Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > Political/War Lounge > Trump's Early Legacy: Victims of Harassment and Assault coming out

Trump's Early Legacy: Victims of Harassment and Assault coming out
Thread Tools
The Final Dakar
Games Meister
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Eternity
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Nov 9, 2017, 06:51 PM
 
Not one he intended to be sure, but I don't think in a world where he lost and faded away we'd see what we're seeing. I think a lot of women saw a man accused of sexual harassment by 16 women, who bragged about what fame would let him get away with on tape, and still got elected, and were pushed to their breaking point.

Trump got away with it, but they wouldn't let everyone else get away with it too. And now you see the laundry list. O' Reilly, Halperin, Weinstein, Louis CK, Spacey, Moore... I can't remember them all. Does this happen if Clinton is in office? Maybe. Perhaps reaching critical mass on this was a coincidence. Perhaps the stage was set with Cosby and Ailes. But I think Trump getting off scot free was the trigger.

Reading the latest revelations, sometimes the sad thing is that women don't dare speak up but if asked they'll tell the truth.
     
Waragainstsleep
Addicted to MacNN
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: UK
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Nov 9, 2017, 08:37 PM
 
I don't get the sense that Trump was the trigger. Weinstein is patient zero for me despite Cosby and the Fox News crew. Cosby has been in the news for it for years now, everyone knows that the men on Fox are dinosaurs at best, and that Trump is a dirty old pervert. Weinstein is the first domino here. If it had been Trump and women had come out before the election, maybe he wouldn't have gotten away with it.

It will be interesting to see if any of his victims or accusers come back out or if anyone brings up the various settlements I imagine he's made with victims. There were multiple pending lawsuits before he won the election as I recall.
I have plenty of more important things to do, if only I could bring myself to do them....
     
Laminar
Posting Junkie
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Iowa, how long can this be? Does it really ruin the left column spacing?
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Nov 9, 2017, 10:50 PM
 
Originally Posted by Waragainstsleep View Post
I don't get the sense that Trump was the trigger.
He was surely a flame that contributed to the water boiling over.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/...=.39bd9418ea13

http://edition.cnn.com/2016/10/13/he...n-dont-report/
     
The Final Dakar  (op)
Games Meister
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Eternity
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Nov 10, 2017, 01:59 PM
 
I mean arguably it's also why so many women are running for office lately.
     
Laminar
Posting Junkie
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Iowa, how long can this be? Does it really ruin the left column spacing?
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Nov 10, 2017, 05:39 PM
 
I'll admit seeing Westboro Baptist in action helped swing my and many others' opinions on gay people. And best I can tell, they've faded into obscurity while gay marriage has been legalized.

It seems like when everybody's comfortable and quiet, no one is challenged to care about stuff that otherwise gets swept under the run. But a negative force bringing a hurtful culture into the spotlight forces the good people to speak up and call for positive change.
     
The Final Dakar  (op)
Games Meister
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Eternity
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Nov 10, 2017, 05:58 PM
 
Originally Posted by Laminar View Post
I'll admit seeing Westboro Baptist in action helped swing my and many others' opinions on gay people. And best I can tell, they've faded into obscurity while gay marriage has been legalized.

It seems like when everybody's comfortable and quiet, no one is challenged to care about stuff that otherwise gets swept under the run. But a negative force bringing a hurtful culture into the spotlight forces the good people to speak up and call for positive change.
I agree. I don't think it's a coincidence that the 2004 anti gay marriage push backfired and gave us Windsor.

I feel like the same goes for voter suppression, bathroom bills, and maybe, finally, immigration
     
Snow-i
Professional Poster
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Maryland
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Nov 10, 2017, 06:08 PM
 
Originally Posted by The Final Dakar View Post
Not one he intended to be sure, but I don't think in a world where he lost and faded away we'd see what we're seeing. I think a lot of women saw a man accused of sexual harassment by 16 women, who bragged about what fame would let him get away with on tape, and still got elected, and were pushed to their breaking point.

