MacNN Forums (http://forums.macnn.com/)
-   MacNN Lounge (http://forums.macnn.com/macnn-lounge/)
-   -   Get me a xerox of that stat. (http://forums.macnn.com/89/macnn-lounge/212757/get-me-a-xerox-of-stat/)

 
sixz May 12, 2004 08:08 AM
Get me a xerox of that stat.
http://www.meandmybadself.com/xerox/
While the cats away the mouse will play with the xerox machine...
 
Gankdawg May 12, 2004 09:48 AM
Why does it scroll sideways instead of down? Some sort of artistic license?
 
mdc May 12, 2004 09:51 AM
i like the giant hand one. very cool images.
 
sixz May 12, 2004 10:09 AM
Quote
Originally posted by Gankdawg:
Why does it scroll sideways instead of down? Some sort of artistic license?

How would you get the same effect of seeing a 360 panorama any other way.
I take it you don't visit a lot of 'think different' style of sites... tis a pity.
 
Zimphire May 12, 2004 10:57 AM
Hey, I think I saw the "Tall Guy" from the Phantasm movies in that gallery.
 
Gankdawg May 12, 2004 11:55 AM
Quote
Originally posted by sixz:
How would you get the same effect of seeing a 360 panorama any other way.
I take it you don't visit a lot of 'think different' style of sites... tis a pity.
I didn't see it as a 360 panorama....I saw it as a series of disjointed images.......made on a frickin' copy machine. Yeah, that's art. :stick:
 
Zimphire May 12, 2004 12:36 PM
Quote
Originally posted by Gankdawg:
I didn't see it as a 360 panorama....I saw it as a series of disjointed images.......made on a frickin' copy machine. Yeah, that's art. :stick:
It's pretentious art. ;)
 
Gankdawg May 12, 2004 01:30 PM
Quote
Originally posted by Zimphire:
It's pretentious art. ;)
lawl! :D
 
sixz May 12, 2004 02:49 PM
http://kappachapter.org/~kevinh/photos/redneck.jpg

Like you guys, kevin doesn't like it either... do you kevin.
 
Gankdawg May 12, 2004 04:19 PM
Quote
Originally posted by sixz:
http://kappachapter.org/~kevinh/photos/redneck.jpg

Like you guys, kevin doesn't like it either... do you kevin.
I'm a little above PBR.....I prefer MGD. ;)
 
Yose May 12, 2004 04:27 PM
Cool site.. i like the one with zooming in on the eyes face.. nice transitions.

I'm sort of inspired... enough to do something about it?.... I dunno.
 
Ryan Becker May 12, 2004 04:30 PM
Quote
Originally posted by sixz:
Like you guys, kevin doesn't like it either... do you kevin.
I work with a lot of "artists" and let me tell you, most of them are about as smart as Kevin looks.

-Ryan
 
Zimphire May 12, 2004 04:47 PM
Quote
Originally posted by Ryan Becker:
I work with a lot of "artists" and let me tell you, most of them are about as smart as Kevin looks.

-Ryan
Yes, it took no genius to make the above web page.

I am not saying it's CRAP, it's just not "art" to me. It comes off as pretentious.
 
Ryan Becker May 12, 2004 05:03 PM
Quote
Originally posted by Zimphire:
It comes off as pretentious.
I think most "art," with the exception of music, is pretentious.

-Ryan
 
Zimphire May 12, 2004 05:20 PM
Naw, some is very honest.
 
Ryan Becker May 12, 2004 05:57 PM
Quote
Originally posted by Zimphire:
Naw, some is very honest.
Yeah, some....

I said "most" which leaves "some" :)

And, artists often make comments like: "Like you guys, kevin doesn't like it either... do you kevin." and think that anyone that doesn't like art must be some dirty fat loser.

-Ryan
 
Zimphire May 12, 2004 06:01 PM
Quote
Originally posted by Ryan Becker:
YAnd, artists often make comments like: "Like you guys, kevin doesn't like it either... do you kevin." and think that anyone that doesn't like art must be some dirty fat loser.

-Ryan
Yes, that is pretentious. I agree.

