste of time? why, don't bother with Cocktail?

this just in from Dave at SD:

"I've got multiple copies attached to my Mac and it works fine. But, under Mountain Lion - if that's what you're using - we can't automount volumes due to new "security restrictions" we're trying to work around."

----
So, I'll lay off side bar for now, be vigilant, and this thread has helped a lot. thanks.

besson3c Feb 7, 2013 01:04 PM
Quote, Originally Posted by jeff k (Post 4216157)
Besson, I do the cocktail pilot, scripts etc, waste of time? why, don't bother with Cocktail?

Because it doesn't do anything. Computers are not cars that require such "maintenance".

andi*pandi Feb 7, 2013 03:02 PM
You're saying repairing permissions and running disk utility isn't helpful? Really?

P Feb 7, 2013 03:08 PM
Quote, Originally Posted by turtle777 (Post 4216119)
Seriously ?

You really think jeff k could just "make a script" ?

You're killing me.

-t
See the link gradient posted - there is a ready-made script there that does just that.

besson3c Feb 7, 2013 03:09 PM
Quote, Originally Posted by andi*pandi (Post 4216187)
You're saying repairing permissions and running disk utility isn't helpful? Really?

Yes. Repairing permissions helps with very particular, rare issues affecting installs and accessing files, but there is no point in just randomly running it hoping for some performance boost or something.

Spheric Harlot Feb 7, 2013 03:18 PM
Quote, Originally Posted by jeff k (Post 4216157)

this just in from Dave at SD:

"I've got multiple copies attached to my Mac and it works fine. But, under Mountain Lion - if that's what you're using - we can't automount volumes due to new "security restrictions" we're trying to work around."

----
So, I'll lay off side bar for now, be vigilant, and this thread has helped a lot. thanks.
This thread has been worth it just for uncovering that bit of info.

P Feb 7, 2013 03:19 PM
Quote, Originally Posted by andi*pandi (Post 4216187)
Repairing permissions is an anachronism from the early days of OS X. Early installers tended to mess them up so they had to be reset. It's not really an issue any more, and the OS is much more resistant to it than it used to be - base admin accounts don't have the permissions it used, and the OS tends to stop booting completely if the permissions have been altered too far.

Checking the HD structures doesn't hurt in the same way, but is less useful than it used to be. Journaling file systems remove much of the potential for damage from system crashes, and anyway the OS will always check disk structures after a crash.

Basically, they're both things that take time and don't do a lot of good unless you're having problems. Ime, they're done because of a feeling that "it can't hurt". If you want to do preventative maintenance on a Mac, make sure your backups work and rotate as required.

besson3c Feb 7, 2013 03:23 PM
Plus, doing a disk repair on the file system you are booted into won't be able to repair anything. The name is a bit misleading to some too, because with no data integrity in the file system itself you aren't repairing damaged files, just structural information to the file system.

andi*pandi Feb 7, 2013 03:41 PM
Doing it monthly may not be a good use of time, but I recently was having troubles and disk utility found tons of bad permissions etc. You have to boot into the repair partition that 10.7 creates.

besson3c Feb 7, 2013 03:46 PM
Quote, Originally Posted by andi*pandi (Post 4216204)
Doing it monthly may not be a good use of time, but I recently was having troubles and disk utility found tons of bad permissions etc. You have to boot into the repair partition that 10.7 creates.
The key part of this is that you were having troubles. What I feel is a waste of time is running something randomly when everything is working normally just because you feel this is akin to getting your oil changed in your car.

Spheric Harlot Feb 7, 2013 05:26 PM
The best part is always when people tell me that they regularly empty their caches using OnyX or some such tool.

Why am I the first to tell them that they're SLOWING DOWN THEIR COMPUTER?
Caches exist for a reason. Leave them alone unless you're seeing problems.

In fact, leave everything the hell alone unless you're seeing problems.

P Feb 8, 2013 07:14 AM
Quote, Originally Posted by Spheric Harlot (Post 4216224)
In fact, leave everything the hell alone unless you're seeing problems.
This.

steve626 Feb 9, 2013 10:08 PM
Well, I think you just identified a likely cause of your problem, since it only happens after "I do cocktail etc." Why don't you skip your cocktail and "etc." and see if the issue goes away? I don't know what options you are selecting in these maintenance procedures but you might be clearing caches and other things that force the computer to re-establish the links that allow it to tell what the sidebar points to? And it can't tell the difference between the clone and the source?

