MacNN Forums (http://forums.macnn.com/)
-   MacNN Lounge (http://forums.macnn.com/macnn-lounge/)
-   -   SCAM victim, please advice :( (http://forums.macnn.com/89/macnn-lounge/361327/scam-victim-please-advice/)

angelmb Feb 8, 2008 03:47 AM
SCAM victim, please advice :(
from this topic…

http://forums.macnn.com/59/marketpla...-1-67ghz-15-a/

now I have paid the PowerBook on January, 23. Firstly I didn't heard about him receiving the money for a week… he told me:

Hi,

Sorry have been out of town had a bit of a family emergency. I am actually only going to be back home on Friday.

Yes the money has arrived and I will be shipping out the powerbook on friday.

I will send you an email once it has been sent.

Cheers.

that was January, 31… no news since then… so today I find THIS:

http://www.ehmac.ca/ehmac-ca-info-ce...-thread-8.html

There are eight pages about stuff being scammed, I live in Spain and had yet bought several stuff in advance aimed to this PowerBook…

Any advice would be greatly welcome.

Why do some people suck this much? :brick:

Feel free to e-mail me…
http://img412.imageshack.us/img412/3259/imagebp3.png

Tiresias Feb 8, 2008 03:58 AM
Sad. :(

goMac Feb 8, 2008 04:08 AM
How did you pay him? That will tell us what your best recourse might be.

turtle777 Feb 8, 2008 05:00 AM
I truly hope you used a credit card to pay for this transaction.

-t

angelmb Feb 8, 2008 06:14 AM
No, direct bank account transaction :(((((

Bank and lawyer told me there is NOTHING they can do…

I guess I have to sold my MDD now… man this sucks too much, if anyone meets this guy ever, give him a hard slap on the face, OK? cause I am punching myself now… you trust people and this is what you get as reward.

Mastrap Feb 8, 2008 08:24 AM
Quote, Originally Posted by angelmb (Post 3597837)
Why, oh why, oh why? Man.

Still, sorry to hear that.

turtle777 Feb 8, 2008 09:12 AM
Quote, Originally Posted by angelmb (Post 3597837)
:brick:

Was this the first time you do "business" on teh intarwebs ?

Seriously, go and read some websites and stories that tell you how the real world is. Nigerian 419 scam ring a bell ? If not, I'd be worried if I was you...

-t

kelso Feb 8, 2008 09:56 AM
Sorry to hear that. That guy deserves a huge kick in the nuts.

andi*pandi Feb 8, 2008 11:02 AM
sorry to hear that.

add him to the shady traders list in marketplace... let the mods know.

angelmb Feb 8, 2008 11:06 AM
What if the given name this guy used to this deal was a fake name instead of his veridic name, would that render this as an illicit operation?, they guy 'taking' the money wouldn't be the proper account owner and the bank would have knowledge about this… could I get in contact with 'his' bank office regarding this issue?, just wondering :-/

angelmb Feb 8, 2008 11:12 AM
Quote, Originally Posted by andi*pandi (Post 3597953)
sorry to hear that.

add him to the shady traders list in marketplace... let the mods know.
I have noticed that thread in Marketplace was his maiden and only post here… I would also suggest a certain number of post to get the 'privilege' to post in the Marketplace, of course posts in the Lounge wouldn't count as trusty ones to get access to the Marketplace…

MacinTommy Feb 8, 2008 11:17 AM
Quote, Originally Posted by angelmb (Post 3597959)
I have noticed that thread in Marketplace was his maiden and only post here… I would also suggest a certain number of post to get the 'privilege' to post in the Marketplace, of course posts in the Lounge wouldn't count as trusty ones to get access to the Marketplace…
I concur. Maybe 100 post minimum??? I used to be part of another forum where you had to have a certain amount of stars before you could go into "the regulars" forum.

HowEver Feb 8, 2008 11:50 AM
I recommend such thefts be reported widely, including the RCMP online reporting site:

https://www.recol.ca/intro.aspx?lang=en

moonmonkey Feb 8, 2008 09:08 PM
What's his name?

subego Feb 8, 2008 10:01 PM
From the last post I'm going to guess Emad Rouf a/k/a Andrew Carter.

