MacNN Forums (
-   Networking (
-   -   Can I combine processing power between independent machines? (

questions Aug 24, 2007 09:51 PM
Can I combine processing power between independent machines?
Generally, can an intel mac be used to supply extra processing power, etc. to a power-pc g5. I fear it may be possible but with the roles of the two switched. My desktop is fairly powerful but as im using it as a music production center, running software instruments and the like, my power runs low too soon! I'm considering getting a macbook for my college career, and it would be wondeful if it could indeed serve an additional purpose, namely as a sort of ram donor. Lay it on me, lover.
questions Aug 24, 2007 10:00 PM
can i?
Cold Warrior Aug 24, 2007 11:11 PM
Are you talking about splicing out your rendering jobs across a local network of Macs, so that each job draws from the collective processing power of multiple Macs?
slpdLoad Aug 24, 2007 11:18 PM
From your "ram donor" comment, I don't think you can do what you're talking about. The only way that two computers can share resources is if they are networked together and you're using XGrid software or something. This only works for certain, very specialized programs, however.

You can't just wire some computers together and instantly make them "work together".
Peter Aug 25, 2007 06:54 AM
Please try to use more appropriate / less vague thread titles :)
larkost Aug 25, 2007 03:18 PM
To continue on, the difficulty of splitting processing between different computers is that network speeds are multiple orders of magnitude slower than the data interfaces within a computer. They are so slow that it would take longer just to ship the data over the network than it would be to process it on the same computer. There are certain tasks where this is not true (SETI@Home, DVD rendering, massive scientific computations, etc), but those tasks are unusual in how much processing you have to do per chunk of data, and how easily you can divide the problem into discrete chunks that don't depend on eachother.

None of these conditions are likely for audio jobs, unless you are doing something like transcoding massive numbers of files.
questions Aug 25, 2007 03:29 PM
Thanks for the attitude sldpload! Way to go with that, it's not hypocritical at all. Spend more time outside breathing healthy oxygen, exercising to generate new neurons, and gaining levels of awareness through interaction with new environments.
Alright, now, I know that with Logic 7 it is almost as simple as plug and go. There's a small app. called Node that delegates raw processing resources from an additional mac toward the operations in the main one. 2 Comps. total. I don't use Logic, and don't plan to. But, as there seems to be a utility for most practical concepts you could realistically imagine, I thought I'd take a shortcut to finding it, with the help of some nice, knowledgeable people, and forgo the potential hours of sifting through advertisements and non-relevant results that google turned up. If anyone who happens upon this can point me in the right direction, I am very thankful. Bonsoir *pop*
questions Aug 25, 2007 04:14 PM
That's just the info. I needed Larkost, thanks. In closing I want to briefly apologize for failing to revise my thread title.(I'm somewhat appreciative of the :p initiative taken by an admin.) I am going to save toward a computer specialized for dsp, work on my resolve. Thanks to all who took a look.