MacNN Forums (http://forums.macnn.com/)
-   MacNN Lounge (http://forums.macnn.com/macnn-lounge/)
-   -   Unabashedly Samsung (http://forums.macnn.com/89/macnn-lounge/504387/unabashedly-samsung/)

OreoCookie Sep 25, 2013 12:38 PM
Unabashedly Samsung
So a golden/champagne is released and suddenly, out of the blue, Samsung releases a golden Galaxy S4 :lol:

osiris Sep 25, 2013 12:56 PM
Oy vey.

Spheric Harlot Sep 25, 2013 01:25 PM
Five days.

Just long enough to gauge whether Apple's model might be successful, and to hit the lull after initial iPhone shipments are sold out, and potential buyers grow impatient waiting for their own.

"Brilliant" mother****ers. :D

OreoCookie Sep 25, 2013 02:31 PM
I found their move to release an iWatch before Apple even more ridiculous: only based on humors. I bet some guys in Jony Ive's lab were laughing their rear-ends off.

Spheric Harlot Sep 25, 2013 03:12 PM
"Some"?

All of them.

All that money, blown on a useless product crippled due to abysmally shitty battery life and not-solving-a-need, just to be able to claim innovation ahead of Apple for once in a lifetime...

You're right. That's even more pathetic

BLAZE_MkIV Sep 25, 2013 03:38 PM
So Apple should start rumors with all the product ideas that they don't use to get Samsung to push out tons of bad products.

The Final Dakar Sep 25, 2013 03:39 PM
Man, I bet the guy who has to guard against corporate espionage at apple must have a stressful job.

subego Sep 25, 2013 03:43 PM
Quote, Originally Posted by BLAZE_MkIV (Post 4249758)
So Apple should start rumors with all the product ideas that they don't use to get Samsung to push out tons of bad products.
I feel like Google has done this to Microsoft before.

Spheric Harlot Sep 25, 2013 04:03 PM
Can't be. That would be evil.

The Final Dakar Sep 25, 2013 04:07 PM
Quote, Originally Posted by Spheric Harlot (Post 4249766)
Can't be. That would be evil.
Doesn't count against Microsoft.

P Sep 25, 2013 04:08 PM
MS is not the evil empire anymore - they're just pathetic.

subego Sep 25, 2013 04:08 PM
Quote, Originally Posted by The Final Dakar (Post 4249767)
Doesn't count against Microsoft.
Yup. It's funny when it happens to them.

ort888 Sep 25, 2013 04:23 PM
[android neckbeard] guh, apple didn't invent a gold phone... there have been gold phones before, apple copied them... and the 5C is a copy of the Nokia Lumia line anyway...[ /android neckbeard]

I've actually seen people assert these things today without a trace of irony.

Shaddim Sep 25, 2013 06:24 PM
Yack, and I thought the golden iPhone was tacky... :err:

OreoCookie Sep 25, 2013 07:08 PM
The golden one doesn't look that bad actually, I've held one for a minute or so last weekend, but I wouldn't buy it. They nailed the gun metal gray one, that one is gorgeous. I still don't like the white/silver one.

Just to be clear, I don't mind what Samsung is doing, I just find it pathetic.

mattyb Sep 26, 2013 06:49 AM
Quote, Originally Posted by OreoCookie (Post 4249790)
Just to be clear, I don't mind what Samsung is doing, I just find it pathetic.
Its brilliant. It makes other companies offer other products without the Samsung coating, for the products that are successful it ensures that Apple doesn't rest on its laurels, and it allows us to laugh when shif posts about how great her Samsung stuff is.

Hawkeye_a Sep 26, 2013 10:10 AM
Quote, Originally Posted by subego (Post 4249769)
Yup. It's funny when it happens to them.
I can't believe i'm saying this, but with the recent mobile wars, i see Microsoft as a more honorable competitor than Google/Samsung. At least their mobile OS effort is different enough that it is offers a clear alternative to iOS (as opposed to Google's copy of BlackBerry and then the iPhone).

OreoCookie Sep 26, 2013 12:10 PM
Quote, Originally Posted by mattyb (Post 4249843)
… it ensures that Apple doesn't rest on its laurels …
That's just it, you're not really pushing Apple if you are happy copying it so literally and come up with pseudo-innovations.

mattyb Sep 26, 2013 12:29 PM
Quote, Originally Posted by OreoCookie (Post 4249884)
That's just it, you're not really pushing Apple if you are happy copying it so literally and come up with pseudo-innovations.
You are because customers will fall for the copy at a lower price. You have to innovate in order to persuade the customer that the difference is worth paying for. IMHO what Apple has been doing so well for the last few years.

OreoCookie Sep 26, 2013 04:07 PM
Quote, Originally Posted by mattyb (Post 4249889)
You are because customers will fall for the copy at a lower price. You have to innovate in order to persuade the customer that the difference is worth paying for. IMHO what Apple has been doing so well for the last few years.
Exactly: people can »copy« Apple's hardware, but they cannot copy iOS.

subego Sep 26, 2013 04:11 PM
You're paying Apple the premium for customer service.

You can't walk into the Samsung store with a shattered phone and walk out with a new one for free, or a couple hundred dollars.

Shaddim Sep 26, 2013 05:12 PM
Quote, Originally Posted by subego (Post 4249944)
You're paying Apple the premium for customer service.

You can't walk into the Samsung store with a shattered phone and walk out with a new one for free, or a couple hundred dollars.
That's why my main phone is still an iPhone.

subego Sep 26, 2013 05:17 PM
Razor thin margins on a complicated technical device is a tough row to hoe, as the PC industry is learning. One support call and you've lost money.

Phileas Sep 26, 2013 09:12 PM
Quote, Originally Posted by OreoCookie (Post 4249943)
Exactly: people can »copy« Apple's hardware, but they cannot copy iOS.
Thing is, in my opinion, Apple's hardware is still superior to pretty much anything out there. It's the OS where things fall down for me.

Cold Warrior Sep 26, 2013 09:43 PM