MacNN Forums (http://forums.macnn.com/)
-   MacNN Lounge (http://forums.macnn.com/macnn-lounge/)
-   -   Yet another car thread (http://forums.macnn.com/89/macnn-lounge/504708/yet-another-car-thread/)

mattyb Oct 5, 2013 11:23 AM
Yet another car thread
I'm looking for a new car. Well I've actually been looking for about 2 years but we really want to get a new one before the end of the year. We have an estate/station wagon and we've decided (the wife decided) that we want a monospace/people carrier. Mrs. Mattyb likes the idea of being higher and to be honest, I like sitting rather than reclining in a car (I'd get a pick-up with a large cabin if I had my own way). Looked at all the models on the French market and have tested quite a few.

This afternoon I got into a C-Max with a three cylinder, 1.0L, 125HP petrol engine. What an amazing little motor!! When I saw that Ford were putting it into the Fiesta and Focus I thought OK fair enough. Then to put it into a people carrier - who's idea was that? Well I really was pleasently surprised by the performance. No, it doesn't have 140 or 150 HP like most of the other models that I tested, but it does have low down grunt. I accelerated smoothly away at the lights and fast enough to not worry about getting hit in the arse. In 6th at 120kmph I could hardly hear it.

That triple is great. Anyone else tried them? VERY tempted to splash the cash.

is not Oct 5, 2013 02:02 PM
Not tested, but I have heard very nice things about that engine.

Laminar Oct 8, 2013 09:49 AM
Car and Driver really liked it in the Fiesta. Its 123hp/148ft-lb really seems diesel-like and should be much better to drive than the Fiesta's standard 1.6.

mindwaves Oct 8, 2013 10:52 AM
I sat in a US Fiesta last year and was not impressed. I know it is a cheap car, but the materials were very ugly and very cheap looking. I didn't drive it because I was put off with the multi-colored fabric used on the seats.

mattyb Oct 8, 2013 03:12 PM
Quote, Originally Posted by Laminar (Post 4251655)
Car and Driver really liked it in the Fiesta. Its 123hp/148ft-lb really seems diesel-like and should be much better to drive than the Fiesta's standard 1.6.
Yes, it is diesel-like. You didn't have to rev it much to get it moving at a decent speed. However, after reflecting, I'm going the true diesel route. Its cheaper than petrol here in France and the performance is acceptable for an old fart like me. Doubt that I'll get a C-Max, although still not sure what people carrier/MPV to get.

boy8cookie Oct 8, 2013 09:38 PM
Tesla.

angelmb Oct 8, 2013 10:11 PM
Quote, Originally Posted by mattyb (Post 4251718)
… although still not sure what people carrier/MPV to get.
I am putting the blame on van den Acker for your state of doubt.

is not Oct 9, 2013 12:29 PM
What cars are you taking into consideration?

mattyb Oct 12, 2013 06:32 AM
Ford C-Max, Kia Carens (bit too plasticy), Citroen C4 Picasso.

Already tested Peugeot 5008 and 3008.

Maybe the VW Touran.

is not Oct 12, 2013 10:51 AM
Consider a Scenic before van den Acker ruins it :D

mattyb Oct 13, 2013 06:26 AM
You can't fold the seats flat in a Scenic. That also counts out the Ford, which I tested yesterday. The Kia is impressive, but not as nice to drive as the Ford. Some of the comments about Kia on French forums have me worried. They don't have a good network of garages so it seems that when there is an issue, there are problems actually getting the car sorted out.

Didn't get to test the Picasso. Going to try and organise something for the Touran and Opel's (GM) Zafira as well.

mattyb Oct 27, 2013 11:55 AM
So, tested the Opel (GM) Zafira Tourer, Honda CRV, Ford Grand C-Max, VW Tiguan. And re-tested some of those that I'd tested before.

VW : cheapo plastic and noisy. Same dashboard in the Touran so didn't even bother testing it.
Zafira Tourer : no leg room - same problem as in the 5008 and 3008.
Honda CRV : noisy, sounds like a truck.
Citroen C4 : since its a new product, they can't cut prices as much. Very nice though, bit worried about getting something so new on the market.

