MacNN Forums (http://forums.macnn.com/)
-   MacNN Lounge (http://forums.macnn.com/macnn-lounge/)
-   -   Ladies and Toilet Seats; Also, Cats and Water Supplies (http://forums.macnn.com/89/macnn-lounge/497770/ladies-toilet-seats-also-cats-water/)

subego Feb 4, 2013 03:49 AM
Ladies and Toilet Seats; Also, Cats and Water Supplies
Just blew out my back lifting up the toilet seat.

I hope y'all are happy.

Spheric Harlot Feb 4, 2013 06:00 AM
Sit down to pee, unless you're at a urinal.

Problem solved.

subego Feb 4, 2013 06:11 AM
That's bad news if you have a smartphone.

Spheric Harlot Feb 4, 2013 06:20 AM
:confused:

subego Feb 4, 2013 06:32 AM
You sit down on the toilet, the phone comes out, you go on reddit...

Spheric Harlot Feb 4, 2013 06:50 AM
And that's bad? ;)

(Well, going on reddit is, I suppose, but who does that?)

FireWire Feb 4, 2013 08:09 AM
I don't understand how that can happen.. first of all, nothing should be in the back pocket, it's bad for the back and risks breaking the object when you sit down. And don't people drop their pants before sitting down? At worst it could drop on the floor from a low height, and never in the toilet. My iPhone is in my left pocket with my wallet, and it's tight enough that nothing moves in there, unless I wear very baggy shorts during the summer.

Regarding the expection that men should lower the seat after use, I think it should be done as a courtesy because ladies like that but it shouldn't be expected, as it takes as much effort to lift than to take down, and is done the same numbers of time. I don't see why we should always take it down while ladies never lift it up after they're done. And for those who falls in it at night, just check before you sit.. common sense... That being said, guys should really pee in the sitting position: I read it's better for the body, and there's never any accidental splashing.

Finally, I think they should really eliminate the gap in the seat in public places, so jackasses would never be tempted to pee with the seat down, between the two parts, and there would never have stains on the seats.. Come on.. unless you're five you already know that the stream is never perfect.. I never understood the function of this gap, to begin with.. it's not there at home..

subego Feb 4, 2013 09:15 AM
The phone comes out because you take it out to go on reddit while you're sitting down.

subego Feb 4, 2013 09:17 AM

FireWire Feb 4, 2013 09:48 AM
Public toilets are designed the way they are for the obvious reason: men are pigs. In particular, they splash, and when they're out of the house and away from the restraining influence of their families, they splash even more — and they don't wipe up. The relevant male apparatus being in the front, this makes the front of the toilet seat (particularly the underside) pretty gross
Well that's stupid, because instead of having to clean only the front part, we have to wipe the entire cover because some morons take advantage of this gab to practice their (poor) aiming..

MacinTommy Feb 4, 2013 10:47 AM
Internet Fact: Reddit makes you sit on the toilet at least 50% longer.

mattyb Feb 4, 2013 11:48 AM
Besson is about to come in here and sh1t on you all.

I'm off.

osiris Feb 4, 2013 03:29 PM
Quote, Originally Posted by mattyb (Post 4215502)
Besson is about to come in here and sh1t on you all.

I'm off.
I was just thinking the same thing. :p

subego Feb 4, 2013 03:50 PM
Quote, Originally Posted by FireWire (Post 4215487)
Well that's stupid, because instead of having to clean only the front part, we have to wipe the entire cover because some morons take advantage of this gab to practice their (poor) aiming..
Don't poop in public. Problem solved.

Uncle Skeleton Feb 4, 2013 06:48 PM
You guys sit down to poo?

subego Feb 5, 2013 01:25 AM
Of course not. You can't rock back and forth that way. Aren't you on reddit?

Spheric Harlot Feb 5, 2013 04:51 AM
Quote, Originally Posted by Uncle Skeleton (Post 4215580)
You guys sit down to poo?
Of course not. The sink isn't built to carry that weight! :stick:

ghporter Feb 5, 2013 07:00 AM
I've never had a phone fall out of my pocket when sitting on the loo. I keep mine in a front pocket, which may have something to do with it. Seated elimination is my preferred method when I wake in the middle of the night and need to go - no need to blind myself by turning on a light, no issues with poor aim because I'm still asleep, and I've never fallen over while sitting down, either.

