MacNN Forums (http://forums.macnn.com/)
-   MacNN Lounge (http://forums.macnn.com/macnn-lounge/)
-   -   Summer Movies 2013 (http://forums.macnn.com/89/macnn-lounge/500350/summer-movies-2013-a/)

 
Hawkeye_a May 4, 2013 07:02 PM
Summer Movies 2013
Looks like it's movie season again, and there are quite a few I'm looking forward to this year.

Just watched Iron Man 3, it was ok.

Looking forward to:
-Star Trek: Into Darkness
-Man Of Steel
-Pacific Rim

Am I missing any?
 
exca1ibur May 4, 2013 07:16 PM
The Mandarin character was so screwed up in Iron Man, there was no point in having him in the movie or advertising him as a vilian

-Elysium
-World War Z
-After Earth
 
Hawkeye_a May 4, 2013 07:41 PM
Quote, Originally Posted by exca1ibur (Post 4229149)
The Mandarin character was so screwed up in Iron Man, there was no point in having him in the movie or advertising him as a vilian
I didn't mind him too much. But overall, the movie was funnier than I would have liked.
 
reader50 May 4, 2013 07:58 PM
 
Doc HM May 5, 2013 02:46 PM
World War Z? I mean, why bother with buying the rights to the book if your going to make an entirely different movie. Just cal it Zombie Apocalypse of something and let someone else actually make the book into a movie (that I would watch).

Kick Ass 2 The rest of the KA comic is so far under the quality of the first comic I'm keen to see if the movie reflects this quality drop as well. I seriously loved the first movie.

Al these future earth movie seem to be melting into one along with Deliverance and revolution of TV. I'd like to see Idris Elba actually come out of a movie with some dignity so I hope Pacific rium works out Ok.
 
exca1ibur May 5, 2013 10:07 PM
Quote, Originally Posted by Doc HM (Post 4229207)
World War Z? I mean, why bother with buying the rights to the book if your going to make an entirely different movie. Just cal it Zombie Apocalypse of something and let someone else actually make the book into a movie (that I would watch).
They would get sued. Zombie Apocalypse, since it's already been made. :D

I hear you and agree, you can also say that about the majority of movies ever made from the rights of books. :hmm: This is why they say "based" on the novel, to cover their tails. The flag is to make sure the author is involved in the production, to keep the directors and guys from making stuff up outside of the material or at least follow the authors vision.

If you are a fan of Idris Elba, check out Luther. THAT is a great show.
 
Doc HM May 6, 2013 09:37 AM
Quote, Originally Posted by exca1ibur (Post 4229232)
If you are a fan of Idris Elba, check out Luther. THAT is a great show.
I know, he was excellent in that. He was also good in The Wire, not been close to either in feature films so far.
 
olePigeon May 6, 2013 04:50 PM
Can't forget the most important movie of the summer: RiffTrax Live: Twilight
 
Waragainstsleep May 7, 2013 06:31 AM
Oblivion was really good. Saw it the other day.
 
The Final Dakar May 7, 2013 10:21 AM
Oblivion was good, but it felt reminiscent of the Matrix in several parts.
 
Waragainstsleep May 7, 2013 12:16 PM
Not sure how that would be a bad thing. Unless you are including the Matrix sequels.
 
The Final Dakar May 7, 2013 12:16 PM
Quote, Originally Posted by Waragainstsleep (Post 4229450)
Not sure how that would be a bad thing.
It felt like I had seen the movie before. Made aspects predictable.
 
Waragainstsleep May 7, 2013 04:58 PM
So you mean it was like a glitch in The Matrix? ;)
 
olePigeon May 7, 2013 08:43 PM
Quote, Originally Posted by Waragainstsleep (Post 4229450)
Unless you are including the Matrix sequels.
The Matrix didn't have sequels. Would've been cool if they did, though.
 
lpkmckenna May 7, 2013 08:49 PM
Just saw Iron Man 3. I enjoyed it very much. I have absolutely no complaints about The Mandarin in the film. Frankly, I love what they did with that character.
 
