MacNN Forums (http://forums.macnn.com/)
-   MacNN Lounge (http://forums.macnn.com/macnn-lounge/)
-   -   Twilight (http://forums.macnn.com/89/macnn-lounge/384322/twilight/)

 
Hg2491 Jan 2, 2009 07:35 AM
Twilight
Are there any Twilight fans here?

Yesterday was the movie premiere here in Dominican Republic (after 2+ months of waiting). For me it was an excellent representation for everything that happened on the book. They didn't create or altered parts of the story to make it fit.

The movie theater was packed with people from all ages. I don't think I've seen that with ohter movies!

So, what are your thoughts of Twilight (movie or book)?
 
jokell82 Jan 2, 2009 10:49 AM
Since I am not a 13-year-old girl, I think it's pretty stupid.

The anti-Twilight argument on this page pretty much sums it up:
http://tinyurl.com/6pxsgg
 
King Bob On The Cob Jan 2, 2009 12:50 PM
It's a story written about vampires...

That aren't vampires. WTF, they can go out in the sun and they get sparkly? It's NOT about overt sexuality and primal lust? Well then WHY USE VAMPIRES?!?!?
 
sek929 Jan 2, 2009 01:19 PM
Virgin vampires that don't suck blood, do not want to seduce women, and don't die in the sunlight...

What's the point? Dawson's Creek with fangs.
 
Chuckit Jan 2, 2009 01:43 PM
Sorry, I'm going to have to join the haters.

The movie was better than the book, which was just painful. I think it's because Robert Pattinson and Kristen Stewart and Catherine Hardwicke are actually more talented than the original author. The worst parts were the ones that got changed the least from the book ("And then the lion fell in love with the lamb…").

I'm told the later books are much better, but I'll never know, because if I have to read the phrase "Edward grinned" again I will claw my eyeballs out. And this is coming from somebody whose entertainment motto is, "If you don't feel guilty, it isn't really a pleasure."
 
osiris Jan 2, 2009 01:46 PM
I never heard of Twilight, therefore it must suck or be for young children.
 
jokell82 Jan 2, 2009 02:16 PM
Quote, Originally Posted by osiris (Post 3782986)
I never heard of Twilight, therefore it must suck or be for young children.
Both, actually.
 
Mabelusk Jan 2, 2009 07:28 PM
Quote, Originally Posted by King Bob On The Cob (Post 3782963)
It's a story written about vampires...

That aren't vampires. WTF, they can go out in the sun and they get sparkly? It's NOT about overt sexuality and primal lust? Well then WHY USE VAMPIRES?!?!?

The reason why the existence and description of vampires is a myth is because no one knows for sure how they are, so if the author of Twilight wants vampires that get sparkly in the sun and fall in love with a human it is HER CHOICE. When you meet a vampire and prove that they cannot go out in the sun and reject lust please tell me, and I'll approve your comment.

And even if it was true, Peter Parker is human and no one complains about his getting powers with the bite of a radioactive spider. Wonder Woman drives an invisible airplane that obviously no one can see, but somehow she manages to see it, and drive it! These are famous stories that most people love, and there's no chance they could happen.

People love difference, things out of the ordinary, thats the reason why Stephenie Meyer used a different version of what we consider vampires.
 
Jawbone54 Jan 2, 2009 07:44 PM
The only people that I know that enjoy the books are between 12-17, and they are female.
 
Atheist Jan 2, 2009 07:57 PM
It's a little long... but I thought this was rather funny...

If 'Twilight' Was 10 Times Shorter And 100 Times More Honest
 
King Bob On The Cob Jan 2, 2009 09:26 PM
Quote, Originally Posted by Mabelusk (Post 3783092)
The reason why the existence and description of vampires is a myth is because no one knows for sure how they are, so if the author of Twilight wants vampires that get sparkly in the sun and fall in love with a human it is HER CHOICE. When you meet a vampire and prove that they cannot go out in the sun and reject lust please tell me, and I'll approve your comment.