Or vicey-versey.

angelmb Feb 9, 2008 03:55 AM
He uses a bunch of different names albeit the bank account name owner is Emad Raouf.

angelmb Feb 10, 2008 11:24 AM
OK, I have read this on the RCMP website… RCMP Scams Frauds

I am the victim of a fraud/scam. What should I do? Who should I contact?

To report a fraud if you live in Canada:
- contact your local RCMP Detachment or the police service of jurisdiction in your area.
- go to the RCMP's Reporting Economic Crime On-Line (RECOL) website.

To report a fraud
If you live outside Canada:
- Please contact your local police service and ask them to make a request for assistance from the appropriate Canadian law enforcement agency.
- U.S. Residents: Please contact the Internet Crime Complaint Center. If necessary, they will contact the appropriate law enforcement agency in Canada

So I shall talk to Spain's police force, I already did that… a friend of me works there, but I haven't read the text above until now, so I wonder… which Canadian law enforcement agency would be that one?, just wondering…

moonmonkey Feb 11, 2008 05:38 AM
Quote, Originally Posted by angelmb (Post 3598559)
He uses a bunch of different names albeit the bank account name owner is Emad Raouf.
I assume you tried googling him?
Quite a lot of info.

angelmb Feb 11, 2008 11:45 AM
Yes, that's how ended on ehMac canadian boards where they were kind enough to give me advice.

Until now talking to Spain police force was futile, where I do live they don't have the power or authority to go further than fill a claim so I was trying to phone to Madrid, but… they don't answer the phone, d'oh !!

olePigeon Feb 11, 2008 04:54 PM
Check and see if Spain or the E.U. has a localized group for dealing with internet crimes. Here in the U.S. we have the IC3 (Internet Crime Complaint Center) which is a division of the FBI that handles internet and wire fraud.

They successfully tracked down a lady that scammed my brother. He's yet to be payed because of how our justice system works. She has 18 years not including her prison time to make restitution.

Also, contact other people and see if any of them dealt with him differently. See if there's an address or other contact information. Find out what country he's located in and see if there are any officials there that you can contact.

turtle777 Feb 11, 2008 05:02 PM
Quote, Originally Posted by olePigeon (Post 3600058)
Check and see if Spain or the E.U. has a localized group for dealing with internet crimes. Here in the U.S. we have the IC3 (Internet Crime Complaint Center) which is a division of the FBI that handles internet and wire fraud.

They successfully tracked down a lady that scammed my brother. He's yet to be payed because of how our justice system works. She has 18 years not including her prison time to make restitution.
:lol:

18 years ? And you really think he's gonna caugh up that money after that time ?

I think you just gave angelmb a convincing argument to give up and call it what it is. Sh!t happens happened.

-t

angelmb Feb 11, 2008 05:52 PM
Quote, Originally Posted by olePigeon (Post 3600058)
Yes, Spain has some sort of a police division aimed to internet crimes but it seems they are only operative in Madrid, so all I can do is to fill papers so at least I could claim I was scammed by that guy in the event the Canadian police folks caught him, at least I have all the docs related to this.

As for the IC3, it sounds interesting, a pity there is imperative that one of the parts involved has to be an US citizen, so that's actually a no-no.

d'oh… I misread your post as the lady being 18 y.o.

Also, contact other people and see if any of them dealt with him differently. See if there's an address or other contact information. Find out what country he's located in and see if there are any officials there that you can contact.
I know what ISP provider he used, dial-in address, host-name… but that's now police business thought.

Will talk to Spain police force again tomorrow, give them all the related documentation and see how the folks from Madrid can help me out. Thanks you all for your kindly advice.

olePigeon Feb 11, 2008 06:30 PM
Quote, Originally Posted by angelmb (Post 3600115)
d'oh… I misread your post as the lady being 18 y.o.
Don't let that discourage you, that's just in the U.S.

I know what ISP provider he used, dial-in address, host-name… but that's now police business thought.
That should be enough to find out who it was. Hopefully Canada has Data Retention laws and they can look up who the person is. You need to call an authority in Canada and provide them with that information. You should also call the ISP Public Relations and let them know what you're doing. Ask if they have an email so you can send all the information.

Will talk to Spain police force again tomorrow, give them all the related documentation and see how the folks from Madrid can help me out. Thanks you all for your kindly advice.
That's a very good idea. Before you go, see if you can find a Canadian official that the police can talk to and the ISP contact information. If you can show up and make their job easier, they may be more inclined to help you.