MacNN Forums (http://forums.macnn.com/)
-   MacNN Lounge (http://forums.macnn.com/macnn-lounge/)
-   -   iOS 7 icons (http://forums.macnn.com/89/macnn-lounge/501335/ios-7-icons/)

mindwaves Jun 10, 2013 10:57 PM
iOS 7 icons
Apple - iOS 7 - Design

http://images.apple.com/ios/ios7/des..._screen_2x.jpg

I think they look beautiful, much better than the iOS 6 icons. But that Safari icon is ugly.

Demonhood Jun 10, 2013 11:01 PM
Agreed. I really like Game Center and Photos. I've had quite enough of the blue-centric icons.

subego Jun 10, 2013 11:40 PM
I don't think that background is a good choice.

Tiresias Jun 11, 2013 01:36 AM
I love it. Can't wait for the update.

boy8cookie Jun 11, 2013 02:03 AM
Clock: minutes hand is too long, seconds hand is unnecessary.

Maps: the green on the top left draws too much attention, it should be beige like the rest of the icon.

Notes: Lose the "perforated" line

Reminders: Lose the top most line

Game Center: the bubbles should be flatter, the red bubble has too much orange at the bottom.

Settings: should go back to iOS 6 style, what's the point of gears if they don't connect?

Phone: Really? a handset from 1999? in 2013?

Safari: the white outer portion should be the gray from the settings icon.

I may try my hand at these changes in a PSD just to see what you guys think.

Jawbone54 Jun 11, 2013 02:32 AM
The "flat" design is getting all the attention, but good grief, look at those colors. I really like it.

Phileas Jun 11, 2013 07:00 AM
The phone is a really interesting choice. Almost all phone icons, on any Os, reference a phone design that went out of use decades ago. I am not sure what the alternative could be.

Also, why the inconsistency? Some icons have a graduated background, some don't. What's with that? And skeuomorphism has managed to sneak back in on the note icon - just remove the top line already.

MacinTommy Jun 11, 2013 11:07 AM
Quote, Originally Posted by subego (Post 4234331)
I don't think that background is a good choice.
I agree... I posted this in the iPhone sub but can someone with iOS7 beta do a screen shot of the icons with a darker/black/slate background?

ghporter Jun 11, 2013 11:20 AM
I think they look kind of "simplified," and not necessarily in a good way. Flat, pastel in a lot of cases, just not terribly inviting for me. Maybe it's just something I'll get used to.

andi*pandi Jun 11, 2013 11:28 AM
Agreed about the safari icon and the clock... the hands are too long. I think the calendar icon could use a red bar again (like video and notes), and the thin type is harder to read.

The photos icon reminds me of something... the Snapseed logo? Picasa? No. Hmm.

The colors seem overly bright to me.

Phileas, about the phone icon... recently a young friend received an old-skool style handset that plugs into the iPhone. It didn't even seem like a joke gift. So the young set does know what a handset looks like. ;)

Good eye on the gradients. I noticed it on the itunes vs passbook. It looks better going dark to light as in the weather or mail icons... but some don't seem to have any, and some have just a nice dark overlay.

osiris Jun 11, 2013 12:05 PM
It looks like a 15 yr old Japanese girl designed an OS. Ugh.

Tiresias Jun 11, 2013 12:09 PM
Quote, Originally Posted by boy8cookie (Post 4234348)
Clock: minutes hand is too long, seconds hand is unnecessary.
Meh. Bit nitpicky. On real clocks minute hands do touch the numeral. Without the red second hand it would be a bit spartan IMO.

Maps: the green on the top left draws too much attention, it should be beige like the rest of the icon.
It cuts up the monotony a little; gives the icon a bit of visual bite. I don't mind it.

Notes: Lose the "perforated" line
At first I thought it would look too barren but I think you're right. It represents the remaining part of a torn off page and I thought this update was all about jettisoning the skeuomorphisms.

Reminders: Lose the top most line
Really? It's vertically symmetrical with the bottom-most line.

Game Center: the bubbles should be flatter, the red bubble has too much orange at the bottom.
I totally agree but didn't notice until you mentioned it. It's the only 3Dish graphic and totally doesn't mesh with the rest. Good call.

Settings: should go back to iOS 6 style, what's the point of gears if they don't connect?
Hadn't thought of that but I agree. It's illogical.

Phone: Really? a handset from 1999? in 2013?
It's fine. To me it's the universal symbol for phone just as a road sign with a knife and fork is the universal symbol for "Food Ahead" whether or not those utensils with be used in the consumption thereof.