And even if it was true, Peter Parker is human and no one complains about his getting powers with the bite of a radioactive spider. Wonder Woman drives an invisible airplane that obviously no one can see, but somehow she manages to see it, and drive it! These are famous stories that most people love, and there's no chance they could happen.

People love difference, things out of the ordinary, thats the reason why Stephenie Meyer used a different version of what we consider vampires.
Oh come on, at least use your real account if you want to say that you actually believe in vampires. This is mocking material for the next century. Vampires are a myth generated quite a long time ago and then were used by Christians to scare people off from being sexually promiscuous. The author was not using this legend, so why would she use the name that was linked with it? Why not come up with her own creature that goes bump in the night who can fall in love with humans? I mean, Buffy the Vampire Slayer managed to use something that quite well resembles the original vampire myth to tell a story about human/vampire love without completely tossing all the lore attached to it out. She is attempting to ignore a good bit of mythological history for her own gain rather than being creative herself.
 
Mabelusk Jan 2, 2009 09:33 PM
Quote, Originally Posted by Atheist (Post 3783097)
It's a little long... but I thought this was rather funny...

If 'Twilight' Was 10 Times Shorter And 100 Times More Honest
That article is soo funny!
 
Hg2491 Jan 2, 2009 10:07 PM
Quote, Originally Posted by Atheist (Post 3783097)
It's a little long... but I thought this was rather funny...

If 'Twilight' Was 10 Times Shorter And 100 Times More Honest
Saturday Night Life gone wrong. Funny :P
 
Mabelusk Jan 2, 2009 10:18 PM
Quote, Originally Posted by King Bob On The Cob (Post 3783112)
Oh come on, at least use your real account if you want to say that you actually believe in vampires. This is mocking material for the next century. Vampires are a myth generated quite a long time ago and then were used by Christians to scare people off from being sexually promiscuous. The author was not using this legend, so why would she use the name that was linked with it? Why not come up with her own creature that goes bump in the night who can fall in love with humans? I mean, Buffy the Vampire Slayer managed to use something that quite well resembles the original vampire myth to tell a story about human/vampire love without completely tossing all the lore attached to it out. She is attempting to ignore a good bit of mythological history for her own gain rather than being creative herself.
I'm actually a new user, and registered after I saw your comment because I had to reply it. Who do you think I am? No, I don't believe in vampires, and if you really read my post you would have seen where I wrote that vampires were a MYTH.

She might be "ignoring mythological history for her own gain", but this still applies to other stories, like Spider Man and Wonder Woman -as I mentioned earlier-, who are human, and whose authors aren't denying some mythological history, but our own. I trust you don't watch/read those 'creativity scarce' stories.

If you hate Twilight so much, just don't read it and write a book with your own new mythical character.
 
Hg2491 Jan 2, 2009 10:30 PM
Here in DR Twilight is kind of popular regardless of age and sex. Yesterday in the movies there was a group of 40-year-old women screaming even more than the teens there. That was hilarious. Also, I know more guys beside myself that have read Twilight -- they have even read the four books. Yes, Twilight has a very female perspective, but I've heard that the others do not.

After the seven Harry Potter books, Twilight is a nice change.
 
kenya18 Jan 2, 2009 10:34 PM
Quote, Originally Posted by King Bob On The Cob (Post 3782963)
It's a story written about vampires...

That aren't vampires. WTF, they can go out in the sun and they get sparkly? It's NOT about overt sexuality and primal lust? Well then WHY USE VAMPIRES?!?!?
i mean. jaja. you are both right on this one. they aren't vampires, no. but she's still not the first one to alter a myth to get an edge.

anyways, it's not the vampires that make the book bad, it's everything else. it's just too predictable, repetitive, emo, and just the same old stuff we are all used to reading from other places.
she just got lucky that it was released and people happened to love it, but there is nothing that special to it.

yet the movie is great, just because it differs from the book. it was definitely more exciting, and robert pattinson as edward was great. XD
 
abeato6 Jan 2, 2009 10:38 PM
ok, so I read this and I have to come clean. At first with all the Twilight buzz I just laughed at all the girls drooling over Edward. But eventually I fell into it and read the saga, all four books, and I have to admit it was a great saga, for a new author like Stephenie Meyer this was a great piece of work.

