MacNN Forums (http://forums.macnn.com/)
-   MacNN Lounge (http://forums.macnn.com/macnn-lounge/)
-   -   I Think I Actually LIKE Comcast Business Class (http://forums.macnn.com/89/macnn-lounge/499203/i-think-i-actually-like-comcast/)

subego Mar 26, 2013 06:13 AM
I Think I Actually LIKE Comcast Business Class
My connection is 99.5% jacked right now, so that's not too hot, but every time this has happened they've rolled a truck within six hours. My current window is between three and five hours from now.

I very well may be the first person who's ever liked Comcast.

shifuimam Mar 26, 2013 09:05 AM
I had Comcast Business in Indiana, because I needed a static IP for website hosting. It was really awesome - and surprisingly affordable.

Comcast's quality really depends on region. Each regional service area is operated independently in many ways. Comcast pricing and service response times suck in northern VA, but were awesome in central and nothern Indiana.

Of course, Comcast is part of the six strikes thing, so that's bad. Any idea if their business service will be under that new policy?

subego Mar 26, 2013 09:14 AM
No clue.

However, I can say with authority that Comcast Residential in this region is the navel of Satan.

turtle777 Mar 26, 2013 09:49 AM
Quote, Originally Posted by subego (Post 4223473)
However, I can say with authority that Comcast Residential in this region is the navel of Satan.
I don't know what experience you had, but Comcast in the North-Western Chicago suburbs isn't too bad.

I definitely don't have any horror stories to report.

-t

subego Mar 26, 2013 10:18 AM
I'm in the city proper.

Getting a pair of CableCards took:

Multiple techs blowing several hours a piece, plus waiting during a four-hour window.

One tech who just never showed up.

Attitude from the guy on the phone about that.

One tech who showed up, but with no CableCards.

And then the capper was I had been lied to the whole time about not being allowed to do a self-install. I could have driven 10 minutes away and picked up CableCards from the "Courtesy Center".

Which has quarter-inch thick bulletproof glass between you and them as a "courtesy".

Which is what I ended up doing.

AUUUUUGH! AUUUUUUGH!

sek929 Mar 26, 2013 12:51 PM
I've always had stellar service with Comcast Internet regarding the internet speed and reliability.

Comcast Customer service, on the other hand...

The Final Dakar Mar 26, 2013 12:53 PM
Quote, Originally Posted by sek929 (Post 4223509)
I've always had stellar service with Comcast Internet regarding the internet speed and reliability.

Comcast Customer service, on the other hand...
Except that time they inexplicably downgraded your family's service.

sek929 Mar 26, 2013 01:05 PM
Quote, Originally Posted by The Final Dakar (Post 4223510)
Except that time they inexplicably downgraded your family's service.
Yeah I lump that in with the whole Customer Service area. Funniest thing is that I noticed damn near immediately that the speed wasn't there.

After 20 minutes:

"Oh sir, it seems like your service has been downgraded."

Why?

"Well our pricing for that tier has gone up 10 dollars."

So you guys were just going to give me worse internet and charge me the same without saying anything?

"<silence>"

olePigeon Mar 26, 2013 04:53 PM
I had Comcast for a while. I had 2300 ms ping. Yes, 2.3 seconds. I was told over and over that the connection is fine, and that latency is not a factor in determining the quality of the service. On the weekdays after 6PM and on the weekends pretty much all day until 2AM, the connection would slow to about 6K/second. Websites would take minutes to load. It was marginally faster than dialup if you didn't take into account the 2300 ms latency between clicks.

They told me that if I wanted a technician to come out, i would have to pay for it.

Fortunately I only had to endure it for a little over a year, by which time AT&T had rolled out U-Verse in my area. Well, by AT&T, I mean that us tax payers paid money to have dark fiber installed with our new Lightrail extension, and AT&T got to use it for free and double dip on us customers.

In any event, it was better than the heaping pile of sh*t that was Comcast. After I had canceled my service, they had the balls to send someone to my door asking me if I really wanted to cancel. They told me that their central node was damaged and was the source of all my problems, so they fixed it and would give me a good deal.

I asked them if they were f**king serious? I had been complaining for over a year and they refused to send a technician out unless I paid for it, all the time telling me it was my fault. Told the guy to go f**k himself and slammed the door.

Never again will I use Comcast. I can only hope that Google will magically roll out their gigabit fiber in my area. Full 1 gig symmetrical line, no strings attached, not throttling, no packet shaping, run my own servers, do whatever I want with it for $70 a month? TAKE MY MONEY ALREADY!

Snow-i Mar 26, 2013 05:26 PM
Quote, Originally Posted by subego (Post 4223456)
My connection is 99.5% jacked right now, so that's not too hot, but every time this has happened they've rolled a truck within six hours. My current window is between three and five hours from now.

I very well may be the first person who's ever liked Comcast.
Like every one of my relationships so far, the honey-moon phase will wear off, and you are in for some hurt :)

The Final Dakar Mar 27, 2013 09:33 AM
Anyway, I feel like this isn't a great revelation. Comcast treating a business better than a person? Let me guess, you're paying a lot more, too.

subego Mar 27, 2013 10:31 AM
If I didn't spring for the extra 50Mb down, it'd be close to a full boat residential cable/Internet plan.

That's where the surprise comes in. They've been curbstomping my wallet for years and giving me back the crappiest service known to man. I drop the cable and it becomes like the Eddie Murphy SNL routine where he puts on white person makeup.

subego Mar 27, 2013 11:15 AM
I mean, isn't the whole deal with cable TV is that it's being killed by the Internet? Isn't that why they do crap like cap you?

