MacNN Forums (http://forums.macnn.com/)
-   Political/War Lounge (http://forums.macnn.com/political-war-lounge/)
-   -   Indian Diplomat (http://forums.macnn.com/95/political-war-lounge/506903/indian-diplomat/)

subego Dec 21, 2013 05:27 PM
Indian Diplomat
Does anyone have any insight into this?

Is she being so staunchly defended at home because of:

A) Nationalism
B) Her actions are defensible
C) They touched her

Of course, it's going to be all three, but I get the vibe column C has the largest group of adherents.

ghporter Dec 22, 2013 07:51 PM
A and C, starting with C. The State Department side of it, which I read in today's paper, indicated that she wasn't treated any differently from anyone else they might apprehend, which sounds right, procedurally anyway.

I think the folks in India need to start getting really irate - on a consistent basis - about how their males treat their females in general before they start whining about someone who is in the US with diplomatic credentials who runs afoul of those pesky laws we seem to have over here. Throw the first stone, etc., etc. When women stop being raped apparently as frequently and callously as they appear to be in India, and when those who are involved in those rapes stop getting off scot-free, then maybe they can start complaining about how their diplomats are treated here. Of course that means they need to adopt the concept of "rule of law" versus "give the guy a wad of rupees and he'll say it didn't happen."

subego Dec 22, 2013 08:37 PM
Isn't there also going to be a class angle?

That's where B and C seem to originate. It's okay to pay someone in a low class nothing, and it's not allowed to touch the upper classes.

I presume, though could be wrong, India's rape epidemic isn't an upper-class problem.

reader50 Dec 22, 2013 08:57 PM
Agree on (C) followed by (A). They picked her up on a labor violation, then strip-searched her ... in hopes of finding some heroin? And I'm having trouble with the State Dept's idea of part-time diplomatic immunity. It sounds like she has diplomatic immunity, so long as she's in the embassy.

I'm inclined to agree with Indian protests that: if this had happened to a female US diplomat, detained and strip-searched for labor violations, there'd be hell to pay over here. It would be all over the news, and Congress would be cutting foreign aid. Which they probably should do anyway, considering how badly we're in debt, but that's a different matter.

subego Dec 22, 2013 09:28 PM
Not heroin, a shiv.

ghporter Dec 23, 2013 06:56 AM
If standard procedure is for everybody who goes to the lockup to be strip searched (which it appears to be), then it's not a matter of what she was arrested for. Law enforcement procedures appear to take into account the possibility of any random person taken to a holding cell possibly being in cahoots with some other random individual already there; if you're going to be locked up, you get strip searched, period. When a person is processed into a jail for a sentence, he/she also receives a pretty thorough medical exam for two reasons: any existing issues such as bruises are documented to prevent "hey, they beat me up" problems, and "personal area smuggling" is really difficult with this level of medical exam.

subego Dec 23, 2013 05:50 PM
This is ultimately tangential, but I think in the 21st century we can do a more effective search by beaning you with some radiation.

subego Dec 23, 2013 05:56 PM
Glenn has the right idea though. This is liability protection. Both being on the hook for missing something, or having to deal with the high likelihood anyone in charge of making that call would be biased about it.

el chupacabra Dec 23, 2013 08:37 PM
D) Trying to gain political leverage to cash in for a favor

subego Dec 23, 2013 08:41 PM
Expand please. :)

Snow-i Dec 27, 2013 04:10 PM
I think el chup is onto something here.

The diplomat deserved what she got, and if she doesn't want to be "degraded" perhaps she should quit degrading the people around her and violating our laws, and we won't have need to arrest her and put her through those procedures in the first place.

To the Indian outrage over this? All i have to say is WTF mate? The person she was abusing was Indian, and I for one am glad when any government anywhere puts an end to what boils down to be essentially relatively mild human rights abuses.

subego Dec 27, 2013 04:40 PM
I'm lost.

Who is getting leverage over whom?

el chupacabra Dec 28, 2013 09:21 AM
In other words it reminds me of the NSA spying controversy. All these countries, knew the US was spying on them, that's what the US does. But once made official they still had to put on the front of being utterly shocked and outraged, in hopes that the US would be extra nice to them, or try to make it up them, some time in the future. It's this kind of guilt trip leverage I'm talking about. What kind of favor might the US do for India officials? I have no idea; but it's related to whatever these diplomatic relations are all about.

As mentioned India, with it's human burn factories run by little kids etc., doesn't act much like it cares about human rights violations.

subego Dec 28, 2013 12:58 PM
My response to this, as an American, is "come at me, bro".