The "I am more cool than you because I like this art" attitude.
 
philzilla May 12, 2004 06:02 PM
Quote
Originally posted by Ryan Becker:
Yeah, some....

I said "most" which leaves "some" :)

And, artists often make comments like: "Like you guys, kevin doesn't like it either... do you kevin." and think that anyone that doesn't like art must be some dirty fat loser.

-Ryan
didn't take you long to get into the swing of things, did it :)
 
sixz May 12, 2004 07:42 PM
Quote
Originally posted by Ryan Becker:
Yeah, some....

I said "most" which leaves "some" :)

And, artists often make comments like: "Like you guys, kevin doesn't like it either... do you kevin." and think that anyone that doesn't like art must be some dirty fat loser.

-Ryan

I never said it was Art, If man can stop for a second from
either wanking or trying to destroy stuff and actually make
something -that is not pretentious, that is man-kind at it's
very best, when man becomes something truly unique.
Pretentious is man believing in it's own artificial religions
and benevolent backwards dogs.

If you don't like the art of making stuff - music, painting or
even hypothetical concepts then you are not just a dirty fat
loser, you are just an animal.
 
threestain May 12, 2004 08:00 PM
Just because you don't get it doesn't mean its pretentious. Like many modern art installations its just created for you to see if you think its art, to try and make you think. If you don't like it then well nevermind. If you do then great. Like music everyone has their own personal taste. Call it twaddle if you like, but some people might like it. I must say that I find some of the images pretty interesting, but some are not really to my taste.

Just look at them and say whether or not you like them. But don't call people pretentious if they like them or create them.
 
Gankdawg May 12, 2004 08:41 PM
Quote
Originally posted by sixz:
If man can stop for a second from either wanking or trying to destroy stuff and actually make something
Again, these are pictures that were copied on a friggin' copy machine. Not an art expert am I, but I can push the big green button and use scotch tape & scissors pretty well.
 
DeathToWindows May 12, 2004 09:10 PM
hey, I think it works as a semi-coherent object. so cram it.
 
Zimphire May 12, 2004 10:18 PM
Quote
Originally posted by sixz:
Pretentious is man believing in it's own artificial religions
and benevolent backwards dogs.
sixz again showing he doesn't understand religion.

http://webpages.charter.net/zimphire.../diothumbs.png
 
Mastrap May 13, 2004 01:53 AM
Re: Get me a xerox of that stat.
Quote
Originally posted by sixz:
http://www.meandmybadself.com/xerox/
While the cats away the mouse will play with the xerox machine...
Excellent and very funny.

For the under six crowd: Just because you are able recreate a piece of art doesn't mean that it means the same.
I can fake a piece of original art pretty well if I put my mind to it. But that's just craft, not art. Art always carries within it a motivation which is more than the execution. If you don't grasp that very simple premise you shouldn't be commenting on any art in the first place.

Kevin: Stop calling people pretentious It's rude.
 
Socially Awkward Solo May 13, 2004 01:59 AM
Wow, very well done! :thumbsup:
 
MindFad May 13, 2004 02:06 AM
Cool. I dug it. :thumbsup:
 
Zimphire May 13, 2004 02:11 AM
Re: Re: Get me a xerox of that stat.
Quote
Originally posted by Mastrap:
Excellent and very funny.
I agree, but I wouldn't call it "art" IMHO
Quote

For the under six crowd: Just because you are able recreate a piece of art doesn't mean that it means the same.

See, here is were the pretension comes in. "Since you don't agree with me about what is art, you are under six"
Quote

Kevin: Stop calling people pretentious It's rude.
I never called anyone pretentious. I called what they said pretentious. And it was. Others agreed as well.

And six was ruder than I ever was.With his belittling of anyone that disagreed.
I just offered my opinion. Like others have. I am sorry if you take offense to my opinion

But when someone has an opinion, and you somehow belittle it because it doesn't match your opinion that you have on a high pedestal, it is indeed pretentious.

Don't agree? That's ok too. I wont say you are "under six" for having an opinion that differs from mine. I promise.

That would be pretentious.
 
Spheric Harlot May 13, 2004 06:49 AM
Quote
Originally posted by Gankdawg:
Again, these are pictures that were copied on a friggin' copy machine. Not an art expert am I, but I can push the big green button and use scotch tape & scissors pretty well.
The key difference is that you didn't.

