Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > iPhone, iPad & iPod > Play shared library with iTouch remote

Play shared library with iTouch remote
VxWolfxV
Jul 12, 2008, 04:20 PM

Not sure if this is possible, but thought i'd try asking anyway. I have an iPod Touch with with 2.0 update and the Remote app. The remote app works fine with 2 different libraries on two different machines.

I have one of the iTunes set to share its library on my network, so that i can listen to it no matter which computer i am at. Is it possible for the remote app to see that shared library and thus play it on another computer? Sorry if this isn't clear at all, so i'll try explaining it a different way.

1. iPod Touch with remote app.
2. Computer A with Library A
3. Computer A sharing Library A through network.
4. Computer B sees Library A being shared and can play it.
5. iPod Touch with remote app can see library of computer B but wants to play shared Library A through Computer B.

Is this possible at all?

Thanks

ajprice
Professional Poster
Jul 12, 2008, 05:26 PM

Because you're asking this, I take it that computers A and B aren't in the same vicinity and you can't just link your iPod straight to computer A?

It'll be much easier if you just comply.

VxWolfxV  (op)
Jul 12, 2008, 05:45 PM

They are, but the two computers are two different libraries. I can connect the remote app to computer B's library, but its not the music i want to listen to.

ajprice
Professional Poster
Jul 13, 2008, 05:06 AM

OK I've found this now, what you want might still be possible.

Going by that screenshot of the settings, you can add more than one library to Remote, so add the libraries from both systems, and switch between the library you want to control. I don't have an iPhone but this should enable you to control library A or B from Remote.

If you can get your computer A to link to computer B's speaker system with AirTunes and an Airport Express, you're done!

It'll be much easier if you just comply.

Forum Links
Forum Rules