Trump got away with it, but they wouldn't let everyone else get away with it too. And now you see the laundry list. O' Reilly, Halperin, Weinstein, Louis CK, Spacey, Moore... I can't remember them all. Does this happen if Clinton is in office? Maybe. Perhaps reaching critical mass on this was a coincidence. Perhaps the stage was set with Cosby and Ailes. But I think Trump getting off scot free was the trigger.

Reading the latest revelations, sometimes the sad thing is that women don't dare speak up but if asked they'll tell the truth.
I am not certain why this is framed in the context of Trump, when the reality is we're seeing powerful and influential people from both aisles mired in this misbehavior. They have more in common with each other than they do with you, regardless of your political leanings or policy imperatives.

Yes, the atrocities continue to happen with Clinton in office. She'd probably even be better at protecting her friends from the outpouring. Light is the best disinfectant, and it's sad that your OP & title reads as an attempt to cast that light through red and blue filters.

Sure, sure, keep making it a partisan issue. If you can't recognize these issues without partisan context, you are part of the problem by perpetuating the environment that allows for such behavior.
     
The Final Dakar  (op)
Games Meister
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Eternity
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Nov 10, 2017, 06:36 PM
 
Originally Posted by Snow-i View Post
I am not certain why this is framed in the context of Trump,
Was the OP that hard to parse?
I think a lot of women saw a man … who … got away with it, but they wouldn't let everyone else get away with it too.

Originally Posted by Snow-i View Post
Sure, sure, keep making it a partisan issue.
How am I making it a partisan issue?
     
Laminar
Posting Junkie
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Iowa, how long can this be? Does it really ruin the left column spacing?
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Nov 10, 2017, 07:19 PM
 
Originally Posted by Snow-i View Post
I am not certain why this is framed in the context of Trump, when the reality is we're seeing powerful and influential people from both aisles mired in this misbehavior. They have more in common with each other than they do with you, regardless of your political leanings or policy imperatives.

Yes, the atrocities continue to happen with Clinton in office. She'd probably even be better at protecting her friends from the outpouring. Light is the best disinfectant, and it's sad that your OP & title reads as an attempt to cast that light through red and blue filters.

Sure, sure, keep making it a partisan issue. If you can't recognize these issues without partisan context, you are part of the problem by perpetuating the environment that allows for such behavior.
There's a whole lot of irony in your post. Trying to channel CTP's ghost?

Trump being a self-proclaimed misogynist, creep, and sexual harasser isn't a partisan view, it's literally the words and stories Trump himself has said and shared.

The assertion was that these literal facts fostered an environment where victims felt compelled to shine some light on their abusers.

Your post, on the other hand, tries to play several purely partisan cards:

1. "Both sides are the same." Nowhere in the OP did it claim that the abusers were on one side or the other, only considered the impact Trump had on the current environment. Also consider the implications of the fact that your best possible response to, "You're a bad person" isn't "No, I'm not," but instead, "Well you're just as bad!"

2. "Hillary is friends with the liberal Hollywood movie stars." Trump was literally in movies, professional wresting, porn, and on TV. You and Chnogo should hang out; you can unironically obsess over the awful sexual abuse scandals in Liberal Hollywood.

3. "You're being partisan!" Accuse the other side first, get them on the defensive, deflect from the actual conversation. Classic CTP move.
     
BadKosh
Professional Poster
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Just west of DC.
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Nov 11, 2017, 06:40 AM
 
Yawn. Since RACIST RACIST RACIST didn't work, or Russia Russia Russia didn't work they are coat tailing off of Weinstein for political means. It must be because of the seriousness of the charges.................
     
Waragainstsleep
Addicted to MacNN
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: UK
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Nov 11, 2017, 09:14 AM
 
Originally Posted by BadKosh View Post
Yawn. Since RACIST RACIST RACIST didn't work, or Russia Russia Russia didn't work they are coat tailing off of Weinstein for political means. It must be because of the seriousness of the charges.................
"They" You mean Dakar? This thread is the only place I've seen it suggested. But what an awful post this was anyway.

