Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Applications > any reviews of the new presets/output options in handbrake 0.9.3?

any reviews of the new presets/output options in handbrake 0.9.3?
ph0ust
Senior User
Nov 25, 2008, 02:02 PM

hi all. i was curious if anyone has performed or read/seen any reviews on the new output preset options that are a part of handbrake 0.9.3, released on Nov 23. the release notes indicated that the changes are such that a direct comparison from the previous version is not realistic. here is an excerpt from the release notes:
New, better organized presets (Be sure to run "Update Built-In Presets" from the Presets menu!)
The presets are now "nested" in folders and have evolved. Notably, there is a new Apple "Universal" preset, designed to play and look good doing so on anything from an iPod Nano to an AppleTV.

There have been many changes to most of them. Please be aware that most presets now use different settings. This means most of them are not suited for benchmarking 0.9.3 against 0.9.2. For example, the AppleTV preset is slower because it is now quality based, and produces much more efficient output. The Normal preset uses psychovisual rate distortion. The High Profile presets use psychovisual trellising. All of these setting changes can influence encoding time and output file size.

For comparison purposes, there are several presets in the Apple->Legacy folder (the old iPod High-Rez, the old AppleTV, and the old iPhone presets) which remain unchanged since 0.9.2.
you can see the entire release notes at www.handbrake.fr.

i am curious as to what the optimum presets/options to rip a movie for the atv are now. i used to use the atv preset, tweaked a bit to get the best results for watching on a home theater.

any thoughts on the best way to do this with the new changes?

mduell
Posting Junkie
Nov 25, 2008, 07:45 PM

Try all of the reasonable options to choose the best one for your preferences. The new AppleTV would be a good place to start, and then decide if it's too big or the quality is too low.

I've noticed the new iPhone/iTouch preset produces files about 45% smaller than the old one, since it's now based on constant quality rather than constant bitrate.

tooki
Admin Emeritus
Dec 5, 2008, 03:13 AM

I dunno... I don't think I like the new Universal. The files it creates are significantly larger -- but the video no better -- than the files I used to make by taking the old "iPod Hi-Rez" and changing it to anamorphic loose, 2-pass (turbo) with the AC3 passthrough option.

Forum Links
Forum Rules