I am convinced that something in your unnecessary "maintenance" procedures and/or something else in your setup is causing this problem. I have used SD for years and have never seen this "sidebar confusion." I have never seen it reported on the lively SD Discussions either. I am suspecting it has to do with your setup, version of cocktail, the "etc" procedures you alluded to, and so forth. How have you named the clone drives you are cloning to? Hopefully with a name different from the source disk? Do you have any other links you have created yourself?

I used to leave my clones connected all the time (for convenience) and never experienced the symptoms you report. So your efforts should be focused on uncovering the unique thing you are doing that is causing this.

By the way, leaving the clone mounted all the time is poor practice. A power failure or surge could damage both the source and clone drives leaving you with neither in working order. Best to unmount and actually disconnect the cone drive(s) when they aren't cloning.

jeff k Feb 9, 2013 10:56 PM
great post everyone.
wow..
Steve: but what huge hassle. I guess I could get into this habit. Pity, as you see Dave at SD says SD cannot automate this.
So my clones are set to clone at 6am. This is a good time as I'm sleeping. So you suggest I then in the morning at some point manually eject (365 day a year manually?)
or do the opposite each day — Have SD unmount, which I think it does, and then mount just he primary drivez every single day as I wake up? But then I have to manually remember every single day to then mount the clones drives. I guess I could set that time then to 1am.

For maintenance: I do every month the cocktail pilot:
http://img805.imageshack.us/img805/6...30209at750.jpg

Don't bother? would be one less thing to do. what about those weekly scripts?

I have read on forum that caches can really bloat, especially the browser, no?

P - I click insert image, so nice you have that, but then says insert url instead of browse to find the image and then upload. I think there is a very convoluted workaround, but now forgot it.

Spheric Harlot Feb 10, 2013 02:40 AM
Those daily, monthly, and weekly scripts are called "daily", "monthly", and "weekly" because they are run AUTOMATICALLY by the system in daily, monthly, and weekly intervals.

Ten years ago, it made sense to run them manually, because they wouldn't execute if the machine was off or sleeping when they were timed to run. This hasn't been the case since AT LEAST OSX 10.4, seven or eight years ago.
These scripts are now run the next chance they get once the machine is turned back on.

Running them from Cocktail or OnyX or whatever is a complete waste of time.

Caches get big. Their job is to make your computer faster, as this is where the system stores things it has loaded or calculated and will keep requiring over and over. Deleting caches means that your computer has to regenerate them by re-loading stuff, re-calculating stuff it has already done, which SLOWS DOWN YOUR MACHINE and serves exactly ZERO purpose.

There are extremely rare cases where caches can become corrupted, resulting in the system pulling up bad data every time it accesses them. In those cases, it can make sense to delete the caches, forcing the system to rebuild them.

Cleaning up log files is one of the things the daily, weekly, and monthly scripts take care of. Deleting them is like letting your office file away all the receipts and bookkeeping, and then going in and throwing all those folders out the window. It's not going to do any immediate harm, but if there's any trouble later on, you've robbed yourself of a paper trail that is useful in figuring out what was going on.

I'm going to repeat:

Leave everything the hell alone unless you're seeing problems.

I really don't know how to make it any clearer than that without being insulting.

jeff k Feb 10, 2013 02:53 PM
S, hmmm, so stop using the pilot? I'm ok with that. Others agree?

Have to say, on those rare cases, I would not know the cache was corrupted.

besson3c Feb 10, 2013 05:47 PM
Jeff, who or what told you to run Cocktail in the first place?

jeff k Feb 10, 2013 10:44 PM
B, I'm sure at some point years ago, someone on a thread suggested it.

P Feb 11, 2013 04:00 AM
The point about running the maintenance scripts manually was that they are usually run by the program cron during the night. This was because UNIX server generally run 24/7, so the computer would be up an running with nothing to do. Macs usually don't run 24/7, however - they sleep at night. Older versions of the Mac OS X would then just skip running the scripts if the Mac was sleeping during that time. This was a real problem, first discovered back in 10.0. I myself was involved in a program that ran these scripts manually - it was a real need.

With 10.4, Apple finally fixed this. The ancient crond program was replaced, along with many others, by launchd. Launchd solves this problem along with many others - scripts are run as expected. You no longer need to bother with running maintenance scripts manually. This bit of news unfortunately got sort of lost - first everyone's attention was focused on Spotlight, and then on the upcoming Intel switch - and the remnants of cron that Apple left in for compatibility reasons made some users think that cron was still around and needed the usual handholding.

Quote, Originally Posted by jeff k (Post 4216569)
P - I click insert image, so nice you have that, but then says insert url instead of browse to find the image and then upload. I think there is a very convoluted workaround, but now forgot it.
That's part of the forum setup. Regular users don't have permissions to upload images. I think we discussed changing that.