I saw it pointed out that another difference between the left and right these days is that the left are (for the most part) pursuing and prosecuting their rapists while the right are electing and defending theirs.
I have plenty of more important things to do, if only I could bring myself to do them....
     
subego
Clinically Insane
Join Date: Jun 2001
Location: Chicago, Bang! Bang!
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Nov 11, 2017, 01:16 PM
 
Originally Posted by The Final Dakar View Post
Not one he intended to be sure, but I don't think in a world where he lost and faded away we'd see what we're seeing. I think a lot of women saw a man accused of sexual harassment by 16 women, who bragged about what fame would let him get away with on tape, and still got elected, and were pushed to their breaking point.

Trump got away with it, but they wouldn't let everyone else get away with it too. And now you see the laundry list. O' Reilly, Halperin, Weinstein, Louis CK, Spacey, Moore... I can't remember them all. Does this happen if Clinton is in office? Maybe. Perhaps reaching critical mass on this was a coincidence. Perhaps the stage was set with Cosby and Ailes. But I think Trump getting off scot free was the trigger.

Reading the latest revelations, sometimes the sad thing is that women don't dare speak up but if asked they'll tell the truth.
Isn’t the conclusion then that without an enemy to rally them, the left lets the patriarchy and rape culture slide?

While I enjoy ripping on the left as much as the next guy, woooo... I don’t think I’d go this far.

The left’s tolerance for this type of behavior has been steadily decreasing. I submit this was inevitable.
     
Waragainstsleep
Addicted to MacNN
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: UK
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Nov 11, 2017, 02:46 PM
 
Has this even been a partisan issue until recently?
I have plenty of more important things to do, if only I could bring myself to do them....
     
subego
Clinically Insane
Join Date: Jun 2001
Location: Chicago, Bang! Bang!
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Nov 11, 2017, 03:06 PM
 
Originally Posted by Waragainstsleep View Post
Has this even been a partisan issue until recently?
This particular industry is very lefty, and the left has a huge bee in its bonnet about misogyny.

That the standard was so different a month ago is a hypocritical look for them.
     
The Final Dakar  (op)
Games Meister
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Eternity
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Nov 11, 2017, 03:20 PM
 
Originally Posted by subego View Post
Isn’t the conclusion then that without an enemy to rally them, the left lets the patriarchy and rape culture slide?
This is a really ****ed up perspective. It presupposes that willingness to report sexual harassment, etc. is somehow a partisan response. I certainly don't agree with that.
     
subego
Clinically Insane
Join Date: Jun 2001
Location: Chicago, Bang! Bang!
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Nov 11, 2017, 03:42 PM
 
Originally Posted by The Final Dakar View Post
This is a really ****ed up perspective. It presupposes that willingness to report sexual harassment, etc. is somehow a partisan response. I certainly don't agree with that.
I don’t expect the people going “well... Joseph ****ed a 14-year-old” to provide the same environment for addressing sexual harassment as the people who champion feminism and equality.
     
Laminar
Posting Junkie
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Iowa, how long can this be? Does it really ruin the left column spacing?
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Nov 11, 2017, 05:54 PM
 
Originally Posted by subego View Post
The left’s tolerance for this type of behavior has been steadily decreasing. I submit this was inevitable.
Like I said before - the water was heating up, but Trump provided an extra blowtorch on a pot to get it boiling over sooner.
     
OAW
Addicted to MacNN
Join Date: May 2001
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Nov 11, 2017, 06:13 PM
 
Rather than view this as a partisan issue I submit what this is really showing is that men all too often behave badly when they are in positions of power.

OAW
     
andi*pandi
Moderator
Join Date: Jun 2000
Location: inside 128, north of 90
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Nov 11, 2017, 07:00 PM
 
Originally Posted by Waragainstsleep View Post
If it had been Trump and women had come out before the election, maybe he wouldn't have gotten away with it.
They did, and they were either paid off or not believed, not sure which, since they disappeared... and how Trump got away with it was inviting the women who accused Clinton to sit with him at the debates.

