Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > Political/War Lounge > Pakistan's Bhutto Wounded in Bombing

Pakistan's Bhutto Wounded in Bombing
Big Mac
Clinically Insane
Dec 27, 2007, 09:12 AM

RAWALPINDI, Pakistan — A homicide bomber attacked supporters of Pakistani opposition leader Benazir Bhutto as they were leaving a rally on Thursday and at least 20 people were feared dead, police and witnesses said. Bhutto was not harmed, an aide said.

An Associated Press reporter at the scene saw body parts and flesh scattered at the back gate of the Liaqat Bagh park in Rawalpindi where the rally was held. He counted about 20 bodies, including police, and could see many other wounded.

The road outside was stained with blood and people screamed for ambulances. Others gave water to the wounded lying in the street. The clothing of some of the victims was shredded and people put party flags over their bodies.

The bomb went off just minutes after Bhutto spoke to thousands of supporters and she appeared to be the target of the attack. Farahtullah Babar, the spokesman for her party, said her vehicle was about 50 yards away from blast which went off as she was leaving the rally venue.

"She had just crossed the gate when we heard a deafening sound. We could feel its impact but by the grace of God, she is safe," he said.

Police official Saud Aziz said it was a homicide attack.

"The natural progress of things is for liberty to yield and government to gain ground." TJ

Big Mac  (op)
Clinically Insane
Dec 27, 2007, 09:14 AM

Wow they say it's critical. She was also missing for 30 minutes before turning up at a hospital, and the initial reports did not say she was wounded. Sounds suspiciously like a conspiracy, similar to the Rabin assassination.

8:27am - now she has been reported dead.
( Last edited by Big Mac; Dec 27, 2007 at 09:28 AM. )

"The natural progress of things is for liberty to yield and government to gain ground." TJ

Dork.
Professional Poster
Dec 27, 2007, 09:39 AM

CNN is now reporting she has died. And that she actually died from a bullet wound, not from the actual bombing.

BRussell
Addicted to MacNN
Dec 27, 2007, 09:40 AM

Jeezus. No good can come from this in Pakistan. Either the dictator will be "reelected," or there will be a revolt, as there should be, but the revolt will result in an Islamist takeover.

Eug
Clinically Insane
Dec 27, 2007, 10:12 AM

Interesting terminology:

“The surgeons confirmed that she has been martyred,” Bhutto's lawyer Babar Awan said.

Originally Posted by BRussell View Post
Jeezus. No good can come from this in Pakistan. Either the dictator will be "reelected," or there will be a revolt, as there should be, but the revolt will result in an Islamist takeover.
That's what I was thinking too, unfortunately.

vexborg
Senior User
Dec 27, 2007, 10:18 AM

She's dead, shot in the chest and neck, before the suicide bomber blew himself and several others up.
The gene pool needs cleaning - I'll be the chlorine.

MacosNerd
Professional Poster
Dec 27, 2007, 10:19 AM

She's dead

Wow this is going to destabilize that country further.

ebuddy
Posting Junkie
Dec 27, 2007, 10:19 AM

Originally Posted by Eug View Post
Interesting terminology:

“The surgeons confirmed that she has been martyred,” Bhutto's lawyer Babar Awan said.
Interesting indeed. She was rushed away as the result of a bombing incident with initial reports saying she was not injured. Then... she was injured, but by a bullet. (in a bombing?) Now... she's martyred. What the rambus?
ebuddy

ebuddy
Posting Junkie
Dec 27, 2007, 10:20 AM

Originally Posted by vexborg View Post
She's dead, shot in the chest and neck, before the suicide bomber blew himself and several others up.
egadz.
ebuddy

Big Mac  (op)
Clinically Insane
Dec 27, 2007, 10:29 AM

Originally Posted by ebuddy View Post
Interesting indeed. She was rushed away as the result of a bombing incident with initial reports saying she was not injured. Then... she was injured, but by a bullet. (in a bombing?) Now... she's martyred. What the rambus?
Curious and curiouser.

MacosNerd
Professional Poster
Dec 27, 2007, 10:30 AM

Originally Posted by ebuddy View Post
Generals call this the fog of war. The same thing occurs whenever a disaster occurs (man made or nature). So many reports start emanating that it takes time for the truth to sift out and clear up the confusion.

Big Mac  (op)
Clinically Insane
Dec 27, 2007, 10:34 AM

I don't know about that, Nerd. No one that I know of was reporting that President Kennedy had survived an attack on the day that he was assassinated. I was watching the news this morning as it was being reported right from the start, and as I said, in my opinion it smells of conspiracy.
( Last edited by Big Mac; Dec 27, 2007 at 10:46 AM. )

MacosNerd
Professional Poster
Dec 27, 2007, 10:46 AM

That may be true, but initial reports of the Kennedy assassinated did not report that he was killed but rather he was shot, even though he was dead.

Back when Ronald Reagan was shot there were so many conflicting reports about the attempt on his life, some of which was that he was not injured other reports said he was in grave condition etc.

The 911 tragedy was the same, first reports had a small plane impacting the building.

