MacNN Forums (http://forums.macnn.com/)
-   MacNN Lounge (http://forums.macnn.com/macnn-lounge/)
-   -   Cost of ex-Us Presidents (http://forums.macnn.com/89/macnn-lounge/499279/cost-of-ex-us-presidents/)

 
mattyb Mar 28, 2013 12:50 PM
Cost of ex-Us Presidents
Interesting.

$85,000 in phone calls though?
 
subego Mar 28, 2013 12:59 PM
Someone apparently left on their international roaming.
 
The Final Dakar Mar 28, 2013 01:12 PM
Someone block 900 numbers from Bill's lines.
 
subego Mar 28, 2013 01:15 PM
Are you kidding? 900 lines call him.
 
andi*pandi Mar 28, 2013 01:16 PM
Jimmy Carter, for being one of the oldest living presidents, is pretty darn frugal comparitively. Well, he isn't paying Dallas or NYC rents for office space too.
 
subego Mar 28, 2013 01:17 PM
He hammered on the economy enough when he was in office.
 
subego Mar 28, 2013 01:18 PM
Presidential joke hat-trick!
 
The Final Dakar Mar 28, 2013 01:19 PM
booooo
 
subego Mar 28, 2013 01:21 PM
Said the ghost of Richard Nixon!

BOOM! HEADSHOT!
 
The Final Dakar Mar 28, 2013 01:25 PM
 
subego Mar 28, 2013 02:04 PM
Here's where I'd do a Franklin Pierce joke, but no one remembers him.
 
gradient Mar 29, 2013 01:13 PM
Why do former Presidents need (expensive) office space? Aren't they technically retired?

What's with Nancy Reagan only getting $14k? Are Presidential pension plans really that lousy?
 
Spheric Harlot Mar 29, 2013 01:35 PM
Quote, Originally Posted by gradient (Post 4223954)
Why do former Presidents need (expensive) office space? Aren't they technically retired?

What's with Nancy Reagan only getting $14k? Are Presidential pension plans really that lousy?
That's the widows' pension, not the president's.
 
gradient Mar 29, 2013 02:56 PM
Quote, Originally Posted by Spheric Harlot (Post 4223956)
That's the widows' pension, not the president's.
Right, maybe I phrased that wrong. Regardless, seems crazy that the widow of a President doesn't even get enough to cover rent on a 1 bedroom apartment. I would have thought that a good portion of the presidential pension would roll over to the spouse in the event of death. At least enough to live off of. Is this just normal for pensions in the USA in general?
 
olePigeon Mar 29, 2013 03:03 PM
Quote, Originally Posted by gradient (Post 4223966)
Right, maybe I phrased that wrong. Regardless, seems crazy that the widow of a President doesn't even get enough to cover rent on a 1 bedroom apartment. I would have thought that a good portion of the presidential pension would roll over to the spouse in the event of death. At least enough to live off of. Is this just normal for pensions in the USA in general?
She setting a bad example for other Republicans. She shouldn't have a pension.
 
subego Mar 29, 2013 05:24 PM
No Hollywood actress is a real Republican.

Ummm... Wilson!
 
Shaddim Mar 30, 2013 04:01 PM
Quote, Originally Posted by olePigeon (Post 4223968)
She setting a bad example for other Republicans. She shouldn't have a pension.
That doesn't make sense. :err: A pension is the same as being "on the dole"?
 
subego Mar 30, 2013 04:02 PM
Dole wasn't President.
 
olePigeon Apr 2, 2013 01:42 PM
Quote, Originally Posted by Shaddim (Post 4224040)
That doesn't make sense. :err: A pension is the same as being "on the dole"?
Current conservative talking points is about how Pensions are bad and bankrupting everything. Funny thing is, Reagan isn't a conservative by current conservative metrics, he's a bleeding liberal. Likewise with his wife.
 
The Final Dakar Apr 2, 2013 01:52 PM
Quote, Originally Posted by olePigeon (Post 4224418)
Current conservative talking points is about how Pensions are bad and bankrupting everything. Funny thing is, Reagan isn't a conservative by current conservative metrics, he's a bleeding liberal. Likewise with his wife.
So expecting his wife to live up to current conservative ideology makes zero sense then.
 
olePigeon Apr 2, 2013 04:57 PM
If she's held up on a pedestal as the wife of the of a man that holds practically god-like status amongst Conservatives, makes sense to me.
 
The Final Dakar Apr 2, 2013 05:03 PM
Quote, Originally Posted by olePigeon (Post 4224460)
If she's held up on a pedestal as the wife of the of a man that holds practically god-like status amongst Conservatives, makes sense to me.
Nancy Reagan is not guilty of hypocrisy because of how current republicans portray her husband. If current ideologues want to try to redefine conservatism she has no control over that. This is just petty and bitter.
 
Shaddim Apr 2, 2013 08:25 PM
Quote, Originally Posted by olePigeon (Post 4224418)
Current conservative talking points is about how Pensions are bad and bankrupting everything. Funny thing is, Reagan isn't a conservative by current conservative metrics, he's a bleeding liberal. Likewise with his wife.
I don't understand, what does she have to do with any of that? :err:
 
olePigeon Apr 3, 2013 11:58 AM
I should have put sarcasm tags around my initial post.
 
All times are GMT -4. The time now is 02:17 PM.

Copyright © 2005-2007 MacNN. All rights reserved.
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8
Copyright ©2000 - 2015, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.


Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.3.2