On the other hand, if raising the seat on a toilet hurt your back, there's other problems to worry about beyond whether to stand or sit...

subego Feb 5, 2013 05:19 PM
Last time it was a piece of paper on the floor.

No doubt left there by a lady.

Ω Feb 6, 2013 03:00 AM
Quote, Originally Posted by ghporter (Post 4215642)
Seated elimination is my preferred method when I wake in the middle of the night and need to go - no need to blind myself by turning on a light, no issues with poor aim because I'm still asleep, and I've never fallen over while sitting down, either.
Two things spring to mind:

Piss in the bath - it's bigger!
You have fallen over while taking a "mans" piss?

:D

ShortcutToMoncton Feb 7, 2013 10:37 AM
Cool fact, having looked at a swath of toilet options lately: there are crazily awesome toilet seats with built-in bidets that raise and lower automatically, are comfortably self-warming, sprinkle warm water and blow hot air, and even play music when you sit down.

The last one just killed me. What song would you get your toilet to play? Handel's Messiah?

Anyways, sub needs to shell out some serious cash for a new toilet. Let it never be said that more money will not solve your problems.

shifuimam Feb 7, 2013 10:46 AM
Quote, Originally Posted by ShortcutToMoncton (Post 4216113)
Let it never be said that more money will not solve your problems.
Truer words have never been spoken.

Waragainstsleep Feb 7, 2013 01:14 PM
The last one just killed me. What song would you get your toilet to play? Handel's Messiah?
"Bogtones" Its a billion dollar market.

Anyways, sub needs to shell out some serious cash for a new toilet. Let it never be said that more money will not solve your problems.
Maybe an astronaut style funnel & vacuum arrangement so you don't have to sit or aim.

Uncle Skeleton Feb 7, 2013 02:07 PM
What song would you get your toilet to play? Handel's Messiah?
I like. big. butts and I can not lie...

The Final Dakar Feb 7, 2013 02:07 PM
1812 overture.

ShortcutToMoncton Feb 7, 2013 03:01 PM
My buddy said the 2001 theme. I love that the answers seem to be either a ridiculous song like Baby Got Back or Welcome to the Jungle (another buddy), or the most ponderously grandiose theme songs in history. So far one's just picked a nice song simply because it's their favourite.... :lol:

andi*pandi Feb 7, 2013 03:05 PM
I think I'd get sick of one song, the only use I can think of for that feature is potty training kids. Put sesame street on there.

A bathroom radio is much better.

The Final Dakar Feb 7, 2013 03:06 PM
Quote, Originally Posted by andi*pandi (Post 4216189)
I think I'd get sick of one song, the only use I can think of for that feature is potty training kids. Put sesame street on there.

A bathroom radio is much better.
Double click the seat to skip to next song.

Waragainstsleep Feb 8, 2013 04:50 AM
It could play a song your kid hates until they 'go' which would then change the song to one they like as a reward.

subego Feb 8, 2013 11:06 AM
Cool fact, having looked at a swath of toilet options lately: there are crazily awesome toilet seats with built-in bidets that raise and lower automatically, are comfortably self-warming, sprinkle warm water and blow hot air, and even play music when you sit down.

After my old seat cracked, I did get one of the ones which lower themselves slowly rather than slam.

It's also quick-release for cleaning underneath it.

I have to say, these are both very nice features.

gradient Feb 8, 2013 07:23 PM
Anyone who doesn't put the lid down on a toilet (and I mean the LID, not just the seat, ladies) is gross. Why do I want to see the inside of a toilet bowl when I don't need to.

andi*pandi Feb 8, 2013 07:51 PM
Agreed. We close both, keeps pets out, things less likely to fall in when knocked off a shelf above etc. Also little kids for some reason sometimes throw their toys in there at some point. :/

Shaddim Feb 8, 2013 09:42 PM
My cats like toilet water, even when they have fresh in their bowls. I know... :err:

BLAZE_MkIV Feb 8, 2013 10:17 PM
Water goes down the hole.
Tiny Toons - The Potty Years.AVI - YouTube

besson3c Feb 8, 2013 11:25 PM
It's about time we had a thread about cheating and peeing.

subego Feb 9, 2013 12:09 AM
Quote, Originally Posted by gradient (Post 4216393)
Anyone who doesn't put the lid down on a toilet (and I mean the LID, not just the seat, ladies) is gross. Why do I want to see the inside of a toilet bowl when I don't need to.
I do not fear the abyss staring back.

