MacNN Forums (
-   Networking (
-   -   Airport express does not help with file sharing? (

jeff k Feb 21, 2012 04:27 PM
Airport express does not help with file sharing?
I got airport express and extreme, and the express does seem to help with web surfing in the far living room laptop station. But from the same station, it still seem to lag with my excel files-- saving them, entering info. So does express not help with speed/ ie, via file sharing? only help with web? thanks.
Spheric Harlot Feb 21, 2012 05:47 PM
Hardly any info to go by in your post.

Are you trying to work on an Excel file stored on the iMac, from the laptop? Is this laptop a Mac laptop? How old?

Which version of the Extreme and Express do you have?

What other devices are logged into the wireless network?

Also, if you're working with Office 2004: nothing can help that (except a new version of Office); it's a huge, pokey, mass of steaming cow pat.

Save the file locally on the laptop and edit it from there to compare speeds and see whether this issue actually has anything to do with the network at all..
jeff k Feb 21, 2012 11:00 PM
S, thanks, here some moe info. I doubt it will help. I find that everyone who complains on forums about not enough info, when I give more info, they never have the solution anyway:

It's a white mac laptop about three years old in the living room. It's sharing the excel file originating from the other room.

other devices? ...? packet 8 phone in the router.

Office 2011.

No need to test, it's much slower dealing with the excel file on the mac in the other room. You can feel the sluggishness with saving, changing text.