MacNN Forums (http://forums.macnn.com/)
-   MacNN Lounge (http://forums.macnn.com/macnn-lounge/)
-   -   Mega (http://forums.macnn.com/89/macnn-lounge/497398/mega/)

mattyb Jan 21, 2013 05:28 PM
Mega
Anybody else signed up? 50G isn't to be sneezed at.

The Final Dakar Jan 21, 2013 05:31 PM
Glad you started the thread, though not for such practical reasons. I'm fascinated by the entire drama surrounding megaupload. Ars seems to be unclear on whether this might be a violation of his bail.

mattyb Jan 21, 2013 05:33 PM
I'll bet that he can distance himself from the company enough to just keep himself out of jail.

The Final Dakar Jan 21, 2013 05:37 PM
Given how botched everything is, even if he were in violation I think he'd manage to weasel out.

euphras Jan 21, 2013 06:03 PM
Have you read the terms of use? If i get it right he/the company claims the right to make you/the individual user liable for costs originating when copyright of third parties is infringed. :thumbsdow

mattyb Jan 22, 2013 01:34 PM
Quote, Originally Posted by euphras (Post 4212976)
Have you read the terms of use? If i get it right he/the company claims the right to make you/the individual user liable for costs originating when copyright of third parties is infringed. :thumbsdow
Fat bloke in New Zealand with a checkered history tries to extract costs from a Brit living in France.

Good luck.

The Final Dakar Jan 22, 2013 01:36 PM
Is this different that safe harbor? i.e., so long as they provide a mechanism for copyright holders they can't be held liable?

subego Jan 22, 2013 05:03 PM
Wait... so if you infringe on copyright, they should pay for it?

Spheric Harlot Jan 22, 2013 05:27 PM
If THEY get sued for aiding copyright infringement, they can hold you liable for the cost to them.

Crucial point.

And a rather incalculable one, should, say, systematic copyright infringement by a number of users result in the closure of the business, likely to cost in the millions of dollars (you know, it's happened before).

The Final Dakar Jan 22, 2013 05:46 PM
Quote, Originally Posted by Spheric Harlot (Post 4213155)
If THEY get sued for aiding copyright infringement, they can hold you liable for the cost to them.
Ahhhhhhh. Clever.

gradient Jan 22, 2013 09:43 PM
I signed up cuz....why not?