And the winner is : Ford Grand C-Max (seats fold flat in the bigger one), 2.0L TDCi making 140HP. Titanium + sun roof, tinted windows and some other stuff that I can't remember. Should get in mid-November.

ajprice Oct 27, 2013 02:07 PM
Nice. What made you go for the 2.0 diesel over the 1.0 Ecoboost you originally drove?

mattyb Oct 27, 2013 04:05 PM
30 centimes per litre difference. Diesel is cheap in France, although I'm not sure for how much longer. I have a petrol car and nobody wants to buy a petrol car in France, thinking of resale value.

I also wanted more power and the 140HP diesel is gorgeouos to drive - tested in the normal C-Max.

Finally, that Ford 2L diesel is doing 130km/hr at 2000rpm - you hardly hear it. Our present 2L is at 3500rpm and the noise drives me crazy.

ajprice Oct 27, 2013 04:33 PM
Diesel is 30 centimes CHEAPER???!?!

Here it's about £1.29 per litre for petrol, £1.36 for diesel (best prices, you can pay a lot more at independent places or for Shell V Power / BP Optimax etc. that have higher ron, additives and magically give you more power and better mpg.

Edit: waits for the Americans to say their stuff is 50 cent per gallon and OMGWTF...Yes it takes £40 to fill my Smart with about 30 litres of petrol. Isn't tax great!

mattyb Oct 28, 2013 07:41 AM
Quote, Originally Posted by ajprice (Post 4254511)
Diesel is 30 centimes CHEAPER???!?!

Here it's about £1.29 per litre for petrol, £1.36 for diesel (best prices, you can pay a lot more at independent places or for Shell V Power / BP Optimax etc. that have higher ron, additives and magically give you more power and better mpg.

Edit: waits for the Americans to say their stuff is 50 cent per gallon and OMGWTF...Yes it takes £40 to fill my Smart with about 30 litres of petrol. Isn't tax great!
Yes, France is in love with diesel vehicles due to the price difference. Diesels are more expensive to buy, and apparently slightly more costly to service. 95E10 was 1.45€ this morning for my little runabout.

Since it pollutes more the Gov are making threats to tax it more. If they did change it now, there would be rioting everywhere - and not just in Brittany for the Eco-tax on trucks and agricultural vehicles.

Laminar Oct 28, 2013 09:31 AM
Quote, Originally Posted by ajprice (Post 4254511)
Gas just dropped below $3.00/US gallon here this weekend which is...what... €0.56/L?

The Final Dakar Oct 28, 2013 09:36 AM
No pics of the badboy? It looks like a mini-minivan

mattyb Oct 28, 2013 05:57 PM
http://carlook.net/data/db_photos/fo...81_800x534.jpg

The deal involved one that just came out of the factory, so it'll be white. Doesn't look too much like an ambulance (IMHO) though.

EDIT : specs are : Titanium, Panoramic Pack (sunroof, tinted rear windows), spare tyre instead of the kit, it'll have that roof rack (didn't know that you normally have to pay to have it), 7 seats (but the last row is only really for kids or dwarves). 5 year guarantee. Yes those are sliding rear doors. Makes the car heavier but the 140HP motor has enough ooomph.

angelmb Oct 29, 2013 03:20 AM
Quote, Originally Posted by mattyb (Post 4254693)

The deal involved one that just came out of the factory, so it'll be white.
Put a white Apple sticker on it. :)

mattyb Oct 29, 2013 08:15 AM
Quote, Originally Posted by The Final Dakar (Post 4254581)
No pics of the badboy? It looks like a mini-minivan
Then there's the B-Max :

http://s1.cdn.autoevolution.com/imag...ed-42534_1.jpg

is not Oct 29, 2013 03:09 PM
Did you get a discount? As I see Ford has forgotten the B-Pillar :D

ajprice Oct 30, 2013 05:18 AM
The car with no B pillar is the B Max, it's based on the Fiesta. mattyb is getting the C Max that he posted a picture of earlier.

