Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > News > Mac News > Hands On: Reeder 3.0 (OS X)

Hands On: Reeder 3.0 (OS X)
NewsPoster
MacNN Staff
Oct 2, 2015, 05:17 PM

Depending where you are in the world, iOS 9 may have just brought you Apple News: an app that gathers articles from your preferred news sources, and pops them into one handy app. It's good, we like it, and we like it so much that MacNN has been part of it since day one -- but it isn't for people who read hundreds of articles or thousands of words a day: Reeder 3.0 is. Actually, Reeder 2.0 was too, and even back in the Stone Age of Reeder 1.0, it was the newsreading app to beat.

Just to be clear on two things: starting with how plenty of other apps have tried to beat Reeder, and our belief that none have succeeded is based purely on subjective addiction to this software. Let that addition tell you something, though -- we're not so wedded to it that we don't try every single such new app the second it comes out. We seem to keep coming back to Reeder. Reeder 3.0 for OS X is the latest version of the newsreading app, and it brings new features to an old favorite.

The other thing to be clear about is that Reeder is a -- whisper it -- RSS app. There is something alchemic about RSS that draws some of us in, and repels others. If you have yet to succumb to RSS, then there's also a fair chance you've simply never heard of it. It stubbornly refuses to slip into the mainstream, yet what it does is so useful. Rather than you going to one, a dozen, 50 websites a day, RSS brings news and articles from all of them directly to you.

Every RSS app shows you the headlines and a few sentences; every RSS app can show you entire articles if the host website is happy with that, and every RSS app can take you through to the site if you want to read more.

What differentiates RSS apps is how easily you can add a new news source, how quickly you can get to the articles you want, and also just whether they look good. We'll always argue that software needs to look good because you're going to have your nose in it all day, but with reading, especially, a well-designed app stands out.

Reeder is quite minimalist and constrained, with few display options to fiddle with, and just a very good reading experience. Reeder 3.0 is redesigned for OS X El Capitan, but really the differences are so subtle we're not convinced they're there -- but we're okay with that. It looks great enough already.

What's visibly changed with Reeder 3.0 is that it now has support for sharing extensions. So, as well as getting all these news articles, it can now help you send them out too. File an article to Evernote, or send it to OmniFocus as a task, all with a tap or two.

It works with El Capitan's Split Screen mode, too, so if you are using it for research then it's handy having it alongside your notes. There have been bug fixes to do with Full Screen mode, too; Reeder 3.0 has a smaller, shrunken, even more minimalist option, and that now works with Apple's Full Screen.

Reeder keeps it as easy as it ever was to add a new news source -- it's harder than in Apple News or Clipboard, but it's about as quick as it can be in an RSS reader. Tap the plus button, and paste in a website URL; Reeder goes off to find whether that site supports RSS, and if so what the address is. You'll sometimes get offered the choice of adding an RSS or an Atom feed, and in the last 10 years of using this we have never bothered to find out what Atom means. Just click on RSS.

Sometimes, you also get offered several different news feeds from the same place. These can be different sections of a news site, such as the Sport or Technology areas, and your choice there is down to your personal taste. However, it's also common to be offered the chance to subscribe to the comments on a website. We just said the word "subscribe," but this is action of saying you want to always hear from that news site, it isn't in the sense of you having to pay.

This is starting to become a Hands On of RSS rather than specifically of Reeder, but we do seem to treat them as interchangeable. Reeder 3.0 for OS X still does not feel as fast and natural as Reeder for iOS does to us, but that's as likely to be down to how we read most news on the hoof. If you read news enough to find Apple News or Flipboard so busy with graphics and so light on the number of news sources available, go get into RSS -- and we'd say that means go get into Reeder 3.0.

Reeder 3.0 requires OS X 10.10 or later, and costs $10 on the Mac App Store.

Who is Reeder 3.0 for:
You like news, whether keeping yourself up to date or researching specific topics, and the time it takes to find articles is a chore. This is for you. When we're boiling the kettle for tea, we're reading news on Reeder.

Who is Reeder 3.0 not for:
People do get put off the apparent technical complexity of RSS, and we wouldn't recommend you face your fears just to get this one app -- unless you are a news junkie, in which case you will thank us and your therapist.

-- William Gallagher (@WGallagher)

Readers: do you have an app that you'd like to see us review? Developers: do you want us to take a look at your app? Send your suggestions to our Tips email.
( Last edited by NewsPoster; Oct 16, 2015 at 02:28 AM. )

zabouti
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Oct 3, 2015, 11:55 PM

I looked at the website, but it told me almost nothing. Do I have to spend $10 just to get the answers? Here are a few questions that don't seem to be addressed here or there:

* Does it sync between Mac and iOS using Dropbox?
* Does it have a minimal title-only display?
* How do you mark articles as read? Can you mark a page of articles as read?
* Can feeds be organized into folders?
* Does $10 buy just the Mac app or both?
* Does it import OPML?

Charles Martin
Mac Elite
Oct 4, 2015, 12:49 AM

I use a different RSS app so I can't answer all your questions, but I'll have William look at the ones I can't get to.

"Can feeds be organized into folders?" -- in fact, the screenshot used in the article shows exactly that to be the case. William has a folder called "Apple" that is open, with the sites he has added to it present. He has other folders there, such as "For The Blank Screen," that are not revealed in that shot.

"Does $10 buy just the Mac app, or both?" -- As with ALL applications that are offered for both OS X and iOS, they are two separate products and are bought separately.

"Does it import OPML?" -- yes.
Charles Martin
MacNN Editor

William Gallagher
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Oct 4, 2015, 04:30 AM

I like the minimalism of that site but you're right: I just went to check its FAQ and that takes minimalism a bit far. I should've answered these questions in my piece: sorry.

Charles has covered many now and the rest are like this:

Syncing - no, Reeder doesn't use Dropbox. I have it set to use a separate RSS service called Feedly and it can use any of nine such services. While Reeder can do its own local RSS that wouldn't help you with the iOS versions. To be sure that I never have to see articles twice, I use Feedly specifically because I do keep trying other newsreaders and that keeps everything synced for me.

When you've read an article, that's marked as read -- though you can tap on an icon to mark it as unread again. If you're looking at the whole list of articles from one source then a single tick icon marks the lot as read. When you look at a folder full of news sources, the same tick icon will mark every one of them as read.

There's no way I know to reduce Reeder to solely showing the headline.

Thanks for asking: not only are these important points but you've also got Charles and I reopening the whole Which RSS is Best debate. I love and adore RSS, it is a boon and a constant companion to me so I relish that you're into it too.

William

Forum Links
Forum Rules