Mabelusk actually has a point, there are no 'default' parameters for the features of vampires so the author is free to twist it all she wants, that's what writing FICTION is all about, speaking your thoughts huh?.

Anyway, if you don't like Twilight don't come here to give the OP a hard time people, for some things in life you actually need an open mind.

Twilight FTW!
 
Hg2491 Jan 2, 2009 10:41 PM
Quote, Originally Posted by King Bob On The Cob (Post 3783112)
Oh come on, at least use your real account if you want to say that you actually believe in vampires. This is mocking material for the next century. Vampires are a myth generated quite a long time ago and then were used by Christians to scare people off from being sexually promiscuous. The author was not using this legend, so why would she use the name that was linked with it? Why not come up with her own creature that goes bump in the night who can fall in love with humans? I mean, Buffy the Vampire Slayer managed to use something that quite well resembles the original vampire myth to tell a story about human/vampire love without completely tossing all the lore attached to it out. She is attempting to ignore a good bit of mythological history for her own gain rather than being creative herself.
Sadly I'm going to agree with you. The author's approach to the mythical aspect of the story is not the best, but it doesn't mean this makes Twilight a mocking material for the next century.

BTW, there is an actual medical condition where people need red blood cells found in human blood (I'm hating myself for not remembering the name). So technically, vampires do exist.
 
Hg2491 Jan 2, 2009 10:45 PM
Quote, Originally Posted by abeato6 (Post 3783144)
ok, so I read this and I have to come clean. At first with all the Twilight buzz I just laughed at all the girls drooling over Edward. But eventually I fell into it and read the saga, all four books, and I have to admit it was a great saga, for a new author like Stephenie Meyer this was a great piece of work.

Mabelusk actually has a point, there are no 'default' parameters for the features of vampires so the author is free to twist it all she wants, that's what writing FICTION is all about, speaking your thoughts huh?.

Anyway, if you don't like Twilight don't come here to give the OP a hard time people, for some things in life you actually need an open mind.

Twilight FTW!
Beautifully said.

I was in your same position with all the girls, but in the end they conviced me on reading the book. I haven't finished the saga, but I'm on it.

I really don't understand why these books get so much oposition from guys. I bet that half of you have secretly read the book and are too afraid to come clean about it.
 
abeato6 Jan 2, 2009 10:49 PM
Quote, Originally Posted by Hg2491 (Post 3783149)
Beautifully said.

I was in your same position with all the girls, but in the end they conviced me on reading the book. I haven't finished the saga, but I'm on it.

I really don't understand why these books get so much oposition from guys. I bet that half of you have secretly read the book and are too afraid to come clean about it.
Agree. And I also think that the book is not a chick flick at all, it has action, drama, mystery and romance all together. I'd recommend it to anyone, regardless of age or sex.
 
Hg2491 Jan 2, 2009 10:57 PM
Quote
KRISTEN STEWART

So if you're immortal, how old are you anyway?

ROBERT PATTINSON

Over a hundred, but to be fair I've spent most of that time working on my hair.
Nice twist to the 1918 version. Haha.
 
Carla V. Jan 2, 2009 11:01 PM
go twilight!
Quote, Originally Posted by osiris (Post 3782986)
I never heard of Twilight, therefore it must suck or be for young children.
If you hadn't heard of it its you who's a young sucking child... now headsup dude: IT ROCKS!!
And for those of you who were expecting blood and bites... I shall say I loved how they took vampires and showed ppl a new, more interesting side of them... it's called originality now senselessness!
 
kenya18 Jan 2, 2009 11:03 PM
Quote
KRISTEN STEWART

So if you're immortal, how old are you anyway?

ROBERT PATTINSON

Over a hundred, but to be fair I've spent most of that time working on my hair.
that whole thing is incredibly funny. did you see the end. i mean. loved it. laughed so hard at it. jaja!
 
