MacNN Forums (http://forums.macnn.com/)
-   Political/War Lounge (http://forums.macnn.com/political-war-lounge/)
-   -   Major Development on Osama Bin Laden (http://forums.macnn.com/95/political-war-lounge/438675/major-development-on-osama-bin-laden/)

Dork. May 1, 2011 11:46 PM
Major Development on Osama Bin Laden
Turn your TV's on, folks, Obama's up late and about to make a statement....

(NBC just announced that Bin Laden is dead, we'll see....)

Chongo May 1, 2011 11:54 PM
ABC is reporting he was killed in air strike.

lpkmckenna May 1, 2011 11:58 PM
This is interesting.

Cold Warrior May 1, 2011 11:58 PM
Foxnews reporting he's dead. USA action.

stupendousman May 1, 2011 11:59 PM
CONGRATS OBAMA! Seriously.

Dork. May 2, 2011 12:03 AM
They are saying that the death is a result of a US action, and that we recovered his body.
The guy who pulled the trigger (or piloted the drone) is about to become a Big Damn Hero.

Edit: I wonder what's taking so long. Obama can't find Bill Ayers to write his speech for him?

lpkmckenna May 2, 2011 12:07 AM
Thanks for the heads up Dork.

olePigeon May 2, 2011 12:12 AM
Weren't there some issues with the U.N. over using Predator Drones for targeted attacks?

Chongo May 2, 2011 12:16 AM
I remember one theory was Bin Laden was killed soon after the US went in to Afghanistan and we literally had him on ice, and Bush was going to thaw him just before the 2004 election.

Lint Police May 2, 2011 12:20 AM
I am shooting my imaginary AK-47 in the air in celebration.

Shaddim May 2, 2011 12:27 AM
"Hey man, nice shot."

Dork. May 2, 2011 12:27 AM
Quote, Originally Posted by olePigeon (Post 4072701)
Weren't there some issues with the U.N. over using Predator Drones for targeted attacks?
What was that? I can't hear you over the sound of how AWESOME America is!

Oh, wait.... here it is:
BBC News - UN official criticises US over drone attacks

I don't think using drones that's the issue, it's the CIA using drones that's the issue. If the CIA is piloting the drones and ordering strikes and civilians get targeted instead, it's unlikely we'll ever find out who is responsible. At least if the Military does it, there's procedures in place to hold someone accountable. But clandestine operatives, by definition, are not accountable to anyone except the President.

lpkmckenna May 2, 2011 12:30 AM
I don't think this was a drone operation. Special forces in Pakistan made the kill, I think.

besson3c May 2, 2011 12:30 AM
Quote, Originally Posted by Dork. (Post 4072698)
They are saying that the death is a result of a US action, and that we recovered his body.
The guy who pulled the trigger (or piloted the drone) is about to become a Big Damn Hero.

Edit: I wonder what's taking so long. Obama can't find Bill Ayers to write his speech for him?

Maybe he needed one of his interns to run out and get him a new flag pin because he misplaced his?

besson3c May 2, 2011 12:33 AM
Quote, Originally Posted by stupendousman (Post 4072697)
CONGRATS OBAMA! Seriously.

Why should the president get the credit for something like this?

Shaddim May 2, 2011 12:35 AM
Quote, Originally Posted by lpkmckenna (Post 4072712)
I don't think this was a drone operation. Special forces in Pakistan made the kill, I think.
CIA operative, at close range with small arms fire. That's what I'm hearing from someone in intel that I can't name.

Dork. May 2, 2011 12:38 AM
Quote, Originally Posted by besson3c (Post 4072715)
Specifically, one of the reasons he drew down forces in Iraq was to pursue OBL and Al-Qaeda in Afghanistan and Pakistan.

Snow-i May 2, 2011 12:40 AM
And now Obama is taking credit for it in his speech...

Baffling how he could use "i" and "my decision" so many times in what should be a moment of unity for our country. :cry::cry::cry::cry::cry:

Hawkeye_a May 2, 2011 12:42 AM
Awesome news!!

smacintush May 2, 2011 12:44 AM
Thank God for President Obama.

besson3c May 2, 2011 12:47 AM
Yeah, our lives this day forward will change profoundly....

Eug May 2, 2011 12:48 AM
Quote, Originally Posted by Shaddim (Post 4072717)
CIA operative, at close range with small arms fire. That's what I'm hearing from someone in intel that I can't name.
http://www.mobilewhack.com/wp-conten...tel-inside.png

stupendousman May 2, 2011 12:52 AM
Quote, Originally Posted by besson3c (Post 4072715)
Presidents usually do get credit for the things that happen on their watch. It might have something directly to do with an order Obama gave, maybe not. However, they found him when his administration was in charge.

Not saying that Barrack killed him with his bare hands - just a success Obama can trumpet that in a time when we need a few.

It might be a case of the rooster taking credit for the sun rising, but as long as the sun has risen, let's let the rooster have his day. The sunshine feels warm.

lpkmckenna May 2, 2011 12:53 AM
And now the wait for the long form death certificate begins.

Athens May 2, 2011 12:53 AM
big deal. would have been more impressed if this occurred 9 years ago. Tomorrow will be like today, people will go on living there lives. Now if Obama removes the patriots act and other chances since 9/11 then I might see a positive thing.

Shaddim May 2, 2011 12:54 AM
Quote, Originally Posted by Eug (Post 4072725)
Someone IN intel, not AT Intel, silly.