Spheric Harlot Oct 30, 2013 06:55 AM
Quote, Originally Posted by mattyb (Post 4254507)
30 centimes per litre difference. Diesel is cheap in France, although I'm not sure for how much longer. I have a petrol car and nobody wants to buy a petrol car in France, thinking of resale value.
Interesting.

In Germany, Diesel is cheaper (though nobody knows how much longer), but Diesel engines are taxed more highly. Combined with the fact that Diesels typically use less fuel, it's been the case for many years now that a Diesel is worth it financially if you run it more than 15,000 km a year.

Shaddim Oct 30, 2013 08:21 AM
I miss these days:

http://farm8.staticflickr.com/7420/1...f3148f02_o.jpg

The great Lancia D.I. EVO2, what a Hot Hatch.

is not Oct 30, 2013 09:00 AM
ajprice, my fault for wearing no glasses LOL

angelmb Oct 31, 2013 03:54 AM
The car with no B pillar is the B Max
Such a conundrum.

angelmb Oct 31, 2013 04:02 AM
Quote, Originally Posted by Shaddim (Post 4254982)
The great Lancia D.I. EVO2, what a Hot Hatch.
There is one here where I live. Fully restored, owner asks 38000 €.

mattyb Nov 15, 2013 12:36 PM
Got her today (cars are female in France). Pissing down with rain so doubtful photos will be forthcoming. Salesman didn't tell me before, but its got that semi-auto parking (for parallel parking).

The Final Dakar Nov 15, 2013 12:49 PM
Quote, Originally Posted by mattyb (Post 4257579)
Got her today (cars are female in France).
I think its that way everywhere. Continuation of naval tradition.

reader50 Nov 15, 2013 12:57 PM
I thought big pickups were male.

The Final Dakar Nov 15, 2013 12:58 PM
Quote, Originally Posted by reader50 (Post 4257592)
I thought big pickups were male.
She-males.

osiris Nov 15, 2013 02:57 PM
I suppose hybrids are hermaphrodites.

The Final Dakar Nov 15, 2013 03:01 PM
Quote, Originally Posted by osiris (Post 4257611)
I suppose hybrids are hermaphrodites.
Eunuchs.

Edit: Nope you're right. I was thinking electric cars.

osiris Nov 15, 2013 03:03 PM
Quote, Originally Posted by The Final Dakar (Post 4257614)
Eunuchs.

Edit: Nope you're right. I was thinking electric cars.
Yep.:thumbsup:

So what about the pickup trucks? Are they the lesbians of the vehicle world? I lost track of all this already.

The Final Dakar Nov 15, 2013 03:09 PM
Quote, Originally Posted by osiris (Post 4257616)
Yep.:thumbsup:

So what about the pickup trucks? Are they the lesbians of the vehicle world? I lost track of all this already.
Butch ones. SUVs like the RAV4 are lipstick lesbians.

Have we been banned for being offensive yet?

osiris Nov 15, 2013 03:18 PM
Quote, Originally Posted by The Final Dakar (Post 4257618)
Butch ones. SUVs like the RAV4 are lipstick lesbians.

Not yet. Hopefully irreverent humor is still allowed.
:eek:

mattyb Nov 16, 2013 04:02 PM
Quote, Originally Posted by The Final Dakar (Post 4257587)
I think its that way everywhere. Continuation of naval tradition.
Boats are male in France.

Laminar Nov 17, 2013 08:51 AM

ajprice Nov 17, 2013 01:17 PM
The best car name ever was a boy car ;) he even had a moustache.

Hammerhead i Eagle Thrust / Geoff

http://pics.imcdb.org/0ge20/206146-Geoff.jpg
http://www.loxlee-loves-engines.com/...geoff-rear.jpg
http://cdn.bbcamerica.com/brightcove...Id=16764841001

Spheric Harlot Nov 17, 2013 01:54 PM
My car is Betty. A little red 2001 Daihatsu YRV 1.8 Top.

Surprisingly fast (180 kph), and great mileage. And actually fits my complete (small) setup: two keyboards, a stand, music stand, small amp, and a seat. Plus three people including me.

