Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Enthusiast Zone > Gaming > world of warcraft stress test beta

world of warcraft stress test beta
mdc
Addicted to MacNN
Sep 1, 2004, 07:49 PM

for everyone who is wanting to get a taste of world of warcraft. blizzard now has opened the stress test signup.

i got a key today. i am busy downloading the 2.21gig game and soon the stress test will start.
don't know how fun it will be since the whole idea is to stress the servers, so it will most probably be very laggy. but hey, will be cool to see what world of warcraft is like, firsthand.

link for anyone who is interested

sorry if this has been posted before. i searched but did not see anything.

.edit.
just read this on worldofwarcraft.com:
Starting tomorrow, September 2nd at 12:00 noon PDT, stress test beta participants will be able to create their World of Warcraft accounts and begin playing the game
.edit.
( Last edited by mdc; Sep 1, 2004 at 10:40 PM. )

sideus
Mac Elite
Sep 1, 2004, 11:25 PM

Downloaded today and ready to go.

Arkham_c
Mac Elite
Sep 2, 2004, 09:26 AM

Just FYI, the buzz in-game is that the stress-test is on a different server from the ones we're playing now. So I expect that you will not see the DogCows. If it does prove to be the same server, though, feel free to say hello. I'll be happy to give out free stuff to lowbie Mac users, and I'll make any copper, bronze, or iron weapons or armor for the bill of materials cost.

My characters are Krasher and Kingfisher on PvE (Alliance), and Badger on PvP (Horde).
Mac Pro 2x 2.66 GHz Dual core, Apple TV 160GB, two Windows XP PCs

redJag
Senior User
Sep 2, 2004, 10:55 AM

The stress test servers are separate from the closed beta servers, Blizzard has said this a couple times. That said, I also signed up for the stress test so I can play with people I know for a bit, even though I'm already in the beta. We'll be on the Horde side
Travis Sanderson

Arkham_c
Mac Elite
Sep 2, 2004, 12:00 PM

Originally posted by redJag:
The stress test servers are separate from the closed beta servers, Blizzard has said this a couple times. That said, I also signed up for the stress test so I can play with people I know for a bit, even though I'm already in the beta. We'll be on the Horde side
I don't care for the Horde classes. If I end up playing retail, I'm going to play Alliance, PvP. Most of the Dogcows have decided that PvP is the better way to go. It's just that we all have our high-level characters on PvE so we're stuck there.

I also just realized that the stress-test is only a week long. Better enjoy it while you can! Good areas to explore:

Dun Morogh
Westfall
Darkshire
Stranglethorn Vale
Arathi/Hillsbrad

There are other good areas of course, but these were some of my favorites. If you manage to get up to level 35 or so during a week (it can be done, but I doubt many of you will), be sure to visit the Scarlet Monestary with a group of 5, including a tank, a healer, and a mage at the minimum (a rogue and a paladin/shamen would round it out nicely). It's a lot of fun.
( Last edited by Arkham_c; Sep 2, 2004 at 03:43 PM. )

sideus
Mac Elite
Sep 2, 2004, 08:03 PM

The 2 gig zip file ended up being corrupted and File Planet isn't letting download it again. Lame.

smacintush
Addicted to MacNN
Sep 2, 2004, 11:49 PM

Mine works fine.
Being in debt and celebrating a lower deficit is like being on a diet and celebrating the fact you gained two pounds this week instead of five.

sideus
Mac Elite
Sep 2, 2004, 11:59 PM

That's great for you. Tried to two different programs to unzip the file, bad file. I'll just wait for when the game is released.

cSurfr
Grizzled Veteran
Sep 3, 2004, 07:54 AM

The stress test only lasts a week anyway, and then blizzard says thanks for playing, see ya later, buh-bye to all those people. Might as well wait for the final.

mdc  (op)
Addicted to MacNN
Sep 3, 2004, 07:24 PM

i think the stress test is a cool way for people to get to play who have no intention of buy it. like me. i do not have the time to make the monthly payments on a mmorpg worthwhile. this way i get to play for a week for free. nice.

coconut
Sep 5, 2004, 03:12 AM

How is in-game performance for you guys ? I'm running it on a PowerBook G4 1.5 GHz + 768 MB RAM with default settings and it runs pretty well at 30 fps with the occasionnal lag caused by the stress test (which is normal). I'm pretty happy about it!

mdc  (op)
Addicted to MacNN
Sep 5, 2004, 05:37 PM

runs well on mine. no idea what the fps is, but it is very playable. 1.25 15" powerbook g4, running at full resolution so i get widescreen.

a little lag now and then, but still *very* playable. got a level 10 warlock

coconut
Sep 6, 2004, 12:28 AM

Level 12 Human Mage. This game rocks! And honestly, I'm not at all the Everquest type, I don't even play rpg games, and I can't stop playing!

Arkham_c
Mac Elite
Sep 6, 2004, 11:57 AM

Originally posted by coconut:
Level 12 Human Mage. This game rocks! And honestly, I'm not at all the Everquest type, I don't even play rpg games, and I can't stop playing!
I know. My wife gets mad at me for spending all that time online. I've got a level 46 warrior, a level 12 hunter, and an undead level 12 priest I never play.

It' addictive.

aManDrinksMilk
Sep 15, 2004, 09:34 AM

Well... about the test... you ppl got good lvl chars.. but im from europe so i can play it in the end of this month... damn i like blizzard GRR...

Forum Links
Forum Rules