MacNN Forums (
-   Mac OS X (
-   -   Changing language (Spanish to English) (

jretzner Feb 16, 2013 12:35 AM
Changing language (Spanish to English)
My Mac Book Air (OS 10.5) came back to me from a friend with all of the System banners and labels in Spanish. How do I get them back to English?
Spheric Harlot Feb 16, 2013 03:40 AM
Apple menu --> system preferences (Spanish equivalent) --> international (the blue flag icon)

The new language will apply to any application you launch after that. You'll need to log out to get the whole system running in English.
angelmb Feb 16, 2013 04:00 AM
System Preferences = Preferencias del Sistema
International = Internacional

Language & Text = Idioma y texto (for 10.6 and later)

balls = cojones !!
jretzner Feb 16, 2013 11:16 PM
One more part of it: after getting International Languages, DRAG the language you want to the top, and then restart.
angelmb Feb 17, 2013 03:16 AM
Sure you need to restart.? Usually, as soon as you drag your favorite language to the top, the next app you fire up should already reflect this change. So you might be running e.g. Mail in spanish and Safari in english concurrently.

For the Mac OS X to get running in the new language, a log out-log in, as S.H. pointed out, is in order.

Sure, you could restart (Force Quit) the Finder (command-option-esc), so you get the new language set without having to log out or restart the Mac, but that would only work for the Finder. Any other app, you should close it and open it again.
reader50 Feb 17, 2013 03:51 AM
Try just the log-out / log-in. Then pull a USB flashdrive without unmounting it first.

"Por favor idiota primera unidad desmontar."

Assorted background deamons would still be in EspaƱol until a reboot.
angelmb Feb 17, 2013 06:06 AM
^^ A perfect balance between being funny and instructive.