On a certain level, that applies to every single piece of art on the planet - there is just about no art that could not have been done by somebody else. It's not about skill level required to REproduce an artwork.

-s*
 
chris v May 13, 2004 07:34 AM
Quote
Originally posted by sixz:
I never said it was Art, If man can stop for a second from
either wanking or trying to destroy stuff and actually make
something -that is not pretentious, that is man-kind at it's
very best, when man becomes something truly unique.
Pretentious is man believing in it's own artificial religions
and benevolent backwards dogs.

If you don't like the art of making stuff - music, painting or
even hypothetical concepts then you are not just a dirty fat
loser, you are just an animal.
Lay off the return key, and one day, you might make something of yourself.

CV
 
Mastrap May 13, 2004 08:05 AM
Re: Re: Re: Get me a xerox of that stat.
Quote
Originally posted by Zimphire:

And six was ruder than I ever was.With his belittling of anyone that disagreed.
I just offered my opinion.

But when someone has an opinion, and you somehow belittle it because it doesn't match your opinion that you have on a high pedestal, it is indeed pretentious.
No Kevin.

The 'under six' judgement was indeed justified because the comment offered (it can't be art because I can use a copier) was neither informed nor mature. Thus, under six.

It has nothing to do with my opinions but simply with the accepted definition of what is art. I don't hold it against people when they don't know much about art. But revelling in that ignorance is quite another thing.

What you personally think is art or isn't art doesn't matter one single bit - the only person who can make that judgement, honestly and with meaning, is the artist. Art is intention. Everything else is just a matter of taste, and taste is arbitrary.
 
Xeo May 13, 2004 08:15 AM
Re: Re: Re: Get me a xerox of that stat.
Quote
Originally posted by Zimphire:
See, here is were the pretension comes in. "Since you don't agree with me about what is art, you are under six"
No, I think the word you want is arrogant.

Quote
I never called anyone pretentious. I called what they said pretentious. And it was. Others agreed as well.
You may not have called the people pretentious, but you first called the art pretentious. And it may very come across as that to you. A lot of art could fit that description if someone doesn't like it.

Just because a copy machine was used doesn't make it less of an art piece. How hard is it to click the button of a camera? OK, so there's more to a camera than the button, but learning all the skills associated with photography is trivial compared to actually doing the work. The operation of the camera and development of the photos is all done the same way. It's seeing the picture and choosing how you want it to come out that's only in the artist's head.

I really liked some and others I didn't.
 
dav May 13, 2004 08:44 AM
i don't find it pretentious it all. very nice, thanks for the link.
:thumbsup:
 
Zimphire May 13, 2004 09:02 AM
Re: Re: Re: Re: Get me a xerox of that stat.
Quote
Originally posted by Mastrap:
No Kevin.

The 'under six' judgement was indeed justified because the comment offered (it can't be art because I can use a copier) was neither informed nor mature. Thus, under six.

You can say it was justified. But I call it pretentious. But that is the opinion of Gankdawg. (Who said it) not mine.
Quote

It has nothing to do with my opinions but simply with the accepted definition of what is art. I don't hold it against people when they don't know much about art. But revelling in that ignorance is quite another thing.

Oh, I know about Art. You don't know my background. What you are saying is "Because your opinion doesn't match mine, you MUST not know about Art. Because I DO, and my opinion differs. So you must be ignorant" Do you not realize how absurd that is? Do you know what an opinion is?
Quote

What you personally think is art or isn't art doesn't matter one single bit - the only person who can make that judgement, honestly and with meaning, is the artist. Art is intention. Everything else is just a matter of taste, and taste is arbitrary.
It's called an opinion. Everyone has one. You cannot say "Oh because MY opinion is so much BETTER than yours, you must be a preschooler" And then get upset when people call that pretentious.

Because that is what it is.

I liked the page. I though it was neat. But to me, that isn't what art means.

And that is my opinion. Don't agree? Cool. That's YOUR opinion.
 
Zimphire May 13, 2004 09:08 AM
Re: Re: Re: Re: Get me a xerox of that stat.
Quote
Originally posted by Xeo:
No, I think the word you want is arrogant.