Carla V. Jan 2, 2009 11:07 PM
Definitely hilarious :P
 
Mabelusk Jan 2, 2009 11:08 PM
Quote
KRISTEN STEWART

So if you're immortal, how old are you anyway?

ROBERT PATTINSON

Over a hundred, but to be fair I've spent most of that time working on my hair.
That should be perfomed. It would be hilarious!
 
Hg2491 Jan 2, 2009 11:11 PM
Quote, Originally Posted by Mabelusk (Post 3783162)
That should be perfomed. It would be hilarious!
School play!
 
Hg2491 Jan 2, 2009 11:14 PM
A friend of mine from the States just refused to click on a link because it said Twilight on it. What is up with you people?!
 
Mabelusk Jan 2, 2009 11:15 PM
Quote
If 'Twilight' Was 10 Times Shorter And 100 Times More Honest

KRISTEN STEWART
Oh. Well, as long as you're here I guess we could have sex.
ROBERT PATTINSON
No, I can't have sex with you! I'd be unable to control myself! I'd bite you and turn you into a vampire! Also I ejaculate boiling venom, so I'd need to wear like fifty condoms.
This is the best I've read in a while. It's hilarious, especially if you've read Twilight. Thanks Atheist.
 
Carla V. Jan 2, 2009 11:43 PM
Rod Hilton ur a genius!
Don't get me wrong I did love the books and the movie but this... this is some art!
 
Hg2491 Jan 2, 2009 11:44 PM
Quote, Originally Posted by Mabelusk (Post 3783166)
This is the best I've read in a while. It's hilarious, especially if you've read Twilight. Thanks Atheist.
And then the lion was thanked by the lamb.
 
lyanma Jan 2, 2009 11:49 PM
Quote, Originally Posted by osiris (Post 3782986)
I never heard of Twilight, therefore it must suck or be for young children.
Thats just really a very stupid thing to say!!! you havent read or even heard of twilight and yet u say it sucks! ...moving on :P

I have to agree the books are not very well written (the content lacks of something I still can't figure what it is), but the way it was written makes it so interesting plus Edward is like every girl's fantasy boy so thats probably why so many girls read it lol :P

I loved the movie, it was funny and romantic they missed some very important parts, but they took the essence of the book, thats a good thing. I think the movie was very chopy, like they moved from one scene to the other very ....erm abruptly ? lol, like one minute they are in forks and PAM(sound effect ;D) they are in phoenix, but you wouldn't know they are in phoenix unless you've already read the book.

I hated the effects on Edward's skin, I mean they had a very low budget so yeah, and that stupid close up to his chest and then I dunno it was awkward (:

I loved the scene where they play eyes on fire <3 sorry had to say
stop anti-twilightism make love ;D
 
Carla V. Jan 2, 2009 11:53 PM
Quote, Originally Posted by lyanma (Post 3783181)
Thats just really a very stupid thing to say!!! you havent read or even heard of twilight and yet u say it sucks! ...moving on :P

Edward is like every girl's fantasy boy so thats probably why so many girls read it lol :P
I think the main cause boys don't like twilight is that it has the dream guy for girls who is as perfect as they'll NEVER be, and it lacks the super hot chick who's almost nude most commercial movies have ;)
 
Hg2491 Jan 2, 2009 11:55 PM
Quote, Originally Posted by Carla V. (Post 3783182)
I think the main cause boys don't like twilight is that it has the dream guy for girls who is as perfect as they'll NEVER be, and it lacks the super hot chick who's almost nude most commercial movies have ;)
Only for guys with self-confidence.
 
SpaceMonkey Jan 3, 2009 12:03 AM
Jeez did the MacNN thread link end up on a Twilight fan board or something?
 
lyanma Jan 3, 2009 12:04 AM
Quote, Originally Posted by Carla V. (Post 3783182)
I think the main cause boys don't like twilight is that it has the dream guy for girls who is as perfect as they'll NEVER be, and it lacks the super hot chick who's almost nude most commercial movies have ;)
hahahaha I couldn't agree more, i was thinking the other day that Harry Potter is full of action, mystery...blah you name it but it doesn't have that much romance, still theres some romance in the book, so its very well accepted by both genders. But twilight is more of a girl book, full of that what- a-girl-always-want-romance, still it is so very well written that everyone reads it, maybe thats why boys dont embrace it that much.
 
