MacNN Forums (http://forums.macnn.com/)
-   MacNN Lounge (http://forums.macnn.com/macnn-lounge/)
-   -   HEYYEYAAEYAAAEYAEYAA by 4 Non Blondes... (http://forums.macnn.com/89/macnn-lounge/497387/heyyeyaaeyaaaeyaeyaa-by-4-non-blondes/)

subego Jan 21, 2013 09:12 AM
HEYYEYAAEYAAAEYAEYAA by 4 Non Blondes...
Is a ripoff of "Don't Worry, Be Happy".

:eek:

The Final Dakar Jan 21, 2013 09:21 AM
In what sense?

subego Jan 21, 2013 09:34 AM
I'm horrible with music terminology.

I want to say the melody, but that may not be right, or not specific enough to describe what I'm talking about.

The Final Dakar Jan 21, 2013 09:40 AM
You better get to posting a youtube video as evidence.

subego Jan 21, 2013 09:42 AM
I'm not that invested.

The Final Dakar Jan 21, 2013 09:43 AM
Your thread is bad and you should feel bad.

subego Jan 21, 2013 09:55 AM
What else is new?

subego Jan 21, 2013 10:03 AM
Just sing it in your head.

Twenty-five years I'm alive here still
Trying to get up that great big hill...

Here's a little song I wrote
You don't have to sing it note for note...

ajprice Jan 21, 2013 11:03 AM
No it isn't.

HTH

Waragainstsleep Jan 21, 2013 11:03 AM

raleur Jan 21, 2013 12:02 PM
It's a horrible song. Try singing along, but use chicken clucks instead of words- it's much more palatable.

Spheric Harlot Jan 21, 2013 01:13 PM
Quote, Originally Posted by ajprice (Post 4212933)
No it isn't.

HTH
The chord changes in both songs are

I - IIm - IV - I

One starts in A major, the other in B major, but the relative chord progressions are the same.

This doesn't qualify as a "rip-off", though, as this particular chord progression is used in probably thousands and thousands of songs. It's not exactly rocket science to arrive at a I - II - IV - I if you're fooling around, looking for something that works.

For what it's worth, "What's Going On" by the Four Non Blondes is pretty outstanding songwriting, and the vocal performance is simply phenomenal. Damn shame she's no longer doing her own songs in the public eye (she writes for others now, mostly).

mattyb Jan 21, 2013 02:34 PM
Quote, Originally Posted by raleur (Post 4212943)
It's a horrible song. Try singing along, but use chicken clucks instead of words- it's much more palatable.
Palatable, chicken.

I loled.

subego Jan 21, 2013 05:02 PM
Quote, Originally Posted by Spheric Harlot (Post 4212950)
For what it's worth, "What's Going On" by the Four Non Blondes is pretty outstanding songwriting, and the vocal performance is simply phenomenal. Damn shame she's no longer doing her own songs in the public eye (she writes for others now, mostly).
I prefer the He-Man version.

Spheric Harlot Jan 21, 2013 05:07 PM
Had to google that.

Ass-tounding.

subego Jan 21, 2013 05:38 PM
You don't think I came to this conclusion listening to the original, do you?

subego Jan 21, 2013 06:07 PM
Quote, Originally Posted by Spheric Harlot (Post 4212950)
The chord changes in both songs are

I - IIm - IV - I

One starts in A major, the other in B major, but the relative chord progressions are the same.

This doesn't qualify as a "rip-off", though, as this particular chord progression is used in probably thousands and thousands of songs. It's not exactly rocket science to arrive at a I - II - IV - I if you're fooling around, looking for something that works.

These chords?

Axis of Awesome - 4 Four Chord Song (with song titles) - YouTube

Spheric Harlot Jan 21, 2013 06:25 PM
No.

That's classic, though. :)

(NB: chords of within a key are related — certain combinations work, certain ones don't or are jarring. It's no coincidence that music designed for widest possible mass appeal follows the same basic rules. It's sort of how pidgin English will consist of the same basic phrases and vocabulary. Although it's kind of disingenuous to cut a song off after four chords and claim it's the same as every other one. ;) )