It's the I'm rubber you're glue method of avoiding blame.
     
Waragainstsleep
Addicted to MacNN
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: UK
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Nov 11, 2017, 10:08 PM
 
Originally Posted by OAW View Post
Rather than view this as a partisan issue I submit what this is really showing is that men all too often behave badly when they are in positions of power.

OAW
That was kind of my point. Up until recently, it was just a case of men being awful when they thought they could get away with it. Its the clear lines now being drawn by the responses on either side that are making it partisan now.
One side is genuinely outraged and embracing the change they hope is happening, the other side is excusing pedophilia (despite the fuss they made about the made up pedophile ring in the pizza restaurant) in an effort to maintain the status quo.
I have plenty of more important things to do, if only I could bring myself to do them....
     
Waragainstsleep
Addicted to MacNN
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: UK
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Nov 11, 2017, 10:30 PM
 
Originally Posted by subego View Post
This particular industry is very lefty, and the left has a huge bee in its bonnet about misogyny.

That the standard was so different a month ago is a hypocritical look for them.
I'm aware the left leaning tendency of Hollywood, I even have my ideas as to why it leans that way but you can't stop something happening until people are ready to stand up and admit its actually happening. Those that clearly "knew" about it also clearly didn't know with enough certainty to do anything about it.
Any hypocrisy on display from the left in all this has been immediately dwarfed in scale by the reactions to Roy Moore et al.
I have plenty of more important things to do, if only I could bring myself to do them....
     
The Final Dakar  (op)
Games Meister
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Eternity
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Nov 11, 2017, 10:32 PM
 
Originally Posted by subego View Post
I don’t expect the people going “well... Joseph ****ed a 14-year-old” to provide the same environment for addressing sexual harassment as the people who champion feminism and equality.
You're picking an extreme example. Unless you're purporting Alabama Republicans views on Moore represent the vast majority of conservatives.

Here's a thought: The powerlessness women feel is in these situations is equivalent no matter ideology.

Thought #2: If you were right, it shouldn't have taken nearly 100 years for the current shitstorm in Liberal Mecca Hollywood to have occurred. It should happened at least 30 years ago.
     
The Final Dakar  (op)
Games Meister
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Eternity
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Nov 11, 2017, 10:36 PM
 
Irony meter: I consider conservative Gretchen Carlson to be the person who broke the Grope Ceiling. Taking down Roger Ailes was a wake-up call to both the abused and abusers.
     
subego
Clinically Insane
Join Date: Jun 2001
Location: Chicago, Bang! Bang!
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Nov 12, 2017, 01:38 PM
 
Originally Posted by The Final Dakar View Post
You're picking an extreme example. Unless you're purporting Alabama Republicans views on Moore represent the vast majority of conservatives.

Here's a thought: The powerlessness women feel is in these situations is equivalent no matter ideology.

Thought #2: If you were right, it shouldn't have taken nearly 100 years for the current shitstorm in Liberal Mecca Hollywood to have occurred. It should happened at least 30 years ago.
The powerlessness may be equivalent in type regardless of ideology but not equivalent in scale.

What it means to champion feminism and equality has gone through enormous change over the last 30 years. It’s gone through enormous change in the last five.
     
The Final Dakar  (op)
Games Meister
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Eternity
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Nov 13, 2017, 06:59 PM
 
Originally Posted by subego View Post
What it means to champion feminism and equality has gone through enormous change over the last 30 years. It’s gone through enormous change in the last five.
What has changed in the past 5 years?
     
Laminar
Posting Junkie
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Iowa, how long can this be? Does it really ruin the left column spacing?
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Nov 13, 2017, 08:00 PM
 
GamerGate. Tumblr. "My privilege." Internet feminists.

Shaddim really ramped up the anti-feminism rhetoric after GamerGate.
     
