MacNN Forums (http://forums.macnn.com/)
-   MacNN Lounge (http://forums.macnn.com/macnn-lounge/)
-   -   Eradicate tax havens (http://forums.macnn.com/89/macnn-lounge/499611/eradicate-tax-havens/)

mattyb Apr 10, 2013 09:08 AM
Eradicate tax havens
BBC News - France's President Hollande: Eradicate tax havens

Yeah alright Frank. One of his ministers is caught trying to hide 600,000€ (some say that he actually tried to hide 15€ million) and its the banks' fault.

Mr Hollande said a new central agency would fight fraud and corruption.
The 'central agencies' in France have such a good reputation. I'm sure that this will work.

mattyb Apr 10, 2013 09:10 AM
Didn't see this before posting.

"This is, I think, a question of conscience. How can someone return to the parliament where a lie was told?" Mr Hollande said.
LMFAO.

The Final Dakar Apr 10, 2013 09:37 AM
I don't know what politics is like over there but this sounds like sound and fury signifying nothing.

Spheric Harlot Apr 10, 2013 10:13 AM
Quote, Originally Posted by mattyb (Post 4225568)
BBC News - France's President Hollande: Eradicate tax havens

Yeah alright Frank. One of his ministers is caught trying to hide 600,000€ (some say that he actually tried to hide 15€ million) and its the banks' fault.
Part of this is no doubt a recent (last week) investigative journalism report that unearthed the names of several tens (hundreds?) of thousands of clients and their complex networks of off-shore tax evasion letterbox companies. I don't know whether French journalists were part of that research, but this was a Big Deal last week — at least, until it turned out that much/most of it probably wasn't illegal.

Of course the journalists aren't turning over the names to the authorities or making them public, so there are no concrete figures tied to this (except for millionaire playboy Gunter Sachs, but he died some years ago).

mattyb Apr 10, 2013 12:54 PM
Quote, Originally Posted by The Final Dakar (Post 4225578)
I don't know what politics is like over there but this sounds like sound and fury signifying nothing.
They'll do something. It'll be watered down while it passes from one corrupt entity (senate, constitutional court, mistress of the moment) to the next.

Plus ça change etc.

Leonard Apr 12, 2013 12:58 PM
Isn't that pretty much the same as here.

The US says it agrees to debate gun control. Yeah, right, you can debate it up the ying yang, but you won't get anything done.

In Canada, the Royal Bank of Canada (RBC) got caught outsourcing good paying IT jobs through a loophole in the Visa system (something, apparently all the big banks are doing). The government says we're looking into it.

again...

sounds like sound and fury signifying nothing.