Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > iPhone, iPad & iPod > new iPAD

new iPAD
gangster
Forum Regular
Aug 17, 2015, 11:00 PM

new ipad in october or longer wait?

subego
Clinically Insane
Aug 18, 2015, 03:28 AM

Rumor mill says yes, but for the iPad "Pro". New iPad Mini in October or earlier, new iPad is up in the air, but post-October.

P
Aug 18, 2015, 04:15 AM

Reading between the lines, I think that we'll see a new 10" iPad as well before Christmas, but that there is nothing new except the SOC, so no new parts leaks in the supply chain. The mini is thinner, so new cases, so leaks from the suppliers.
The new Mac Pro has up to 30 MB of cache inside the processor itself. That's more than the HD in my first Mac. Somehow I'm still running out of space.

subego
Clinically Insane
Aug 18, 2015, 05:13 AM

I gather they wanted to release all three rapid-fire, but needed more iPhones, and are at maximum manufacturing capacity, so something had to get delayed.

I guess the Mini is more popular than full size, and they assume the Pro will do insane numbers, so the full size Air is what got pushed. In that regard, I haven't felt the need to upgrade my last gen Air, and I'm not sure what the new gen will have to grab me, but I'll probably get a Pro.

P
Aug 18, 2015, 10:45 AM

I have the first gen mini (non-Retina, and semi-broken to boot), and I'm thinking that I should get a full size iPad. If they launch with Force Touch screens, I might go for it.
The new Mac Pro has up to 30 MB of cache inside the processor itself. That's more than the HD in my first Mac. Somehow I'm still running out of space.

subego
Clinically Insane
Aug 18, 2015, 12:22 PM

Somewhere along the line I gave into using just the phone most of the time.

I doubt I'll need an "Pro" but... hey! Shiny!

SierraDragon
Mac Elite
Aug 30, 2015, 12:28 PM

Originally Posted by subego View Post
I doubt I'll need an "Pro" but... hey! Shiny!
...I haven't felt the need to upgrade my last gen Air, and I'm not sure what the new gen will have to grab me, but I'll probably get a Pro.

Same here. I seem to be a junky for these things, and do prefer larger size in tablets and laptops.

However I learned from the original (too heavy) iPad that tablet viability is all about weight, and it looks like Apple will be forcing a bigger phone on me in order to upgrade from the 5s, so a Mini size iPad is to me even less competitive.

Tablet weight is a critical parameter for me because of the ergonomics of tablet usage. Probably I will be a sucker for a "Pro" sized iPad _if_ Apple can keep the weight down to about one pound or less. I look forward to A-B testing a larger iPad against the iPad Air.

subego
Clinically Insane
Aug 30, 2015, 07:15 PM

I pace a lot, and I've been trying to use my iPad Air at the same time.

The result is splitting back pain after about 20 minutes.

Forum Links
Forum Rules