Waragainstsleep
Addicted to MacNN
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: UK
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Nov 13, 2017, 09:05 PM
 
As much as I despise MRA's and I do, there is a growing group on the far left who are feeding them by being nearly as stupid and unreasonable as they are about things.
I have plenty of more important things to do, if only I could bring myself to do them....
     
subego
Clinically Insane
Join Date: Jun 2001
Location: Chicago, Bang! Bang!
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Nov 13, 2017, 09:55 PM
 
Originally Posted by Laminar View Post
GamerGate. Tumblr. "My privilege." Internet feminists.

Shaddim really ramped up the anti-feminism rhetoric after GamerGate.
They targeted gamers.

Gamers.
     
Laminar
Posting Junkie
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Iowa, how long can this be? Does it really ruin the left column spacing?
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Nov 13, 2017, 10:03 PM
 
Originally Posted by Waragainstsleep View Post
As much as I despise MRA's and I do, there is a growing group on the far left who are feeding them by being nearly as stupid and unreasonable as they are about things.
It's like they can't see the irony in reacting to idiots by being the exact same idiot, just on the other side.
     
subego
Clinically Insane
Join Date: Jun 2001
Location: Chicago, Bang! Bang!
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Nov 13, 2017, 10:04 PM
 
Originally Posted by The Final Dakar View Post
What has changed in the past 5 years?
Le Ess-Jay-Dubya.
     
subego
Clinically Insane
Join Date: Jun 2001
Location: Chicago, Bang! Bang!
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Nov 14, 2017, 05:11 PM
 
Originally Posted by Laminar View Post
It's like they can't see the irony in reacting to idiots by being the exact same idiot, just on the other side.
I’d be a lot less irked by the left’s smug superiority if they could better achieve being actually superior in this regard.

That’s what frosts my ass. The left should know better.

The reason I know better, is because of the influence the left has had on me.
     
Chongo
Addicted to MacNN
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Phoenix, Arizona
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Nov 14, 2017, 06:05 PM
 
Originally Posted by subego View Post
The powerlessness may be equivalent in type regardless of ideology but not equivalent in scale.

What it means to champion feminism and equality has gone through enormous change over the last 30 years. It’s gone through enormous change in the last five.
This
"The blood of the martyrs is the seed of the church" Saint Tertullian, 197 AD
     
andi*pandi
Moderator
Join Date: Jun 2000
Location: inside 128, north of 90
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Nov 14, 2017, 07:11 PM
 
That's a lot older than 5 years, and not relevant to the question, no matter how much you enjoy posting it in every thread.
     
subego
Clinically Insane
Join Date: Jun 2001
Location: Chicago, Bang! Bang!
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Nov 14, 2017, 07:14 PM
 
I was going to say it’s relevant here because it’s one of the reasons Hillary sidelined him.

Of course, it’s one of the reasons Gore sidelined him.
     
Waragainstsleep
Addicted to MacNN
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: UK
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Nov 14, 2017, 08:30 PM
 
Originally Posted by subego View Post
I’d be a lot less irked by the left’s smug superiority if they could better achieve being actually superior in this regard.

That’s what frosts my ass. The left should know better.

The reason I know better, is because of the influence the left has had on me.
I feel like the left got to where it should be and then a growing element sailed right on past it.

Some time ago I got involved in a race discussion about use of the term "colourblind" often used by white people to suggest that they treat other people equally/the same.

Turned out a lot of PoC had a problem with this approach. Personally I still think as a default with people you don't know, its absolutely the right way to treat someone. Several of them complained that they wanted to be treated differently because of their differing ethnicity. Which some would say is the definition of racism. Most of them didn't care about the practicalities of having to have discussions with everyone you ever meet to find out how you should be treating them differently. Some of them considered asking questions to be racist because the burden should be on you to go and find out by yourself. This was certainly the overriding attitude to as to why 'colourblindness' was a racist concept. You weren't allowed to ask why because they shouldn't have to tell you.
Its like deliberately creating a minefield for your allies, let alone your enemies.

