Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Applications > IE 5.0 Type 1s on page load

IE 5.0 Type 1s on page load
Herr Newton
Dedicated MacNNer
Apr 24, 2000, 04:26 PM

This is for a friend, a new convert who dumped her Compaq in favor of a nice G4. (Yes, I'm envious.)

Anytime a page load is attempted, IE 5.0 promptly crashes with a Type 1 error. I've trashed the prefs, Internet Preferences, the crap IE 5.0 drops into the system, and replaced the main application itself with a clean version. Still crashes.

System setup is a G4/400, 128MB of RAM, MacOS 9.04, and no goofy extensions outside of ATM Deluxe but anyone who has ATM knows that ATM is damned goofy anyway.

Suggestions?

Nevermind
Apr 25, 2000, 04:12 PM

Increase the memory allocation to IE5. This has solved all my IE5 problems.... so far.

P
Apr 25, 2000, 05:07 PM

Seconded. Type 1 errors can almost always be solved by giving the app more RAM, and for some reason web browsers traditionally ship with ridiculously small RAM partitions anyway.

You give the application more RAM by selecting Get Info for the app, selecting Memory from the popup menu and then increasing the amount in the lowermost box.
The new Mac Pro has up to 30 MB of cache inside the processor itself. That's more than the HD in my first Mac. Somehow I'm still running out of space.

Herr Newton  (op)
Dedicated MacNNer
Apr 25, 2000, 05:14 PM

Haven't attempted it, but I'm guessing it's not the solution. I personally installed IE 5.0 on that machine and the RAM partition is set sufficiently high. Furthermore, I also used IE 5.0 on that machine without any problems whatsoever. (No offense to the owner, but she doesn't know how to change memory partitions.)

If it's a RAM problem, one would think that the browser would at least be able to visit a page and then, once its memory cache is filled, hit a brick wall and die. But no... no, IE 5.0 dies whenever you try to load any page. It doesn't even negotiate the connection---it just crashes with a Type 1.

James A
Apr 25, 2000, 11:18 PM

Try playing with Virtual Memory. Turn it on if it's not at the moment; if it is on turn it off. Also try deleting the IE preferences.

Forum Links
Forum Rules