Now I get treated better and don't have a cap.

The Final Dakar Mar 27, 2013 11:41 AM
Again, is this a business account? Are businesses considered to be killing TV?

olePigeon Mar 27, 2013 12:48 PM
They make a killing with the business. It doesn't cost them any more to run the service, but they charge $80/month for a 16/3 line. Meanwhile Google charges $70/month for a 1000/1000 line. You can see why companies are moving to Kansas for no other reason than to get access to Google's internet plan.

The Final Dakar Mar 27, 2013 12:50 PM
I imagine the difference is the cap. Not that its justified, really.

Edit: The service is probably more reliable as well. Business can't afford to be without internet. Comcast don't give a **** if you can't watch House of Cards

olePigeon Mar 27, 2013 05:02 PM
Quote, Originally Posted by The Final Dakar (Post 4223662)
Business can't afford to be without internet.
Which makes me question Comcast's 6 hour response time.

The Final Dakar Mar 27, 2013 05:06 PM
Well, it is Comcast.

subego Mar 27, 2013 05:09 PM
Six was max. This one was 3½ from the call to letting in the tech.

I called at 5 AM, too. So he was here before 9.

sek929 Mar 27, 2013 05:10 PM
Quote, Originally Posted by subego (Post 4223725)
Six was max. This one was 3½ from the call to letting in the tech.

I called at 5 AM, too. So he was here before 9.
That's not bad at all.

Switching my service over recently they had me slated for a Wednesday disconnect and a Saturday connect, this is just a different apartment in the same building. I was able to make them do both simultaneously but I had to prod.

subego Mar 27, 2013 05:30 PM
I'd guess if I was running a server or something I'd lose my shit over even that much. What I'm actually paying out the ass for (as in what I genuinely need for business) is decent upload speeds for cloud backup of RAW files.

I can skip these indefinitely, since offsite backup is only for the most dire circumstances. However, I'm paranoid enough that if it's longer than a day I'll cut them to an HD and walk them over to a friend's. I don't **** around when it comes to protecting my data.

olePigeon Apr 2, 2013 05:35 PM
Quote, Originally Posted by subego (Post 4223732)
What I'm actually paying out the ass for (as in what I genuinely need for business) is decent upload speeds for cloud backup of RAW files.
3Mbit is decent? Not being snarky at you, but Comcast. 10 years ago we had 20/20 lines for $40/month (that was WITH basic cable TV.) Then Comcast bought everything, and the /20 kept getting smaller and smaller until 128k was the norm, and 3Mbit is their super ultra premium for which people pay wads of cash to access... and no TV.

It's interesting how marketing has convinced people that paying a crap ton of money for a shitty 3Mbit line is now "decent." But whatcha gonna do? It's not like there's someone else. :mad:

Don't mean to poop on your thread. If you're happy with the service, all's good. I just really, really hate Comcast. Already in areas where Google (and in some places, municipal Fiber) Comcast and the other cable companies are pumping out good speeds and acceptable prices just to remain competitive with Google. It's amazing what a little competition can do when the cable companies can't sue them out of the market.

subego Apr 2, 2013 07:00 PM
Umm... I have 100/10.

sek929 Apr 3, 2013 12:59 AM
My Comcast is 16/8 and I pay about 50 bucks. I can see around 20Mbit d/l most of the time. I agree that comcast greatly limits the speed of what is possible and feeds you BS about it being "fast" internet.

I would kill for more competition in my area. Verizon FIOS hasn't impressed me all that much with their supposed superior internet.

olePigeon Apr 3, 2013 11:49 AM
Quote, Originally Posted by subego (Post 4224475)
Umm... I have 100/10.
10Mbit for $370 is just criminal. Chattanooga's municipal fiber offers 1000/1000 line for $350/month. 100x faster upload and 10x faster download, for $20 less; and they don't packetshape you connection. They fought an uphill battle after being sued by every cable and telecom company, but came out on top. $70 gets you a 100/100 line, and $140 gets you 250/250.

For the same price as Comcast's service (which you can see why they sued the city) at $120/month, you get a 50/50 line (2x the download, 10x the upload), gets 30 more channels, plus phone with unlimited long distance. No data cap, no packetshaping, and you can use the service however you like.

Would be nice if more cities would jump on the municipal fiber bandwagon. Not everyone can live in Kansas or Tennessee.

subego Apr 3, 2013 12:00 PM
I don't disagree with you that I'm getting racked, but when I said "decent" speed, I was comparing it to the 16/3 I used to have.

mduell Apr 8, 2013 05:35 PM
Quote, Originally Posted by olePigeon (Post 4224574)
10Mbit for $370 is just criminal. Chattanooga's municipal fiber offers 1000/1000 line for $350/month.
What's the over-subscription level?

olePigeon Apr 8, 2013 06:58 PM
Quote, Originally Posted by mduell (Post 4225304)
What's the over-subscription level?
According to Wikipedia, fibre is typically 1:1. DOCSIS 1.1 (cable) is 500:1, but I don't know about the other versions.

From what I understand, fiberoptic is theoretically as fast as the equipment that can handle the data. A few years ago, the best equipment was a little over 100 Terabits/second. I don't know what it is now. So there's no incentive to oversubscribe like with copper that has a physical limitation.

The limitation of fibre is its relative short distance and price. It's between $2000 to $4000 per house to have fibre installed, versus a hundred bucks for copper.