Athens May 2, 2011 12:55 AM
wonder if this will mean Obama will win a second term now.

besson3c May 2, 2011 12:56 AM
This is good news and stuff, but I had to roll my eyes during the point in Obama's speech where we had to go on about how great America and its people are. I'm not saying that America or its people suck, but it's an odd time to pat us on the head and tell us how great we are.

subego May 2, 2011 12:56 AM
While it's good he's dead, I always assumed we were keeping him alive for a good reason. I hope this wasn't an accident.

besson3c May 2, 2011 12:57 AM
Quote, Originally Posted by Athens (Post 4072731)

I think whether or not the Republicans and find a compelling candidate will be the deciding factor more so than this news.

Eug May 2, 2011 01:00 AM
Quote, Originally Posted by Shaddim (Post 4072730)
Exactly. inside intel.

lpkmckenna May 2, 2011 01:00 AM
Quote, Originally Posted by Shaddim (Post 4072730)
Whoooosh!

stupendousman May 2, 2011 01:00 AM
Quote, Originally Posted by besson3c (Post 4072733)
This is good news and stuff, but I had to roll my eyes during the point in Obama's speech where we had to go on about how great America and its people are. I'm not saying that America or its people suck, but it's an odd time to pat us on the head and tell us how great we are.
Let the man have his day.

Now that Osama is dead, too soon will Obama have to get back to trying to figure out how to explain how his tax/spend/socialize program SHOULD have worked and helped the economy instead of making it worse, and us with $4 per gallon gas.

While I think that Obama has had a lot to do with the economy really not rebounding, a President gets to crow about the successes when he's in office - but also has to man-up and take the blame when his plans don't work.

Shaddim May 2, 2011 01:02 AM
Quote, Originally Posted by lpkmckenna (Post 4072738)
Whoooosh!
/sigh

Seriously, do I have to explain when I'm just goofing off and making a joke?

besson3c May 2, 2011 01:05 AM
Quote, Originally Posted by stupendousman (Post 4072740)
Let the man have his day.

Now that Osama is dead, too soon will Obama have to get back to trying to figure out how to explain how his tax/spend/socialize program SHOULD have worked and helped the economy instead of making it worse, and us with $4 per gallon gas.

While I think that Obama has had a lot to do with the economy really not rebounding, a President gets to crow about the successes when he's in office - but also has to man-up and take the blame when his plans don't work.

Let the man have his day, but I can't resist getting in my usual repetitive jabs about his deficiencies? :)

el chupacabra May 2, 2011 01:06 AM
I just knew they were going to announce this right at the board room meeting during Trumps show.

stupendousman May 2, 2011 01:11 AM
Quote, Originally Posted by besson3c (Post 4072742)
Let the man have his day, but I can't resist getting in my usual repetitive jabs about his deficiencies? :)
You goaded me into it. You could'nt just leave well alone, could you? :p

Quote, Originally Posted by George W. Bush
Earlier this evening, President Obama called to inform me that American forces killed Osama bin Laden, the leader of the al Qaeda network that attacked America on September 11, 2001. I congratulated him and the men and women of our military and intelligence communities who devoted their lives to this mission. They have our everlasting gratitude. This momentous achievement marks a victory for America, for people who seek peace around the world, and for all those who lost loved ones on September 11, 2001. The fight against terror goes on, but tonight America has sent an unmistakable message: No matter how long it takes, justice will be done.

brassplayersrock² May 2, 2011 01:20 AM
Couldn't

Chongo May 2, 2011 01:21 AM
Quote, Originally Posted by Athens (Post 4072731)
No. He should have had the body frozen, then thawed him right before the election. ;)

rambo47 May 2, 2011 01:22 AM

Chongo May 2, 2011 01:28 AM
Quote, Originally Posted by Eug (Post 4072737)
Exactly. inside intel.
Bin Laden made the mistake of getting an iPhone.

Eug May 2, 2011 01:35 AM
Quote, Originally Posted by Chongo (Post 4072748)
Bin Laden made the mistake of getting an iPhone.
A4 inside

stupendousman May 2, 2011 01:58 AM
Quote, Originally Posted by chongo (Post 4072748)
bin laden made the mistake of getting an iphone.
lmao!

Stogieman May 2, 2011 02:00 AM

k2director May 2, 2011 02:02 AM
May that maggot muslim wacko die a million more deaths, and then a million after that.

Congratulations to our armed forces for a job well done. I hope they found that animal still breathing and conscious, and executed him on the spot.

k2director May 2, 2011 02:03 AM
Quote, Originally Posted by besson3c (Post 4072733)
What I noticed was Obama repeatedly emphasizing his involvement, like his personal touch helped track down that rabid muslim wacko animal. Give me a break.

besson3c May 2, 2011 02:07 AM
Is there a reason for being particular about calling him a Muslim?

smacintush May 2, 2011 02:13 AM
Quote, Originally Posted by besson3c (Post 4072758)
Is there a reason for being particular about calling him a Muslim?
It's not as if he is a rabid wacko animal that just HAPPENS to be a muslim. His muslim-ness is a key part of his own justifications for his actions.

SpaceMonkey May 2, 2011 02:17 AM
The only thing that bugs me about this is that the crowd in front of the White House is mostly made of annoying George Washington University students who were freakin' 8 years old on 9/11 and the media is lapping it up.

If they are happy about anything it's that otherwise they would be studying for finals right now.

besson3c May 2, 2011 02:19 AM
Quote, Originally Posted by smacintush (Post 4072760)
It's not as if he is a rabid wacko animal that just HAPPENS to be a muslim. His muslim-ness is a key part of his own justifications for his actions.

Maybe, but doesn't this imply that this is par for the course for being a Muslim?