MacNN Forums (http://forums.macnn.com/)
-   MacNN Lounge (http://forums.macnn.com/macnn-lounge/)
-   -   Firefly is coming back! (http://forums.macnn.com/89/macnn-lounge/433694/firefly-is-coming-back/)

nonhuman Feb 17, 2011 01:53 PM
Firefly is coming back!

The Final Dakar Feb 17, 2011 02:00 PM
Yeah, in reruns.

I finally got around to watching this a month ago. I did not see the appeal.

SpaceMonkey Feb 17, 2011 02:04 PM
Bold prediction: the new product will disappoint the fanbase in some way.

Edit: d'oh. Well, I guess it still applies.

nonhuman Feb 17, 2011 02:06 PM
Yes, reruns. But if the ratings for the reruns are high enough, it'll be one more reason to consider bringing it back. Also, I think it'll be kinda interesting to hear Michio Kaku's take on the physics of the show.

Full Disclosure: I work for Discovery Communications, which owns the Science Channel. I have no inside information on this whatsoever, and know nothing other than what is in that article I linked to.

The Final Dakar Feb 17, 2011 02:08 PM
Quote, Originally Posted by nonhuman (Post 4052797)
Full Disclosure:
Jesus, if anyone thinks you're part of some grand conspiracy theory regarding a ****ing cancelled show being shown in reruns, I say lead them on.

ort888 Feb 17, 2011 02:15 PM
This is a total non-story. Syfy already aired Firefly in reruns. For a good chunk of time. This is just stupid link bait.

nonhuman Feb 17, 2011 02:17 PM
Quote, Originally Posted by The Final Dakar (Post 4052798)
Jesus, if anyone thinks you're part of some grand conspiracy theory regarding a ****ing cancelled show being shown in reruns, I say lead them on.
I'm less concerned about anyone thinking I've got inside information than I am with 'anyone' thinking I'm claiming to have or spread inside information that I don't.

The Final Dakar Feb 17, 2011 02:19 PM
Full Disclosure: I thought olePigeon started this thread.

nonhuman Feb 17, 2011 02:19 PM
Quote, Originally Posted by ort888 (Post 4052799)
This is a total non-story. Syfy already aired Firefly in reruns. For a good chunk of time. This is just stupid link bait.
I disagree. It shows that another network sees value in the franchise. If that value can be built on, perhaps it can be leveraged into something more in the future.

olePigeon Feb 17, 2011 02:28 PM
As much as I'd love to see additional episodes, it'd be very hard for the cast to get back together. They've all moved on to do other things.

I wouldn't mind seeing the occasional made for TV movie special.

andi*pandi Feb 17, 2011 06:26 PM
All the browncoats own the DVDs already, but this is a nice way to get more to see it. I'm with Olepidgeon, tv movies would be good.

Dork. Feb 17, 2011 06:41 PM
Shiny!

ort888 Feb 17, 2011 07:00 PM
I know I've been guilty of a few annoying thread titles in my past, but this thread title is seriously annoying.

Firefly is not coming back.

Shaddim Feb 17, 2011 08:09 PM
I used profanity when I read that it was only the reruns. Talk about misleading thread titles...

@$$hole! /kevinkline

RAILhead Feb 17, 2011 08:14 PM
Not coming back eleventybillion

This is kind of like yelling "fire" in a movie theater, no?

Dork. Feb 19, 2011 02:48 PM
Quote, Originally Posted by The OP's Link
If I got $300 million from the California Lottery, the first thing I would do is buy the rights to Firefly, make it on my own, and distribute it on the Internet.
Help Nathan Buy Firefly

nonhuman Feb 20, 2011 11:29 AM
Yeah, I was pretty disappointed that it's only reruns too, but still... Full series, original ordering, some new content. The more people watch it the better for everyone.

Lateralus Feb 21, 2011 12:04 PM
I didn't get around to watching Firefly for the first time until a few months. And it really is tragic that it was ended so abruptly and seemingly without a real reason.