ShortcutToMoncton Jan 3, 2009 12:08 AM
Ahhhhahahaha, and suddenly there's an influx of 13-year-old girls talking up Twilight.

Haters in this thread: totally vindicated.

greg
 
Carla V. Jan 3, 2009 12:09 AM
Quote, Originally Posted by SpaceMonkey (Post 3783184)
Jeez did the MacNN thread link end up on a Twilight fan board or something?
If you don't like it there's something called sessions dude... you can go talk about cars or computers if that's what u'd prefer XD
 
Carla V. Jan 3, 2009 12:10 AM
Quote, Originally Posted by ShortcutToMoncton (Post 3783187)
Ahhhhahahaha, and suddenly there's an influx of 13-year-old girls talking up Twilight.

Haters in this thread: totally vindicated.

greg
BTW... if anyone's near 13 here... it'd be you under cover :P
 
lyanma Jan 3, 2009 12:11 AM
Quote, Originally Posted by SpaceMonkey (Post 3783184)
Jeez did the MacNN thread link end up on a Twilight fan board or something?
OK! Ididn't know there couldn't be mac lovers that actually adore twilight!,
 
Mabelusk Jan 3, 2009 12:11 AM
Quote, Originally Posted by SpaceMonkey (Post 3783184)
Jeez did the MacNN thread link end up on a Twilight fan board or something?
You can love Macs and Twilight at the same time. I believe it is not ilegal. :P
 
Hg2491 Jan 3, 2009 12:13 AM
Quote, Originally Posted by ShortcutToMoncton (Post 3783187)
Ahhhhahahaha, and suddenly there's an influx of 13-year-old girls talking up Twilight.

Haters in this thread: totally vindicated.

greg
When are you turning 14?:)
 
SpaceMonkey Jan 3, 2009 12:16 AM
Ohhhh snap! They got you good, greg.
 
Mabelusk Jan 3, 2009 12:19 AM
Quote, Originally Posted by ShortcutToMoncton (Post 3783187)
Ahhhhahahaha, and suddenly there's an influx of 13-year-old girls talking up Twilight.

Haters in this thread: totally vindicated.

greg
I suppose, Twilight is not of your liking?
 
Hg2491 Jan 3, 2009 12:27 AM
Quote, Originally Posted by Mabelusk (Post 3783196)
I suppose, Twilight is not of your liking?
Nor any other original fiction book... Banal. *sigh*
 
lyanma Jan 3, 2009 12:34 AM
Quote, Originally Posted by SpaceMonkey (Post 3783195)
Ohhhh snap! They got you good, greg.
oh snappity snap, they got u good too spacemonkey, sorry i had to :rolleyes:
 
Shaddim Jan 3, 2009 02:09 AM
Quote, Originally Posted by sek929 (Post 3782974)
What's the point? Dawson's Creek with fangs.
that sums it up perfectly. ugh.
 
Hg2491 Jan 3, 2009 02:17 AM
Quote, Originally Posted by Shaddim (Post 3783219)
that sums it up perfectly. ugh.
Have you read the book?
 
Laminar Jan 3, 2009 02:32 AM
This is a terrible thread. I'm speechless.
 
Mabelusk Jan 3, 2009 02:37 AM
Quote, Originally Posted by Laminar (Post 3783224)
This is a terrible thread. I'm speechless.
Then go to another thread. As simple as it gets.
 
Laminar Jan 3, 2009 03:09 AM
Quote, Originally Posted by Mabelusk (Post 3783227)
Then go to another thread. As simple as it gets.
Or how about everyone that joined just to defend what appears to be some lame, substance-free, tween fluff series leave and go to another board?
 
All times are GMT -4. The time now is 07:54 AM.

Copyright © 2005-2007 MacNN. All rights reserved.
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8
Copyright ©2000 - 2015, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.


Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.3.2