It was during the course of this discussion that I discovered someone redefined racism at some point from treating people differently {worse} due to their ethnicity, to having to include some acknowledgement of a white power structure in the definition. Not a majority power structure so the term might still apply in China or Nigeria, but a white power structure, because only white people can be racist these days and possibly all white people are racist just by being white. Depending on exactly who you ask.

At one point during this conversation I was accused of some kind of sexism, even though it was a discussion about race and not gender. Someone told me I was mansplaining. In a FB thread. (For those who don't know, mansplaining which is very much a real phenomenon and a term that exists with good reason, is interrupting a woman to correct her because she's a woman.) You can't interrupt people in a text thread. Of course, I can't possible correct a woman who just accused me of mansplaining on the definition of mansplaining because even though I'm correct, its not going to go down well. I settled for reminding her we were discussing race not gender. I came very close to (so I thought) coining the term 'whitesplaining'. I thought better of it, then someone else did it for me. I laughed a bit at that.

Having been marginalised, told I wasn't entitled to an opinion, called racist and sexist and essentially mistreated on the basis that I was a white male who did something other than apologise profusely and repeatedly for being both, I was blocked from the conversation for not apologising profusely and repeatedly for being white and male.

I previously considered a number of these people to be open-minded, fair, rational, right-minded people. I ended up almost sympathising with CTP which made me feel slightly nauseous. He is actually right though, there are some total asshole morons on the left now. Not as bad as the right by any stretch, but still.

I got into a second conversation about harassment (before this whole thing kicked off) with the same bunch not long afterwards. The grudges they still bore were highly apparent. I have to confess they were mostly right about that one. Or mostly not wrong. Given a little longer I would have come around and changed my stance, but again I was booted by a friend who actually accused me of "MRA bullshit" because I grudgingly cited an MRA argument for which I have never heard a convincing counter. There were when claiming (you had to infer it from what they said, they didn't explicitly claim it) that any man ever approaching any woman with a view to 'romancing' her, was committing harassment and that men should never do this. Some also said that once you get any kind of "no" from a woman, you should take that as gospel and eternally unchanging and not try to do anything to change it yourself, because also harassment. I do see their point. But I still asked how they expected humanity to survive such a policy, because how many men get a yes first time? As churlish as it sounds, its a fair question.
Ironically, I actually fit their description of the perfectly respectful man in that I never approach or proposition women ever.

Sorry about the rant.
I have plenty of more important things to do, if only I could bring myself to do them....
     
Chongo
Addicted to MacNN
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Phoenix, Arizona
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Nov 14, 2017, 08:50 PM
 
Originally Posted by andi*pandi View Post
That's a lot older than 5 years, and not relevant to the question, no matter how much you enjoy posting it in every thread.
Originally Posted by subego View Post
The powerlessness may be equivalent in type regardless of ideology but not equivalent in scale.

What it means to champion feminism and equality has gone through enormous change over the last 30 years. It’s gone through enormous change in the last five.
Originally Posted by subego View Post
I was going to say it’s relevant here because it’s one of the reasons Hillary sidelined him.

Of course, it’s one of the reasons Gore sidelined him.
Last year:
( Last edited by Chongo; Nov 14, 2017 at 10:40 PM. )
"The blood of the martyrs is the seed of the church" Saint Tertullian, 197 AD
     
Laminar
Posting Junkie
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Iowa, how long can this be? Does it really ruin the left column spacing?
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Nov 14, 2017, 09:56 PM
 
Originally Posted by Waragainstsleep View Post
(For those who don't know, mansplaining which is very much a real phenomenon and a term that exists with good reason, is interrupting a woman to correct her because she's a woman.)
It's not.

You can't interrupt people in a text thread. Of course, I can't possible correct a woman who just accused me of mansplaining on the definition of mansplaining because even though I'm correct,
You're not.

Have you considered that it's not who or what you are that gets some people riled up, but how you go about expressing it?

