Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Applications > iChat won't launch!

iChat won't launch!
Apfhex
Mac Elite
May 23, 2004, 02:54 PM

It seems a simple enough problem, but I cannot seem to get it to launch (quits immediately after I try to open it). It worked perfectly for most of yesterday. The ONLY thing I've installed is the latest Apple Security Update. I've since restarted and repaired permissions, plus I double checked the permissions for iChat in the Finder. Console does not report anything at all regarding iChat. I've also deleted the preference files to no effect.

BTW, running 10.3.3, iChat 2.1, PBG4, and I've never encountered this issue before though I've heard lots of people talk about similar issues.
Mac OS X 10.5.0, Mac Pro 2.66GHz/2 GB RAM/X1900 XT, 23" ACD
esdesign

Apfhex  (op)
Mac Elite
May 25, 2004, 06:59 PM

*bump* By the way, it also doesn't work under another user account, so it must be a problem with the system or the app.

I tried to find iChat on my Panther CD's using Pacifist, but I could not! Where might it be?
esdesign

ryju
Professional Poster
May 25, 2004, 07:21 PM

iChat should be in the Essentials package under Applications IIRC. Otherwise did you try repairing permissions? You can also download iChat 2.1 and reinstall it at Apple's website.

Apfhex  (op)
Mac Elite
May 25, 2004, 07:24 PM

Oh, I didn't know they had it for download. At apple.com/ichat it says you can get it by buying Panther, and I didn't see a download link.

As I mentioned in my first post, I did repair permissions, it was the first thing I tried.

---

I reinstalled iChat and encounter the same problem. It "bounces" for a few seconds then quits. I really want to use iChat (Adium is pretty nice, but...), but not reinstall my system again.
( Last edited by Apfhex; May 25, 2004 at 07:35 PM. )
esdesign

Apfhex  (op)
Mac Elite
May 25, 2004, 09:47 PM

Turns out I found a solution on the Apple Discussion boards, so if anyone else has this problem...

http://discusssearch.info.apple.com/[email protected]
esdesign

Forum Links
Forum Rules