Spheric Harlot Feb 9, 2013 12:26 AM
Quote, Originally Posted by Shaddim (Post 4216408)
My cats like toilet water, even when they have fresh in their bowls. I know... :err:
All cats like toilet water.

subego Feb 9, 2013 12:29 AM
And are mortal enemies of the vacuum cleaner.

andi*pandi Feb 9, 2013 01:02 AM
When we first got our cats, it coincided with our son being just old enough to use the bathroom himself. The cats liked playing in the bathroom, jumping on the closed lid to hurtle into the bathtub, hide in the shower curtain, etc. One day he did not close the lid and we heard a sploosh. Cat had jumped without looking, assuming the lid was a permanent fixture. Poor cat. Poor cat then had a bath. :(

besson3c Feb 9, 2013 01:30 AM
I pee standing up and then wipe up my spillage, but this one time right when I was about to start my urine stream the cat put his head between my legs and I almost peed on him.

I've never come close to fireing on him though.

subego Feb 9, 2013 01:46 AM
As I know I've mentioned before, I had to pee in the litterbox once because my cat was confused. She had held it in all day and could barely walk at that point.

Immediate comprehension was achieved.

ghporter Feb 9, 2013 08:36 AM
Quote, Originally Posted by Ω (Post 4215791)
Two things spring to mind:

Piss in the bath - it's bigger!
You have fallen over while taking a "mans" piss?

:D
I don't like to cause unneeded strife, so the tub is out. And while I have yet to fall over while standing to urinate, there are times when the risk is substantially greater, such as when I have to go in the middle of the night. It isn't the fall that would worry me as much as the headline: "Man found wedged between toilet and wall - says he wanted to pee like a grown up". It would be embarrassing. :D

Waragainstsleep Feb 9, 2013 09:41 AM
Quote, Originally Posted by Shaddim (Post 4216408)
My cat prefers puddles to tap water. I'm told they can taste the fluorides and whatnot in the water but that wouldn't explain why they'd like toilet water as it usually comes from the same source as the tap.
I knew a cat who would drink from the tap but only from the running tap as it allegedly prevented him tasting the chemicals somehow.

Shaddim Feb 9, 2013 02:38 PM
We have well water and run it through filters and softeners. The municipal water is wretched around here.

mattyb Feb 9, 2013 04:20 PM
Quote, Originally Posted by Spheric Harlot (Post 4216433)
All cats like toilet water.
But the BEST flavour, is the muddy stuff in the plant pot saucers. Yum yum.

BLAZE_MkIV Feb 9, 2013 04:36 PM
Quote, Originally Posted by Waragainstsleep (Post 4216483)
My cat prefers puddles to tap water. I'm told they can taste the fluorides and whatnot in the water but that wouldn't explain why they'd like toilet water as it usually comes from the same source as the tap.
I knew a cat who would drink from the tap but only from the running tap as it allegedly prevented him tasting the chemicals somehow.
The chlorine they treat the water with breaks down and evaporates if the water is left standing for a while.

ghporter Feb 10, 2013 11:33 AM
Cats like aerated water. I don't know if it has to do with whether or not they can taste chlorine, but if you give a cat identical bowls with still water and circulated water, they will go for the circulated (and thus aerated) water most of the time. I have a large bowl with a recirculating pump for my cats, and they drink from that far more than they did from the bowl before I added the pump.

Thorzdad Feb 10, 2013 12:15 PM
Quote, Originally Posted by Shaddim (Post 4216515)
We have well water and run it through filters and softeners. The municipal water is wretched around here.
I'd kill for municipal water. Even filtered and softened, our well water is undrinkable. For drinking, we haul a couple of crates with gallon bottles to the market every Saturday and refill them from a machine.

As for cats...Our cat loves the water sitting in the shower after we're done. He'll also go straight for any glass of water left unattended.

subego Feb 10, 2013 11:25 PM
When it comes to municipal water, giant freshwater lake FTW.

The Final Dakar Feb 11, 2013 10:21 AM
Quote, Originally Posted by mattyb (Post 4216530)
But the BEST flavour, is the muddy stuff in the plant pot saucers. Yum yum.
Rich in soil nutrients with the tang of the plant.

Anyway if it's not actually chewing on the plant, count yourself as lucky.