Safari: the white outer portion should be the gray from the settings icon.
I agree 100 percent.

Only thing to add: Newstand looks pretty cruddy the more you look at it. Too much going on a too little balance. What about a simple graphic representing a folded newspaper—or something?

A graphic symbol should be readable at a single glance. What they've done is more like an illustration.

subego Jun 11, 2013 12:42 PM
Quote, Originally Posted by osiris (Post 4234423)
It looks like a 15 yr old Japanese girl designed an OS. Ugh.
It feels very "android", which to me means "customized by someone with no taste".

BlueSky Jun 11, 2013 12:50 PM
They're inevitable, and IMO a lazy and predictable direction. After years of gloss and bevels, where else is there to go?

andi*pandi Jun 11, 2013 01:15 PM
To someplace consistent?

Tiresias Jun 11, 2013 01:16 PM
But they're much easier on the eye with far less visual information to process.

Perhaps that's a natural direction to take given the size of a smartphone screen how much time people spend staring at it.

andi*pandi Jun 11, 2013 01:18 PM
looking at that screen cap makes me want to turn the brightness down on my monitor.

osiris Jun 11, 2013 01:21 PM
Quote, Originally Posted by subego (Post 4234437)
It feels very "android", which to me means "customized by someone with no taste".
Harsh comparison, but unfortunately true.

Hawkeye_a Jun 11, 2013 01:30 PM
Not a fan of the color palette. It looks too 'neon'. The flat look is alright, but the colors are off putting for me.

Also on the few screenshots i've seen, the fonts are all inconsistent. Some skinny, others bold, some small, others big, etc... looks kinda messy.

The gradient style makes it look like clip art. I think I prefer the icons and fonts on iOS6.

Waragainstsleep Jun 11, 2013 02:14 PM
Is it me or does the shine on the Game Centre bubbles look out of place next to all the other flat icons?

The Godfather Jun 11, 2013 02:19 PM
Looks and feels like Gmail had a drunken night with a Zune.
Will avoid until it is toned down.

P Jun 11, 2013 02:20 PM
Quote, Originally Posted by Waragainstsleep (Post 4234467)
Is it me or does the shine on the Game Centre bubbles look out of place next to all the other flat icons?
Newsstand as well - they both have depth.

Phileas Jun 11, 2013 02:24 PM
Quote, Originally Posted by subego (Post 4234437)
I was just looking at the icon set I am currently using on my Nexus and thought that it looked a lot better than the new iOS style. Which is something I would have never thought I'd do just two years back.

MacinTommy Jun 11, 2013 05:28 PM
For anyone wondering like I was.... I think it looks good with a black background. (Thanks @dlwilson)
http://i.imgur.com/5A9SEby.png

subego Jun 11, 2013 07:09 PM
Quote, Originally Posted by Phileas (Post 4234474)
I was just looking at the icon set I am currently using on my Nexus and thought that it looked a lot better than the new iOS style. Which is something I would have never thought I'd do just two years back.
Post it again so I can tease you again for having Pintrest on your home screen. :P;)

subego Jun 11, 2013 09:49 PM
I do want to be clear though, it was obvious by what your particular home screen looked like it was most definitely customized by someone with taste. :)

jmiddel Jun 12, 2013 02:48 AM
I know this is yet unfinished, and it shows. The lack of consistency is annoying, as is the sameness of the Photos and GameCenter motifs, and the fugly Newsstand app is a bit similar to those two, but not. clash. Couple of colors are Windows Metro like in their rawness. And it looks a bit child oriented in its simplistic graphics in Reminders, Notes etc. And of course the old style gradients vs the flat look. Do we need so many bright colors? When does color become an excess of information as opposed to a helpful reminder? It's a very promising mess. Like.

Doc HM Jun 12, 2013 02:59 AM
Quick survey of random associates showing them iOS7 on my dev phone. 9 users "ugh" 1 user, "It's OK"
Flat is fine, the colours however are far too garish. Green is way to neon, absolutely no sophistication at all. Consistency is poor across logos, Safari is simply appalling, so is weather, settings, notes, stock, newsstand is a joke, right, photos, like game centre seems to come from another place entirely. Folders need a rethink.
Thank god its an early beta.

Spheric Harlot Jun 12, 2013 03:13 AM
This will be fine and necessary on a new low-end iphone available in six colors.

Tiresias Jun 12, 2013 08:25 AM
It's odd that the camera app is now a SLR camera circa 1970 instead of just a lens and thus MORE skeuomorphic than before.