Originally Posted by Chongo View Post
Last year:
You're getting your images from a blog called "ProWhiteParty." Aren't you one of those people always complaining about fake news?
     
Chongo
Addicted to MacNN
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Phoenix, Arizona
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Nov 14, 2017, 10:42 PM
 
Thanks. I fixed it. I was a bit lazy and did not look at the URL from the google search. It was the one picture that include the death stare at Broaddrick, etc.
"The blood of the martyrs is the seed of the church" Saint Tertullian, 197 AD
     
Laminar
Posting Junkie
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Iowa, how long can this be? Does it really ruin the left column spacing?
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Nov 14, 2017, 11:04 PM
 
Did you take a second and think to yourself, "ProWhiteParty, huh? Is this really the stand I want to make?"
     
Waragainstsleep
Addicted to MacNN
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: UK
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Nov 14, 2017, 11:06 PM
 
Originally Posted by Laminar View Post
It's not.
Well the version I looked up at the time had a component of actively preventing a woman from speaking in order to speak over or in place of her but whatever. It still wasn't mansplaining because I wasn't paying attention to the gender of the people I was debating with, being that it was a discussion relating to race. Using feminist terminology is sometimes analogous but not always and certainly wasn't in this case. Not all disagreement is mansplaining. Even if one party is a woman and the other a man. That was definitely the implication here.
No-one at ay point refuted my opinion/conjecture with anything other than a flat out dismissal of it because it didn't agree with them, and because it came from me. I'm not lying, there was a lot of people in the thread and the ones who sounded like they agreed with me to any extent fled quickly or were jumped on just as harshly. Its utterly foolish to target and attack people who want to be your allies over minor and ultimately reasonable discrepancies in opinion on fairly unimportant details. Go after the KKK first, then complain about the people aren't doing an adequate job of correctly assuming and addressing whatever cultural requirements you feel they aren't adequately addressing.


Originally Posted by Laminar View Post
Have you considered that it's not who or what you are that gets some people riled up, but how you go about expressing it?
I haven't even said how I was expressing it. Truth is people make snap judgements and then they don't waver. You say one thing that reminds them of some group or type or whatever and you're in that group or of that type. No point trying to persuade them otherwise.
Like how you assume because of the way I sometimes express myself here that I must have said something that would rile up reasonable people in a discussion you haven't read.

What I did was offer an alternative perspective to the original assertion that 'colourblind' is always and without exception racially insensitive or outright racist by trying to explain what someone who might use it might be thinking by doing so. No different really than the original poster explaining their own perspective about how they feel when they hear it.
These differing perspectives and lack of attempts of people to see or understand perspectives or intentions other than their own are the root cause of plenty of issues that can be easily solved by genuinely listening, attempting to see from a different place and looking to compromise from there.

What arguably should have happened was an acknowledgement on my part that someone might quite reasonably feel offended upon hearing that term and then an equal acknowledgement that someone using it might well have thought about it very differently, and used it intending it to be a much more positive statement. We could then have agreed that perhaps someone using it deserves the benefit of the doubt and an explanation that it might offend and why, but that ultimately anyone who cares shouldn't use it in that context.

What we got was a refusal to acknowledge any perspective other than the original post, a total dismissal of my offered hypothetical explanation, an attempt to ban a word from use in a certain context by a single ethnicity, a condemnation of anyone who used it so strong that there was a real risk they would be turned from someone actively against racism to someone who might well feel like they were better off staying out of the discussion and the solution altogether (if not even worse), a blanket accusation that all white people are racist anyway even if they don't do as they are told when they are banned from using certain language, I could go on. Ultimately it was a glaring example of the behaviour these guys claimed to be against, but it was ok because this time they were the oppressors.