Shaddim May 7, 2013 11:29 PM
Quote, Originally Posted by olePigeon (Post 4229589)
The Matrix didn't have sequels. Would've been cool if they did, though.
Neither did Highlander.
 
lpkmckenna May 8, 2013 12:03 AM
Quote, Originally Posted by olePigeon (Post 4229589)
The Matrix didn't have sequels. Would've been cool if they did, though.
I can't stand that meme.

I remember when The Matrix Reloaded hit theatres. People loved it. It was breath-taking. The highway scene alone was some of the most masterfully-executed sci-fi action ever seen on screen. And everyone I knew was buzzing with questions and theories, trying to anticipate how the Warshawski's were gonna tie things up in the last film. (The only thing some people grumbled about was the cave dance scene, god knows why.)

Then The Matrix Revolutions fizzled. It took a few years, but people started pretending that they never liked Reloaded, that "the sequels ruined everything." It's utter nonsense.

A bad film is just a bad film. There's no such thing as "ruining a franchise." The majority of Star Trek and James Bond films are utter crap, but that doesn't matter. A bad Bond film is just a bad film, it doesn't hurt James Bond. Why people complain about "ruined franchises" utterly mystifies me.

The stupidest complaint about Revolutions is the whining that Trinity's death in Revolutions ruining the impact of her being saved in Reloaded. It's true, but for the opposite reason: Trinity should never have died in Reloaded, and she must die in Revolutions. It's the other movie that screwed it up, not Revolutions.
 
Shaddim May 8, 2013 02:00 AM
Hmm, nope, can't remember loving Reloaded. :hmm: The bulls*** of reviving Trinity killed it for me. I wasn't liking it very much up to that point, either. The Wachowskis butchered the gnostic elements they were trying to convey.
 
Waragainstsleep May 8, 2013 06:06 AM
Quote, Originally Posted by Shaddim (Post 4229616)
Neither did Highlander.
For once we are in total agreement.
 
ajprice May 8, 2013 07:32 AM
Star Trek related YouTubeness. Nimoy vs Quinto :) (Yes it's an Audi advert...)
Zachary Quinto vs. Leonard Nimoy: "The Challenge" - YouTube
 
P May 8, 2013 08:48 AM
Quote, Originally Posted by lpkmckenna (Post 4229620)
I can't stand that meme.

I remember when The Matrix Reloaded hit theatres. People loved it. It was breath-taking. The highway scene alone was some of the most masterfully-executed sci-fi action ever seen on screen. And everyone I knew was buzzing with questions and theories, trying to anticipate how the Warshawski's were gonna tie things up in the last film. (The only thing some people grumbled about was the cave dance scene, god knows why.)

Then The Matrix Revolutions fizzled. It took a few years, but people started pretending that they never liked Reloaded, that "the sequels ruined everything." It's utter nonsense.

A bad film is just a bad film. There's no such thing as "ruining a franchise." The majority of Star Trek and James Bond films are utter crap, but that doesn't matter. A bad Bond film is just a bad film, it doesn't hurt James Bond. Why people complain about "ruined franchises" utterly mystifies me.

The stupidest complaint about Revolutions is the whining that Trinity's death in Revolutions ruining the impact of her being saved in Reloaded. It's true, but for the opposite reason: Trinity should never have died in Reloaded, and she must die in Revolutions. It's the other movie that screwed it up, not Revolutions.
We remember Reloaded differently then. I loved the original when it came out, but Reloaded felt like half a movie. Yes the chase scene was good, but that was it - and the chase scene was also basically pointless. There were so many hooks to the next that there was no real finale, which makes us think of the two sequels together. Revolutions is where it dies though, with that obnoxiously silly use of powers outside the Matrix. Trinity's death is bad scriptwriting, because while the first one was a sacrifice, the second was basically an accident.

The thing is that viewed from 10000 feet, the Revolutions script doesn't look too bad. The solution is to seek peace, not a "throw the ring into the volcano" fix-all - and let's face it, the original's script has one truck sized hole in it as well. It's just that the way they get there is so badly plotted.

And yes, franchises die - or, more likely, get wounded and take a hiatus. Bond has been on hiatus several times. Terminator: Salvation seems to have killed any plans for future Terminator movies, at least for now.
 
The Final Dakar May 8, 2013 10:19 AM
I unapologetically love Reloaded.

Revolutions was dismal, however.
 