In this modern era where anyone can basically provide news reports, accurate information is getting harder to get amongst the "chatter"

I agree with you on the conspiracy though, its too convenient that a powerful and vocal opponent to the Pakistani leader has been eliminated

Weyland-Yutani
Mac Elite
Dec 27, 2007, 12:27 PM

Originally Posted by Big Mac View Post
RAWALPINDI, Pakistan — A homicide bomber ....
This is where I stopped reading, since I realized the writer of the article wasn't in touch with the real world but with his head up his ass.

“Building Better Worlds”

BadKosh
Professional Poster
Dec 27, 2007, 12:36 PM

...and therefore you were able to recognize his face when it slid in next to yours?

MacosNerd
Professional Poster
Dec 27, 2007, 12:39 PM

Originally Posted by BadKosh View Post
...and therefore you were able to recognize his face when it slid in next to yours?

Dork.
Professional Poster

Originally Posted by Weyland-Yutani View Post
This is where I stopped reading, since I realized the writer of the article wasn't in touch with the real world but with his head up his ass.
As politically charged as the term "Homicide Bomber" is, at least it's not inaccurate. Although the bomber's intent is to commit suicide, the manner in which he is doing it is designed to commit homicide as well.

xi_hyperon
Addicted to MacNN

Musharraff has declared a 3-day mourning period. Next up: My guess is the re-imposing of the government security clampdown and postponement of elections.

Mithras
Professional Poster
Dec 27, 2007, 01:44 PM

Terrible, terrible tragedy for Pakistan. I fear for whatever might come next. She was a problematic leader in some respects, but she was a stabilizing influence and a brave leader.

Police official Saud Aziz said it was a homicide attack.
And idiotic sentences like this are what you get when ideology, instead of clarity, drives editing choices. Not to mention the fact that Fox (or wherever you got this from) just did a mindless find-replace on "suicide."

MacosNerd
Professional Poster
Dec 27, 2007, 02:21 PM

Originally Posted by xi_hyperon View Post
Musharraff has declared a 3-day mourning period. Next up: My guess is the re-imposing of the government security clampdown and postponement of elections.
I wouldn't be surprised, but by the same token, this assassination could cause the nation to spiral into chaos if marshal law isn't invoked.

OldManMac
Addicted to MacNN
Dec 27, 2007, 02:32 PM

The stock market is taking notice as well.
Why is there always money for war, but none for education?

Arty50
Mac Elite
Dec 27, 2007, 04:54 PM

Originally Posted by xi_hyperon View Post
The other major opposition candidate also suggested that postponing the elections might be a good idea.

It's going to be really interesting to watch the aftermath of this...
"My friend, there are two kinds of people in this world:
those with loaded guns, and those who dig. You dig."

-Clint in "The Good, the Bad and the Ugly"

Wiskedjak
Posting Junkie
Dec 27, 2007, 10:30 PM

My guess is that Musharraff is behind this. He obviously has no interest in elections and Bhutto was the biggest threat to him maintaining power.

AngelaBaby
Dec 27, 2007, 11:30 PM

RIP Bhutto

davesimondotcom
Addicted to MacNN
Dec 27, 2007, 11:36 PM

This really sucks for the advancement of common sense, women's rights and moderate Islam in general. As well as the world.
[ sig removed - image host changed it to a big ad picture ]

Weyland-Yutani
Mac Elite
Dec 28, 2007, 01:35 AM

Originally Posted by BadKosh View Post
Sounds like you`re quite the ass-expert!

“Building Better Worlds”

MacosNerd
Professional Poster
Dec 28, 2007, 08:45 AM

Nah - I think he's just seen enough of your posts.

MacosNerd
Professional Poster
Dec 28, 2007, 08:49 AM

Originally Posted by Wiskedjak View Post
My guess is that Musharraff is behind this. He obviously has no interest in elections and Bhutto was the biggest threat to him maintaining power.
Could be true but I doubt it. He had to realize that this would cause a ton of civil unrest. Impact US relations, and thus $$$ coming his way and put a bulls eye on his back.

No I think this is the work of muslim radicals. Bhutto has long been a proponent of western values and has promised that she will not stop until those radicals are crushed and Pakistan is a full fledged democracy. That type of talk in a muslim nation is a death warrant.

BadKosh
Professional Poster
Dec 28, 2007, 09:16 AM

YOU were the one with the 1st comment about someones arse. Seems it's YOUR preoccupation.
Your trend continues.

vexborg
Senior User
Dec 28, 2007, 10:14 AM

Originally Posted by MacosNerd View Post
I wouldn't be surprised, but by the same token, this assassination could cause the nation to spiral into chaos if marshal law isn't invoked.
Too late for that.
The gene pool needs cleaning - I'll be the chlorine.

MacosNerd
Professional Poster
Dec 28, 2007, 10:36 AM

Originally Posted by vexborg View Post
Too late for that.
So it appears.

Eug
Clinically Insane
Dec 28, 2007, 10:38 AM

So, just how corrupt was she anyways?

Her last governments were criticized for being corrupt.

ebuddy
Posting Junkie
Dec 28, 2007, 01:35 PM

Now... she wasn't killed by a bullet.
ebuddy

Wiskedjak
Posting Junkie
Dec 28, 2007, 03:43 PM

Originally Posted by Eug View Post
So, just how corrupt was she anyways?

Her last governments were criticized for being corrupt.
I'm sure she was at least as corrupt as any politician.

Forum Links
Forum Rules