Hawkeye_a Jun 12, 2013 11:20 AM
Something occurred to me regarding the new color palette.....

The bright reds,pink,green and blues.remind me a lot of HongKong/China. Hmmmm

MacinTommy Jun 12, 2013 11:58 AM
Here's a gallery of iOS 7 with a slate/gray rock background. I like!
iOS7 - Imgur

Laminar Jun 12, 2013 11:58 AM
Quote, Originally Posted by boy8cookie (Post 4234348)
http://www.apptactics.net/wp-content...tings-icon.jpg

Tiresias Jun 12, 2013 03:27 PM
Shhhh.

Close your eyes. Open your mind.

:cry:

subego Jun 12, 2013 03:47 PM
Quote, Originally Posted by Tiresias (Post 4234622)
It's odd that the camera app is now a SLR camera circa 1970 instead of just a lens and thus MORE skeuomorphic than before.
A flat lens is a circle.

pooka Jun 12, 2013 04:46 PM
Having played with it, it seems... really unfinished. And kind of gross. The timer. Holy shit.

Doc HM Jun 13, 2013 05:21 AM
small thing I know but I find the switching between pure icon (photos) and absurdly literal (notes) to be jarring. It shouts out that they are struggling with a unified graphic language.

I know iOS6 did this as well but the overruling visual ID was the gloss and 3D, strip that out and you really need a stronger visual hook than just "flat"

Tiresias Jun 13, 2013 08:03 AM
Quote, Originally Posted by subego (Post 4234755)
A flat lens is a circle.
Yeah, I guess.

ajprice Jun 13, 2013 08:26 AM
Jony Ive Put Apple's Marketing Team in Charge of iOS 7 Icon Design - Mac Rumors

"The site goes on to note that the design is "firmly a 'work in progress'", and that the look and feel of the icons and other new UI bits are likely to change significantly as the iOS 7 beta proceeds."

badidea Jun 13, 2013 09:16 AM
...and what about all the 3rd party icons in iOS7? They will all have to get new icons for iOS7 or this will just look like a weird mixture of styles!?

andi*pandi Jun 13, 2013 09:49 AM
3rd party icons have always been a weird mixture of styles. Some followed apple's skeu instructions, some didn't. Some have their own bizarre branding policies to follow.

I just spent 3 months designing an icon, just a logo and a slight gradient, back and forth, different gradients, different colors... and ultimately marketing decided to go with a plain white background because it was more "brand friendly".

Marketing should never be put in control of design. :bicker: Everything becomes idea soup, tasting like either bland nothing or overkill horribleness.

shifuimam Jun 13, 2013 10:18 AM
The colors on that music icon sure look familiar...

http://shifuimam.com/misc/zune.jpg

Phileas Jun 13, 2013 11:37 AM
Quote, Originally Posted by andi*pandi (Post 4234882)
I just spent 3 months designing an icon, just a logo and a slight gradient, back and forth, different gradients, different colors... and ultimately marketing decided to go with a plain white background because it was more "brand friendly".
I'm glad your time was spent wisely.

Hawkeye_a Jun 13, 2013 11:48 AM
Quote, Originally Posted by andi*pandi (Post 4234882)
Everything becomes idea soup...
Quite frankly.... that's what iOS7 UI looks like right now to me.

And the more I look at the icons and color the more it looks gaudy and ghastly.

EDIT>> WTF is the game center icon supposed to be? multi-colored bubbles? How would anyone equate that with games? wouldn't something like a rubik's cube or a dice or something like that be more effective at communicating?

Laminar Jun 13, 2013 12:11 PM
Quote, Originally Posted by Hawkeye_a (Post 4234905)
wouldn't something like a rubik's cube or a dice or something like that be more effective at communicating?
Perhaps they should incorporate some green felt texture to really drive home the "game room" image.

andi*pandi Jun 13, 2013 12:36 PM
Quote, Originally Posted by Phileas (Post 4234898)
I'm glad your time was spent wisely.
Oh, the last year has been spent "wisely." :brick:

Phileas Jun 13, 2013 12:50 PM
Quote, Originally Posted by Laminar (Post 4234915)
Perhaps they should incorporate some green felt texture to really drive home the "game room" image.
I think that's a brilliant idea. That would make it look like a gaming table.

andi*pandi Jun 13, 2013 12:57 PM

Phileas Jun 13, 2013 01:19 PM
The next industry ripe for interruption - baking.

osiris Jun 13, 2013 02:53 PM
Quote, Originally Posted by Laminar (Post 4234680)
Use the force. Be the gears.