Stogieman May 8, 2013 02:31 PM
Quote, Originally Posted by The Final Dakar (Post 4229658)
I unapologetically love Reloaded.
I unapologetically love Monica Bellucci's cleavage.
 
lpkmckenna May 8, 2013 02:32 PM
Clearly, when I say "people loved it," I'm not claiming universal love by all of mankind. But I had many conversations with friends, family, and co-workers, and I can't recall a single person who didn't love it, aside from one or two little things. There were so many moments to love: the Merovingian, the albino twins, the mid-air rescue, "she wasn't your kissing lips," "where's my pus...hey!"

Quote, Originally Posted by Shaddim (Post 4229626)
The Wachowskis butchered the gnostic elements they were trying to convey.
Care to explain your view on that?

Quote, Originally Posted by P (Post 4229650)
Revolutions is where it dies though, with that obnoxiously silly use of powers outside the Matrix.
I don't think it's obnoxious or silly. After reaching the Architect, Neo becomes aware that he is wirelessly connected to the Matrix at all times, (and probably always was), so he can signal to any Machine in the real world to shut down or self-detonate. It's basically Neo hacking Machines, which I think feeds back into the theme of the film. My only complaint about it is that it's unnecessary; it doesn't actually help Neo gain access to the Machine city. The persistent wireless connection also explains how Neo reconnects into the Matrix when he drops into a coma.

Frankly, the biggest unexplained power is Neo's (and Oracle's) knowledge of the future. It's a key part of all three films, but can't be explained by "being in the Matrix." (They should have just said outright that Machines don't experience time the way humans do, and the Oracle was feeding those dreams to Neo wirelessly.)

Quote
Trinity's death is bad scriptwriting, because while the first one was a sacrifice, the second was basically an accident.
It's not a sacrifice at all. Trinity has no idea she's walking into certain death. It always kind of annoyed me that Neo doesn't tell Trinity that he has visions of the future, and that's why she needs to stay out of the Matrix.

Quote
Terminator: Salvation seems to have killed any plans for future Terminator movies, at least for now.
Nope, there are plans for another Terminator film with Swarzenegger. And a Conan film.
 
Shaddim May 8, 2013 03:27 PM
Quote, Originally Posted by lpkmckenna (Post 4229688)
Care to explain your view on that?
Nope. I'd rather not see this thread get punted into the PL.
 
The Final Dakar May 8, 2013 03:34 PM
Quote, Originally Posted by Stogieman (Post 4229687)
I unapologetically love Monica Bellucci's cleavage.
I really hated her role in the movie.
 
lpkmckenna May 8, 2013 04:27 PM
Quote, Originally Posted by Shaddim (Post 4229698)
Nope. I'd rather not see this thread get punted into the PL.
Then start a new thread in the PL. I'll be there.

Besides, the fact that you actually think a discussion of "gnosticism" would be controversial enough to be PL material has perked my ears.

And yes, "gnosticism" is a phoney concept. The early church arbitrarily labelled anything they though was anti-Jewish or anti-physical as "gnostic." The word is really meaningless.
 
Stogieman May 8, 2013 05:04 PM
Quote, Originally Posted by The Final Dakar (Post 4229701)
I really hated her role in the movie.
http://img.pandawhale.com/45021-will...g-you-yd3a.gif
 
P May 8, 2013 06:26 PM
Quote, Originally Posted by lpkmckenna (Post 4229688)
I don't think it's obnoxious or silly. After reaching the Architect, Neo becomes aware that he is wirelessly connected to the Matrix at all times, (and probably always was), so he can signal to any Machine in the real world to shut down or self-detonate. It's basically Neo hacking Machines, which I think feeds back into the theme of the film. My only complaint about it is that it's unnecessary; it doesn't actually help Neo gain access to the Machine city. The persistent wireless connection also explains how Neo reconnects into the Matrix when he drops into a coma.
But this is what is silly. If he has a persistent wifi connection (or whatever the solution is, I've heard many proposals and didn't pick up any of them myself when watching), he's no longer human - he's something else. Which breaks the entire Jesus complex thing.

