MacNN Forums (
-   Mac OS X (
-   -   log to check what is taking my Mac down? (

chasg Nov 6, 2013 06:36 PM
log to check what is taking my Mac down?
Hi All,

For the past week, I've been coming back to my Mac (Mac Pro running Mountain Lion) to find that it's crashed. Unusual, as it's usually up and running 24/7, flawlessly, for quite a long time now (the new machines can't come quickly enough...).

I've checked all the drives, everything seems good, the OS is up to date. Not sure how to run diagnostics on any of the other hardware.

I can't remember which logs to check to see what may have taken the machine down, can anyone point me to the right place to check? (Crashreporter in Console would seem to me to be the right place, but it's empty).

Anything else I might have missed that would be good to check?

Thanks in advance for any advice.

Spheric Harlot Nov 6, 2013 06:48 PM
If you look at the regular system log, you should be able to find some hints.
chasg Nov 6, 2013 07:12 PM
Thanks for that. I can't interpret what I've seen, does this mean anything to you? (last few entries before I rebooted several hours later):

Nov 6 19:16:46 G8 kernel[0]: jnl: disk11s2: close: journal 0xffffff802f2a9330, is invalid. aborting outstanding transactions
Nov 6 19:16:46 G8 kernel[0]: jnl: disk9s2: close: journal 0xffffff802f2a9000, is invalid. aborting outstanding transactions
Nov 6 19:16:51 G8.local mDNSResponder[58]: ActivateLocalProxy: No service for interface utun0

It all looks bad to me, just don't know what it means :-)

Cheers, and thanks again for the pointer.

Spheric Harlot Nov 6, 2013 07:22 PM
Go back a little bit further.

That looks like trouble with the disk journaling, but it's on two separate drives.

See if you can find out what it's trying to do just before it discovers that the journals are weird.
chasg Nov 6, 2013 07:31 PM
Ah, thanks for that. Zillions of entries, but lots of "fail" and "error writing the journal header" and "media not present" with reference to disks. I'm not close to familiar enough with the notation and references to be able to gain any insights.

As it's a disk based issue, I'm going to dismount a bunch (I've got a 5-disk jbod box mounted via esata, as well as 6 internal disks) and see what happens.

A Unix Sherlock I ain't, so it'll be the ole "stumble around" technique, but it's a start, and I appreciate the help.