Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Enthusiast Zone > Art & Graphic Design > Web design: Help with WordPress

Web design: Help with WordPress
HamSandwich
Jan 21, 2016, 11:29 AM

Hey,

I don't know if this belongs here, may need to be moved.

I am designing a website for my mum and the pictures she is painting. It can be found here: atelier kunterbunt | malen, schreiben, denken, lesen, fühlen ...

Do you see I am in WordPress trouble?
1) How do I erase "atelier kunterbunt" at the top of the page, for all pages
2) On Pages, the title is white, not black, like in "Gästebuch".
3) There are some English words on the page like "Posted on" and "by" and "This entry was posted in"
4) There is still the white title saying "Category archives: " for the varying categories.
5) The navigation bar has a white background, instead of being translucent. Can I change this?

That should be about it. I had started editing the code in WordPress, but I am not yet finished, can you help me?

In addition, do you have a recommendation for a really colorful background? I had some ideas, but none that really lasted.

Greetings,
PeterParker

Maria johnson
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jan 21, 2016, 11:49 AM

I had an website done with the Dreamweaver and I loved it - https://www.LondonHelp.co.uk
The site is about Domestic Services in London.

Some smart head made me move to Wordpress and I hate it. I wish I never did it.
( Last edited by andi*pandi; Jan 21, 2016 at 01:22 PM. )

HamSandwich
Jan 21, 2016, 12:48 PM

Originally Posted by Maria johnson View Post
I had an website done with the Dreamweaver and I loved it - https://www.LondonHelp.co.uk
The site is about Domestic Services in London.

Some smart head made me move to Wordpress and I hate it. I wish I never did it.
The website is really nice!

andi*pandi
Jan 21, 2016, 12:53 PM

That background is really distracting and hard to read. If you must use it (or one of your mother's paintings) make the boxes that have content have a semi-opaque white overlay.

1) Atelier Kunterbunt is the website title, and you'd probably have to edit the header.php to remove it. I don't think you should though, as that is a standard web element to link back to the home page, etc. Maybe you want to move it above the navigation. Only do this if you feel comfortable editing code and know a little PHP.

2, 4, 5) Easy to change, edit your theme css.

3) Your theme was probably written by an english person. If you want things like "Category" and "Search" to be in German, you will have to find the place in the template and edit them. Or start with a German version, many themes have already been translated to many languages.

HamSandwich
Jan 30, 2016, 12:12 PM

Howdy!

I am designing a web page for my parents and it is called something like "workshop colorful", but in German (atelier kunterbunt), which makes a lot of sense there and is pretty creative. Now, I am undecided concerning the site's design.
You can view the status quo on atelier kunterbunt | malen, schreiben, denken, lesen, fühlen ....

The site is two things, a blog so they can write about their current situation etc., and a gallery for the paintings my mum creates - I just blog the paintings, so the design is unified and everything looks good.

I use WordPress and I found a nice theme which I modified a bit and I added a hand-drawn background (I broke the design, so the site is now flawed, currently being redone). What should I do to finish the website?
I now have some experience with various backgrounds and designs, what would be the right background? What is truly colorful? What is a good theme? How do you design a colorful blog?

Many flowers wouldn't be so bad, simply put - any other ideas?

Greetings,
PeterParker

andi*pandi
Jan 30, 2016, 07:09 PM

Well, we gave you lots of pointers in your last thread about this blog. If you'd like this thread to be more design than technical, we can try that... but my main point from the last thread is that the background is too busy, pixellated (low quality) and hard to read text over. It does not look professional.

A good theme depends on what you're doing. There are billions out there. I prefer to make my own. I think any basic theme (even the ones included with wordpress) would be fine for what you are doing.

Painterly aspects are fine, but better to focus on real art, not clip art, and use the images powerfully. A grey theme will make colorful paintings pop out. A pink swirl theme will make pictures hard to read, hurt the eyes, etc. A grey theme with colorful text headings, or a colorful banner graphic, would be a good compromise.

Any more advice is $100/hr.

HamSandwich
Feb 4, 2016, 08:00 AM

Hello,

I reverted to the background I had done originally. It is hand-drawn, with the original being from a hair stylist that I had found as flyer at a restaurant nearby...
I used the theme to make it fit to this background, so everything works together.

But the background should really be something more colorful...

Greetings,
PeterParker

andi*pandi
Feb 8, 2016, 11:13 PM

Why are you using a graphic you found on a hair stylist flyer? Did your mom paint it? If not, did you buy the rights to it from the illustrator? If so, what does a hair stylist graphic have to do with your mom's work?

You don't need two threads for this.

Forum Links
Forum Rules