Quote, Originally Posted by lpkmckenna (Post 4229688)
Frankly, the biggest unexplained power is Neo's (and Oracle's) knowledge of the future. It's a key part of all three films, but can't be explained by "being in the Matrix." (They should have just said outright that Machines don't experience time the way humans do, and the Oracle was feeding those dreams to Neo wirelessly.)
No, the biggest flaw is that the entire Matrix idea is horribly inefficient. If they can somehow make food despite the sun being out, just ferment it into ethanol and burn it. They avoid this by saying "combined with a kind of fusion" to get themselves an out, but its still a big hole. The Oracle "seeing the future" has some sort of handwaving explanation.

Quote, Originally Posted by lpkmckenna (Post 4229688)
It's not a sacrifice at all. Trinity has no idea she's walking into certain death. It always kind of annoyed me that Neo doesn't tell Trinity that he has visions of the future, and that's why she needs to stay out of the Matrix.
Unless she's an absolute idiot, she must have figured out that he has some sort of special knowledge.

Quote, Originally Posted by lpkmckenna (Post 4229688)
Nope, there are plans for another Terminator film with Swarzenegger. And a Conan film.
With a different script, different planned cast, different timeframe and different people behind it. Also it is nowhere near certain that it will happen. The planned 5 and 6 were effectively cancelled by the bad reception Salvation got.
 
lpkmckenna May 8, 2013 07:18 PM
Quote, Originally Posted by P (Post 4229731)
No, the biggest flaw is that the entire Matrix idea is horribly inefficient. If they can somehow make food despite the sun being out, just ferment it into ethanol and burn it.
Yeah, they screwed this up because they assumed the audience was too stupid. The original plan was: the captives in the Matrix weren't batteries, they were components in an organic computer, and the machines were using our brains as nodes in a distributed computing system. The Matrix was just to keep us docile. They dumbed down this idea for the film, which is too bad.

Quote
Unless she's an absolute idiot, she must have figured out that he has some sort of special knowledge.
Foreknowledge of the future is not something I would have expected her to assume he had.

Quote
With a different script, different planned cast, different timeframe and different people behind it. Also it is nowhere near certain that it will happen. The planned 5 and 6 were effectively cancelled by the bad reception Salvation got.
Nothing is certain, except they do want to bring Arnold back as the Terminator.

Besides, my point stands: a bad film doesn't kill a franchise. As long as they studio thinks they have story they can tell, they will give it a shot. They're just leaving money on the table otherwise.
 
Shaddim May 8, 2013 08:15 PM
Quote, Originally Posted by lpkmckenna (Post 4229709)
Then start a new thread in the PL. I'll be there.

Besides, the fact that you actually think a discussion of "gnosticism" would be controversial enough to be PL material has perked my ears.

And yes, "gnosticism" is a phoney concept. The early church arbitrarily labelled anything they though was anti-Jewish or anti-physical as "gnostic." The word is really meaningless.
You ruined it by trying too hard.
 
lpkmckenna May 8, 2013 09:16 PM
Quote, Originally Posted by Shaddim (Post 4229761)
You ruined it by trying too hard.
Whatever that means. :rolleyes:
 
Shaddim May 9, 2013 02:09 AM
Quote, Originally Posted by lpkmckenna (Post 4229771)
Whatever that means. :rolleyes:
:thumbsup:
 
reader50 May 9, 2013 04:12 AM
July 19 if you live in the UK.
 
The Final Dakar May 9, 2013 12:46 PM
Quote, Originally Posted by Stogieman (Post 4229715)
It's not like you see her tits or anything.

---

KIck-ass 2: Are there a lot of Kick-Ass fans? Other than finding myself being wildly inappropriate and disturbingly smitten with the Hit Girl character, this movie isn't even on my radar.
 
Shaddim May 10, 2013 11:24 PM
Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D has been green-lighted by ABC, produced by Joss Whedon. #intrigued
 
besson3c May 11, 2013 03:11 AM
Quote, Originally Posted by olePigeon (Post 4229329)
Can't forget the most important movie of the summer: RiffTrax Live: Twilight

Thanks for passing this on!
 
angelmb May 11, 2013 01:22 PM
 
Stogieman May 12, 2013 04:01 PM
My three most anticipated movies this summer were Iron Man 3, Star Trek into Darkness and Man of Steel. Iron Man 3 was a letdown and I just read a spoiler review of Star Trek into Darkness posted in another forum I visit. It's not looking good.