No, I think I choose my words correctly. Someone thinking their opinion in better because they feel they have a higher "ideal" of art than another person. Esp when they have no idea what the other person know about art. Falsely propping up their own "Art coolness"

preĚtenĚtious __ _P___Pronunciation Key__(pr-tnshs)
adj.
Claiming or demanding a position of distinction or merit, especially when unjustified.


So yes, it's of my opinion that I used the word correctly.
Quote

You may not have called the people pretentious, but you first called the art pretentious.

I believe it was. You know, I wasn't the ONLY person to say it either. There is nothing wrong with giving an opinion about Art.
Quote

And it may very come across as that to you. A lot of art could fit that description if someone doesn't like it.

Oh, I think it's neat. But I feel that to call it "art" is a bit pretentious. AKA giving it a status it doesn't deserve. And that is my opinion. People post these things. Then get OUTRAGED when someone has a different opinion about it other than their own. Then call them names because they don't feel their "Art awareness" is as "High up" as theirs. And that indeed is pretentious.
 
Zimphire May 13, 2004 09:10 AM
Quote
Originally posted by dav:
i don't find it pretentious it all. very nice, thanks for the link.
:thumbsup:
Cool, and guess what. I respect your opinion. I wouldn't make fun of you for it either. :thumbsup:
 
dav May 13, 2004 09:27 AM
Quote
Originally posted by Zimphire:
Cool, and guess what. I respect your opinion. I wouldn't make fun of you for it either. :thumbsup:
:)

i am curious as to your definition of art.

here's my working def: art is the intention of an individual expressed through a communicable medium
 
Zimphire May 13, 2004 09:34 AM
Quote
Originally posted by dav:
:)

i am curious as to your definition of art.

here's my working def: art is the intention of an individual expressed through a communicable medium
To me there is two different types of art.

There is the construction paper bunnies that we make in grade school. Then there is the 16th Chapel.

One is "art". One is the "art" of inspiration.

I don't expect anyone else to follow along with that way of thinking about Art. It is my own. I am a individual.

It is what makes the world go round.

What is on that page isn't what I see as "art" of inspiration

Not because it was made on a copier. But because it doesn't inspire me.

We are all inspired by different things. And that is where opinion comes in. That is where one mans painting is art, while another man sees it as Sunday trash.

Beauty is truly in the eye of the beholder.
 
dav May 13, 2004 09:55 AM
Quote
Originally posted by Zimphire:
To me there is two different types of art.

There is the construction paper bunnies that we make in grade school. Then there is the 16th Chapel.

One is "art". One is the "art" of inspiration.

I don't expect anyone else to follow along with that way of thinking about Art. It is my own. I am a individual.

It is what makes the world go round.

What is on that page isn't what I see as "art" of inspiration

Not because it was made on a copier. But because it doesn't inspire me.

We are all inspired by different things. And that is where opinion comes in. That is where one mans painting is art, while another man sees it as Sunday trash.

Beauty is truly in the eye of the beholder.
ok, but to me, this is classifying art, not determining whether something is or isn't art (defining). so are you saying the above work is art, only in your opinion not inspired (or not very good)?

my interest isn't so much in your opinion of quality of art, but in your determination of what is art.
 
Zimphire May 13, 2004 10:23 AM
Quote
Originally posted by dav:
ok, but to me, this is classifying art, not determining whether something is or isn't art (defining). so are you saying the above work is art, only in your opinion not inspired (or not very good)?

my interest isn't so much in your opinion of quality of art, but in your determination of what is art.
I never said it wasn't art. I said to me it's not "art"

Quote
Originally posted by Zimphire:
It's pretentious art.
Quote
Originally posted by Zimphire:
I am not saying it's CRAP, it's just not "art" to me. It comes off as pretentious.
(notice the quotations)

There is a difference to me.
 
philzilla May 13, 2004 10:33 AM
i wish moderators would add a [ZIM] tag to these thread titles, so that people who don't want to run into yet another zimphest can ignore them. it really is pathetic how one person constantly takes-over threads like this.
 