I only knew one of them well, but I have agreed with many of this group on many subjects in the past. There is no bias on my part here. I learned a hell of a lot from these two conversations. The second one in particular because there I really was in the wrong. Both times I spent considerable time in the days afterwards thinking very hard about what was said. With the first discussion I cannot escape the conclusion that many of the people in the discussion were just ridiculous in their opinions, assertions, demands and behaviour, a lot of which was poor. I normally expect better of the left and they have permanently lowered the bar. I can understand the attitude of a person or persons who feel oppressed wanting to turn the tables and become the oppressors (even if I don't agree with it), but if thats what you want don't claim you want equality, be honest about it.
I have plenty of more important things to do, if only I could bring myself to do them....
     
Laminar
Posting Junkie
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Iowa, how long can this be? Does it really ruin the left column spacing?
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Nov 14, 2017, 11:32 PM
 
Originally Posted by Waragainstsleep View Post
I haven't even said how I was expressing it.
I can make a guess.
     
Waragainstsleep
Addicted to MacNN
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: UK
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Nov 15, 2017, 02:48 AM
 
That was among my points.
I have plenty of more important things to do, if only I could bring myself to do them....
     
subego
Clinically Insane
Join Date: Jun 2001
Location: Chicago, Bang! Bang!
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Nov 15, 2017, 03:58 AM
 
Mansplaining is telling a woman things about womanhood when one should imagine the woman is better positioned to provide insight.

Manspreading is not closing your legs when you sit down, so in a bench-type situation you’re taking up more room than you’re entitled. I think there’s a bit in there where you’re also forcing people to think about your crank.

Manaforting is selling your soul.
     
Waragainstsleep
Addicted to MacNN
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: UK
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Nov 15, 2017, 09:37 AM
 
I'm aware I argue and even condescend to people who might even know better than me but it is never because they are female.

It might be rude and arrogant, but its never mansplaining.
I have plenty of more important things to do, if only I could bring myself to do them....
     
andi*pandi
Moderator
Join Date: Jun 2000
Location: inside 128, north of 90
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Nov 15, 2017, 10:37 AM
 
One can mansplain about topics other than womanhood.

Female scientist: This new article about bioengineering is really interesting, have you read it?
Male colleague: <explains basic biology as if teaching someone who has never finished 8th grade>
Female scientist: <sigh>
     
The Final Dakar  (op)
Games Meister
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Eternity
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Nov 15, 2017, 12:44 PM
 
There's something incredibly apropos of a woman having to come in and explain to men that their explanation of mansplaining is also wrong
     
andi*pandi
Moderator
Join Date: Jun 2000
Location: inside 128, north of 90
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Nov 15, 2017, 12:57 PM
 


To WAS point, I guess it's possible someone is a know-it-all to everyone... just have to compare how they act with different people.
     
Waragainstsleep
Addicted to MacNN
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: UK
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Nov 15, 2017, 01:49 PM
 
Absolutely, though I totally missed that glaring error in Subego's definition of mansplaining. Shame on me.
I have plenty of more important things to do, if only I could bring myself to do them....
     
The Final Dakar  (op)
Games Meister
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Eternity
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Nov 20, 2017, 12:04 PM
 
Originally Posted by subego View Post
Le Ess-Jay-Dubya.
Sorry hard to remember to reply to threads I visit on my phone.

SJWs are not a new phenomenon. You'll have to explain furthermore
     
subego
Clinically Insane
Join Date: Jun 2001
Location: Chicago, Bang! Bang!
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Nov 20, 2017, 01:23 PM
 
Originally Posted by The Final Dakar View Post
Sorry hard to remember to reply to threads I visit on my phone.

SJWs are not a new phenomenon. You'll have to explain furthermore
No worries!

I’m arguing the phenomenon has been on a notably ascendant trajectory. I picked up on it about five years ago.
     
 
Thread Tools
 
Forum Links
Forum Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts
BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Top
Privacy Policy
All times are GMT -4. The time now is 08:02 PM.
All contents of these forums © 1995-2017 MacNN. All rights reserved.
Branding + Design: www.gesamtbild.com
vBulletin v.3.8.8 © 2000-2017, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.,