STAR TREK INTO DARKNESS
SPOILER REVIEW!!!


Eh...more like a rant.
 
 
The Final Dakar May 13, 2013 10:42 AM
Quote, Originally Posted by Stogieman (Post 4230243)
My three most anticipated movies this summer were Iron Man 3, Star Trek into Darkness and Man of Steel. Iron Man 3 was a letdown and I just read a spoiler review of Star Trek into Darkness posted in another forum I visit. It's not looking good.

STAR TREK INTO DARKNESS
SPOILER REVIEW!!!


Eh...more like a rant.
 
http://cdn.overclock.net/5/58/357x29...p_clap_gif.gif

I read the synopsis on wiki a few days back and just shook my head. I'll give it a hate-watch when it comes to Netflix.
 
andi*pandi May 13, 2013 10:57 AM
but, but, benedict cumberbatch!
 
The Final Dakar May 13, 2013 04:35 PM
I forgot to mention that I can't wait for the inevitable Plinkett review
 
reader50 May 13, 2013 05:11 PM
I've given up on Star Trek movies since Abrams took over. His plot-free (and science-free) treatment may work out for Star Wars. But this isn't what Star Trek is supposed to be.
 
The Final Dakar May 13, 2013 05:17 PM
New Trek movies are a true Kobayashi Maru scenario.
 
Leonard May 13, 2013 05:38 PM
Quote, Originally Posted by Hawkeye_a (Post 4229147)
Looks like it's movie season again, and there are quite a few I'm looking forward to this year.

Just watched Iron Man 3, it was ok.

Looking forward to:
-Star Trek: Into Darkness
-Man Of Steel
-Pacific Rim

Am I missing any?
That would be the START of my list, then:

Fast and Furious 6
The Lone Ranger (gotta see Johny Depp's Tonto)
Monsters University (I like animated films)
Riddick
RIPD
Wolverine
Dispicable Me 2 (I thought it was 2014, but IMDB lists it in July 2013)

Hmmmm... I'm probably missing several other ones I want to see...
 
lpkmckenna May 13, 2013 08:18 PM
Quote, Originally Posted by The Final Dakar (Post 4230362)
I forgot to mention that I can't wait for the inevitable Plinkett review
That guy does't deserve the adulation he gets. Getting famous by shooting fish in a barrel is barely above getting famous for making an ass of yourself on YouTube.
 
besson3c May 13, 2013 09:01 PM
Elysium looks like it could be really interesting...
 
exca1ibur May 13, 2013 09:02 PM
Quote, Originally Posted by reader50 (Post 4230370)
I've given up on Star Trek movies since Abrams took over. His plot-free (and science-free) treatment may work out for Star Wars. But this isn't what Star Trek is supposed to be.
:thumbsup: They are just action movies in space. NOTHING about them is true Star Trek movie. I have big worries with even Star Wars, but I'll wait to pass judgement till it becomes a bit more final.
 
The Final Dakar May 14, 2013 11:04 AM
Quote, Originally Posted by lpkmckenna (Post 4230388)
That guy does't deserve the adulation he gets. Getting famous by shooting fish in a barrel is barely above getting famous for making an ass of yourself on YouTube.
Hahaha! Oh man, I saw this post coming a mile away.
 
besson3c May 18, 2013 12:15 AM
Quote, Originally Posted by reader50 (Post 4230370)
I've given up on Star Trek movies since Abrams took over. His plot-free (and science-free) treatment may work out for Star Wars. But this isn't what Star Trek is supposed to be.

Just got back from seeing the Star Trek movie, and I agree whole-heartedly.

Rebooting Star Trek was extremely tricky, but you don't do so by adhering to all of the modern movie formulas and throwing a bone to Star Trek nerds by bad recreations of catch phrases and moments.

I'm tired of all of the super hero box office formulas - the same musical score, the same cheese factor, the same endless explosions and CGI, the same story lines. Star Trek needed to take the spirit of the original series and do something new with it, not make the same movie that has been done 20934820934 times.
 
All times are GMT -4. The time now is 09:26 PM.

Copyright © 2005-2007 MacNN. All rights reserved.
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8
Copyright ©2000 - 2016, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.


Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.3.2