As far as first seasons go, Firefly had a special magic and I imagine Season 2 would have been even better.

finboy Feb 21, 2011 04:18 PM
Quote, Originally Posted by Lateralus (Post 4053745)
I didn't get around to watching Firefly for the first time until a few months. And it really is tragic that it was ended so abruptly and seemingly without a real reason.

As far as first seasons go, Firefly had a special magic and I imagine Season 2 would have been even better.
Firefly is a great example, best I can think of, of how the corporate/network types can screw things up rather than adding value. Re-ordering = stupid. Redo of pilot = stupid. Bickering about widescreen, etc. = stupid. It's some of the best TV I've watched since the first seasons of NextGen. Just amazing. Gonna pick up the Blu-Ray when we can.

[On a side note, we've got a Samsung Blu-Ray player and the original series DVDs look horrible on that thing. It does OK with Blu-Ray and Netflix, but old DVDs look like crap. And some of the older Disney titles won't even play on it at all.]

nonhuman Feb 21, 2011 04:49 PM
Quote, Originally Posted by finboy (Post 4053829)
It's some of the best TV I've watched since the first seasons of NextGen.
:err:

Don't get me wrong, I love ST:TNG, but the first two seasons were pretty horrible...

Dork. Feb 21, 2011 05:36 PM
Quote, Originally Posted by nonhuman (Post 4053842)
:err:

Don't get me wrong, I love ST:TNG, but the first two seasons were pretty horrible...
Hey may have blocked them out of his memory as a defense mechanism. Just like I will do if they ever make any sequels to The Matrix.

finboy Feb 21, 2011 08:36 PM
Quote, Originally Posted by Dork. (Post 4053855)
Just like I will do if they ever make any sequels to The Matrix.
:lol:

Mental blocks can be good things.

I'm just so impressed with Firefly! Sure, it will get old once I've watched all of the episodes (I'm savoring them). But it seems such a waste that the corporate types at Fox couldn't get their thumbs out on this. Morons.

Alas, it's not JUST them, since it was never picked up by anyone else for new episodes.

Shaddim Feb 21, 2011 09:07 PM
Quote, Originally Posted by Dork. (Post 4053855)
Hey may have blocked them out of his memory as a defense mechanism. Just like I will do if they ever make any sequels to The Matrix.
or Highlander,

andi*pandi Mar 2, 2011 09:41 AM
Lots of funny things going on out there now... 110000 fans on facebook and counting. Here's a video:

YouTube - Ignore Stephen Baldwin - Restore Joss Whedon

finboy Mar 2, 2011 12:49 PM
Quote, Originally Posted by andi*pandi (Post 4056232)
Lots of funny things going on out there now... 110000 fans on facebook and counting. Here's a video:

Thanks for posting. So much.

beb Mar 3, 2011 04:31 PM
And so is Blakes 7, yeah right. Uh. I'll believe it when I see it. Actually, Blakes 7 or Firefly would make a very good Showtime or HBO series. Anything post BSG has to be better than anything seen before. A series that would be around 12 - 15 episodes per season would be ideal to adequately write and produce.

Laminar Mar 3, 2011 07:15 PM
Quote, Originally Posted by andi*pandi (Post 4056232)

:lol::lol:

andi*pandi Mar 7, 2011 09:11 AM
End game: sounds like they're building a crowdsourcing production company.

Help Nathan Buy Firefly � The Big Damn Plan

Also, anyone else get the Browncoats: Redemption fan movie? Watched it last night. Interesting, but a bit like diet cake. Unsatisfying, but yet... still... cake.

Salty Mar 7, 2011 12:34 PM
I love the Firefly allusions in Castle, if you're not watching, you should be. Some episodes are bland, but for example the last two were stellar!

finboy Mar 7, 2011 01:08 PM
Quote, Originally Posted by andi*pandi (Post 4057793)

Unsatisfying, but yet... still... cake.
Looks like Cheez Whiz. Wish it wasn't. Like so much FanFic, there's always a chance it could scar you forever.