Zimphire May 13, 2004 10:38 AM
Quote
Originally posted by philzilla:
i wish moderators would add a [ZIM] tag to these thread titles, so that people who don't want to run into yet another zimphest can ignore them. it really is pathetic how one person constantly takes-over threads like this.
Phil, so me giving an opinion is me taking over the thread? No, no it's not.

Notice Phil, other people gave the same opinion as I. But weren't "attacked" because of it.

What is pathetic is, I can't post in a thread, without some hateful comment being made about my post just because someone doesn't like me. It's usually the SAME few people that are always doing it. Then they crybaby about me taking over the thread. It's an old, old, old tactic.

And tell me Phil, do you think your post helped anything? Was your post needed? Or was it too just another hateful post because you don't like me? THAT is what causes threads to derail. Not me giving my opinion.

Sorry, that top doesn't spin here.
 
Zimphire May 13, 2004 10:43 AM
Quote
Originally posted by sixz:
I never said it was Art
BTW if anyone noticed, the original posted of said thread never said it was art.

Let the attacks begin.
 
dav May 13, 2004 10:45 AM
Quote
Originally posted by Zimphire:
I never said it wasn't art. I said to me it's not "art"
so we both agree the work above is art.
 
dav May 13, 2004 10:48 AM
Quote
Originally posted by Zimphire:
Let the attacks begin.
i'm not trying to attack you, this just interests me. since you said you know art, i was interested in your definition and offered mine.

your opinion of art is something completely different.
 
Zimphire May 13, 2004 10:49 AM
Quote
Originally posted by dav:
so we both agree the work above is art.
Yes, yes indeed.

If I take a piece of paper, and splatter paint all over it, that is art too.

The sound of windshield wipers moving back and fourth in a specific rhythm can be an art of sound.

What I am saying is, that sound isn't very inspiring to me.

That is all.
 
Zimphire May 13, 2004 10:50 AM
Quote
Originally posted by dav:
i'm not trying to attack you, this just interests me.

You are correct. You are not. You are being a gentleman. I appreciate that. :thumbsup:
 
dav May 13, 2004 10:55 AM
Quote
Originally posted by Zimphire:
Yes, yes indeed.

If I take a piece of paper, and splatter paint all over it, that is art too.

The sound of windshield wipers moving back and fourth in a specific rhythm can be an art of sound.

What I am saying is, that sound isn't very inspiring to me.

That is all.
ok, but i would say not just the act of splattering paint on paper makes art, but the intent to make art with the paint and paper and the purpose of splattering. and i would hope you could explain your intent in doing so (that to me would help me qualify the quality of your art and form my opinion).
 
dav May 13, 2004 11:08 AM
here's a thought.

cats painting

is this art? does the cat have the intent to create art?
 
Mastrap May 13, 2004 01:45 PM
Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Get me a xerox of that stat.
Quote
Originally posted by Zimphire:

It's called an opinion. Everyone has one. You cannot say "Oh because MY opinion is so much BETTER than yours, you must be a preschooler" And then get upset when people call that pretentious.

Because that is what it is.

Kevin:

1. I am not upset. You're the one honking and hissing in this thread, not me.

2. Yes, I can, and I do, say that my opinion counts more than yours in this instance. Because I know what I am talking about and you clearly don't. Go away, study for a couple of years, come back when you've got a clue.
 
Ryan Becker May 13, 2004 02:17 PM
Quote
Originally posted by dav:
here's a thought.

cats painting

is this art? does the cat have the intent to create art?
Haha! That reminds me of this show I saw where they had an elephant paint with it's truck. They then showed this "art" to several "art critics" and the majority of them thought it was very good, and had all these opinions about what the "artist" was trying to express. Well, they then told the "critics" that it was actually a bunch of nonsense scribbled on paper by an elephant... the "critics" didn't have much to say about that. Red faces all around. ;)

I am a musician, and music critic, and I would surely know if something I was listening to was created by an animal or not....

I'm not really sure what that says, but I find it interesting that "art" is so vague, that critics can't even tell if it's legit or not. That scares me.

-Ryan
 
All times are GMT -4. The time now is 10:34 AM.

Copyright © 2005-2007 MacNN. All rights reserved.
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8
Copyright ©2000 - 2016, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.


Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.3.2