Or my setup and a complete drumset plus me and the drummer.

Amazing car, really.

mattyb Nov 17, 2013 02:07 PM
The semi-auto parking is pretty good. Must load up a small USB key with some tunes for the stereo (only ever listened to radio before). English GPS voice is far nicer than the French voice (too robotic). No run-in for the engine but strange enought there is for the tyres and brakes.

The Final Dakar Nov 17, 2013 02:40 PM
Quote, Originally Posted by mattyb (Post 4257789)
Boats are male in France.
For serious?

mattyb Nov 17, 2013 03:29 PM
Quote, Originally Posted by The Final Dakar (Post 4257874)
For serious?
Yes. Its a masculine word. Le bateau. Anyone that I've ever asked has no idea why some words are masculine or feminine, something to do with latin roots maybe.

Laminar Nov 18, 2013 10:45 AM

BLAZE_MkIV Nov 18, 2013 01:53 PM
Quote, Originally Posted by mattyb (Post 4257877)
Yes. Its a masculine word. Le bateau. Anyone that I've ever asked has no idea why some words are masculine or feminine, something to do with latin roots maybe.
What about ship? There's a difference between a boat and a ship.

mattyb Nov 18, 2013 03:29 PM
Quote, Originally Posted by BLAZE_MkIV (Post 4257991)
What about ship? There's a difference between a boat and a ship.
Navire. Masculine.

Tell T-Rex that in German there are neutral words as well as masculine and feminine.

mattyb Nov 18, 2013 03:36 PM
Getting back to my car ...

Not driven a diesel for years, I'd forgotten how low in the rev range you change gear. The C-Max has a little screen between speedo and rev counter that you can have your mpg, or ave mpg or distance to next fill-up. It also has a little indicator when you should shift up (not yet seen a shift down proposed). Anyhoo, its at 2000rpm. Damn thats low. If you're on a level road, you'll probably drop down to 1500rpm after going from 5th to 6th (all things being equal).

Before buying it, we saw complaints in some forums about the number of buttons on the steering wheel. While there are alot (18 IIRC), once you RTFM and use them a bit, its pretty simple.

Oh yeah, one thing that I don't like is that my Nexus 4 isn't supported for Ford SYNC for Android. WTF? I've got Jelly Bean and the phone isn't THAT old?!?!?

Spheric Harlot Nov 18, 2013 03:37 PM
German:

Das Auto. (the car.* Neutral)
Die Karre. (the car.** Feminine)
Der Wagen. (the car.*** Masculine)

*) root: the automobile.
**) root: the cart - colloquialism for "the car", sometimes "jalopy".
***) root: the waggon. Used for "the car", not necessarily colloquial.

Laminar Nov 18, 2013 03:44 PM
Quote, Originally Posted by mattyb (Post 4258015)
Getting back to my car ...

Not driven a diesel for years, I'd forgotten how low in the rev range you change gear. The C-Max has a little screen between speedo and rev counter that you can have your mpg, or ave mpg or distance to next fill-up. It also has a little indicator when you should shift up (not yet seen a shift down proposed). Anyhoo, its at 2000rpm. Damn thats low. If you're on a level road, you'll probably drop down to 1500rpm after going from 5th to 6th (all things being equal).
My Focus will tell me to shift down if I give it too much throttle below about 1200rpm.

Oh yeah, one thing that I don't like is that my Nexus 4 isn't supported for Ford SYNC for Android. WTF? I've got Jelly Bean and the phone isn't THAT old?!?!?
SYNC is a POS, and no part of its functionality or support is rational. Their current system supports Bluetooth AVRCP 1.0. Version 1.3 allows the device to send artist/title over Bluetooth. The MyFordTouch systems support AVRCP 1.3, but the non-touch screen vehicles don't. Ford has been saying for the past 2 years that they're "currently investigating on including a higher version of AVRCP for a future release (via a SYNC update)". I haven't tried using my Galaxy with my Focus, though it works in the wife's car with MyFordTouch.